Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Real Steel 7/10

This isn't going to win any oscars for acting but the robotic Rocky moments were cool.
Father meets son scenario to mix it up a bit and a chick who hangs around Hugh Jackman like a fly on a cows arse but the real steel in this movie is the sound of guitar strings twanging to the soundtrack - real nice.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Puss in Boots 7/10

Despite the pro-cat agenda, this was an enjoyable romp. It stays more in its world than the Shrek films, there are fewer references to jerk you out of the narrative and so the story works well. The action is fine, if not at the standards of Pixar's best.

My (cat-loving) teenage daughter and her friend loved every minute and the car journey back home was spent swapping favourite lines. They are already planning a repeat visit.

As for the nauseating London Olympics promo trailer. Euuuugh! That's five minutes of my life that I'll never get back. :(

Centurion

My gf is on a Michael Fassbender kick so I agreed to watch this one with her as penance for making her watch Zodiac. It was a Neil Marshall movie, so I went into it with some trepidation (Enjoyed Dog Soldiers though). Staring two of the guys from 300, including a minor character named Leonidas, and filling some of the larger scale battle scenes with flourishes of CGI blood that spray like cartoon liquid and never touch anything...yeah, it was easy to see what this one wanted to be. But the style and tone of the movie reminded me more of that movie King Arthur. You know, the one with Clive Owen...which strangely enough also starred one of the guys that's in this.

Okay. So it isn't very good. The characters aren't very interesting and we've seen this plot play out before in better movies. There is an arbitrary romance three quarters the way through and a strategically placed villain among the group of heroes whose actions in a pivotal scene are supposed to motivate the film's antagonists (the Picts) into hunting down a merry band of Roman fugitives, even though they seem to have enough reason to want to hunt them down regardless. The main villain is a feral huntress; a tracker who had her tongue cut out after being gang raped by some Romans...and you know what? I kinda wanted her to win. For a mute, she's actually the film's most interesting character. That's kind of the problem. There's plenty of post 9/11 buzz words here and the metaphors are crammed down your throat, yet the film isn't smart enough to do anything with these themes aside from using them to exploit scenes of violence. That is really what all the scenes of non-violence really are in a nutshell; glue to bind together all the blood and guts.

Just watch Braveheart. All these movies want to be Braveheart anyway. And Mel Gibson already did this one better when it was called Apocalypto.

Last edited:
Cyrus

I like Marisa Tomei. I like John C. Reilly. To an extent I can tolerate Jonah Hill, although his presence and voice often get on my nerves as much as Seth Rogan, save for a few exceptions. This is a pretty slow, deliberately paced movie and can often be boring. There are some funny scenes though. Mostly, it's just a snooze. It's well acted, I think you just might need a cup of coffee to stay with it sometimes. This is pretty much how I felt watching Lars and Real Girl; strangely interesting premise but a chore to digest. It's a movie people, lighten up!

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
Scott Pilgrim - 8.5/10
Basically 8.5/10 because it's an awesome movie but some of the best games references that were in the comics were not kept and some of the actors chosen were not exactly spot on. Still an instant favorite :D

A Nightmare on Elm Street - 7/10
The original movie, not the remake. First time I ever watched it, too xD
Was okay but then again I guess it would have had a different impact in a cinema + back in the 80s. In some scenes they did an amazing job with colors and lighting, though.

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
Candyman 1 & 2 8.6/10 both very good :)
Battle: Los Angeles 6.8/10 kept me interested at lease... typical thrill ride that turned out to be identical to ID4 but on the ground.

The Green Hornet 9.1/10 really good fun, looking forward to a sequel :)

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Cowboys and Aliens-4.5/10

I looked at the special features after watching the DVD and the producers talked about an "exciting blend of genres; the western and sci-fi".

Meh; incredibly average with a few interesting action sequences and a lot of flat and lifeless scripting.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
The Day the Earth Stood Still-6.5/10

I've seen this film before and couldn't remember a lot about it. That's usually a pretty good sign I didn't like it the first time.

I didn't mind seeing it again and it's not that lame. Reeves is actually well suited to the part of Klaatu.

I haven't seen the original version of this film in many, many years so I don't know if this remake is in anyway similar or follows the plot of the original. On it's own it's not too lame though.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
Mr. Finerman--an awesome surname for a man.

Xchange
(Score: 1/1, Original)

One of those movies that don't quite fit in due to its format or quirky execution, but it was refreshingly original (subjective) in both how the characters react in certain situations, and the ideas they had for this Xchange society.

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
Sherlock Holmes 2 - 8/10

Liked it more than the 1st movie, mainly because Jared Harris as Moriarty was a better villain than Blackwood in the 1st movie. Some of the slow-mo scenes are extremely well made (especially the forest scene), the ending scene is brilliant and RDJ + Jude Law are as good as they are in the 1st movie.

The plot could have been better and the gypsy didn't really feel necessary for the movie. Beginning was also a bit slow.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Battle for Haditha-5.5/10

War movie tries to tell the story of the horrors of war. Based upon real life events it does have a message or two but then seems to get a bit confused and directionless. Above average but not by much.......

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Limitless-7/10

Generally this was a pretty captivating film. It seemed to be divided into two halve where the first half used a lot more visual effects to tell the story. It did keep me interested for the full 100 minutes.

However I'm not sure if there is one outstanding plot hole:

Surely at the end, when he is running for Senator, his life would be put under the microscope and there would be numerous questions about his alleged involvement in the murder. Maybe not because it just shows how corrupt politics and politicians really are.

Good film; worth a look in my opinion.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Two films based on video games and featuring hyper-capable focus characters. One surprised me by being quite enjoyable, the other lived up entirely to my expectations.

Resident Evil: Extinction 6/10

Alice is frequently off-screen and this is much the better for that. The secondary characters are much better fleshed-out (sorry) for that and we get that sense of their fighting of a losing battle to survive (I enjoyed the little nod to Planet of the Apes).

The action is mostly OK if frequently implausible. Despite being hyper-capable, there were still clear limits to Alice's powers and so it didn't feel as though each battle were a foregone conclusion, even in the final boss-battle. The horror element often worked very well, with several creepy, tense, even frightening scenes.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a film based on a video game (and previous outings have been pretty grim) but I thought it well above average for the genre.

Hitman 3/10

This better met my expectations.

Empty of character, the nameless cypher (literally in this case) needed by a video game did not translate well to the big screen. Generating sympathy for the viewpoint character when he is, by profession, a stone-cold killer is always a tough sell and Hitman wasn't up to the job.

The seemingly infinite resources of the viewpoint character (at one point, down to just the shirt on his back but five minutes of screen time later, possessed of an arsenal that would leave Neo envious) killed any possibility of tension and the murky plot failed to convince that the baddies were really that bad (or capable).

Last edited: