Custom Pain and Taunt Sounds?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

J_L

Dec 14, 2005
I’m really stuck on how to even attempt to make my character in UT2004, or any character for that matter, use my own recorded sounds when getting shot, getting killed, taunts, etc. I’m sure there scripting involved and importing…I’ve read a few post on here about this but they go way over my head…would I need to record each sound separately as separate .wav files then bind them to an action of some kind in the characters script? (where ever that is) Like if I get hit by a bullet the character shouts in pain…and when the death action happens the guy does another sound. Also is there any other tools I need to download for this? Such as, Uscript?

I don’t know where to start…Please can you help?

Regards,

J_P

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
You can easily make Voicepacks using`s Paul Catalano`s VoicePackager (each sound must be recorded separately in 8bit mono wav format), for the other sounds (hit-, jump-,drowning- and death-sounds) you must code an own race using your sounds (this won`t be as easy and I don`t know any good tools for this)

Get the VP-tool from Lopar`s great site

Hope this helps

EDIT:
Don`t forget to also get my voicepack *lol*

Last edited by a moderator:

Lopar-XL

Currently trying to mend my mind, etc.
Jul 8, 2005
USA
profile.imageshack.us
Making custom VPs is actually an easy task, especially with Mr. Catalano's software (thanks for the props, MaxX). Now when it comes to making your own pain/death/jumping sounds, that's a horse of a different color. Apparently, Epic thought it was a better idea to not include these particular sounds in the voice module themselves. You will have to make your own species code that in turn references an audio module containing these voices.

I've actually managed to pull this off once, but I still don't understand completely all the details on how to do it. I've asked around and nobody knew of any clear and concise, step-by-step tutorials for making your own species and pain sounds for your characters. After a great deal of research, I was able to find a few scraps of info about this subject scattered hither and non about the four corners of the Internet. Through a combination of this paltry sum of knowledge, logical deduction, trial and error and whole lot of blood, sweat and tears I was able put together a complete custom species for the game. If I was an Unreal Editor wizard like all the other folks here, then this job would be easier.

Currently, I've got my hands full with work (boss is on vacation and we've got barely a skeleton crew), and various projects for whom I owe work for. When I have some spare time I will try to put together a tutorial for you. Please bear in mind that it won't contain a thorough description of species code because like I said I don't fully understand UScript myself. You can download my tutorial on making Voice Packs on this page in the meantime.