What the ^%@& !?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Imagofer

-_-
Oct 4, 2004
Osaka, Japan
THis is a friggin strange story; and its pissing me off;
My cousin was planning to play HL2 on his P2 pc, 399mhz, and when he installed it, and tried to play it he said it lagged, so he was looking for something (other than playing 800x600 all lowest setting) that could make the preformance of the PC/game better, I told him that i dont know, he said ok. - So after an hour or so, he calles me, and there is some kind of popup; it says "PIRACY ALERT" - wtf?
then continues wih some more load of crap like "YOU HAVE REGESTERED A SOFTWARE ILEGALLY, WE HAVE LOGGED THIS" etc. "A FINE OF 250k USD may be fined for incidents like theese" etc. - well you get the point.
SO naturally I asked my cousin what he installed last, and he said a software called GameGain :
lgscreen.jpg
SOme crap that looks like a rip off of cash, making games run faster :lol: ! Ya right, waht am I 3?!
Well back to topic, so I asked waht he did next. and he said he tried to use the slider (on the pic), to move it, then the pc restarted.
I varifyed this, when you enter the software, move the slider, the PC restarts, and commes up with the rediculous PIRACY popup, I fixed this using "msconfig", it turns out that its a startup system process called "SysUtil /Piracy" - from PGWARE.
Googled and got this:
Software Piracy Alert feature bundled with PGWare software. Cries foul when it detects an 'illegal' version. The alerts are reported to disappear as soon as the software is correctly registered. There are privacy issues though: "The Software includes a feature that assigns a unique order number to GameGain based on purchase information. The Software reports this number to us via the internet either when you run the Software or enter the registration number, or both. The Software may also identify and report to us your IP address, date and time of installation, registration and/or use. We use this information strictly to count the number of installations, detect unauthorized access or piracy of the Software, and develop rough statistical data regarding the geographic location of our users"

So not only are they selling software, but installing spyware, and warning me of committing a act of piracy which i didnt do!
but just to be on the safe side, i dont think that theyl sent anyone to my door saying that I commited pirecy and that crap right? this is basically the question I need an answer too; will they try to prosecute me for an act I didnt commit?!

Why ask?

Because if they do, Im gonna send them a email telling them that they are pissing me off with their rediculous BS!
so please give me an answer.

PS: the "piracy" poput commes on every time when the pc is rebooted.

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
I think that`s one of the programs people were using to get artificial high bench scores before futuremark came out with the patchs. Never used it myself, but I`ve herd of poeple using it.

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
I think their going to cross country lines, contact your local FBI and police dept, and bust down your door when your sleeping!!

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Imagofer said:
nothing, what does car trouble have to do with unreal forums?

you're dumb and unwanted so I'll explain it once more, not many people here play hl2 so the best way to get this answered is to ask on a hl2 forum. you still dont get it? well, I didnt expect anythign else from you.

Imagofer

-_-
Oct 4, 2004
Osaka, Japan
Balton said:
you're dumb and unwanted so I'll explain it once more, not many people here play hl2 so the best way to get this answered is to ask on a hl2 forum. you still dont get it? well, I didnt expect anythign else from you.

no ,YOU ARE DUMB! What does hl2 have 2 do with this?! i said he was trying to play it, and he downloaded Gamegain-crap in order to pump up his p2 system - I could have said any other game, the point is I dont like half life 2 either, but I used the game because mu cousin was playing it, its not a hl2-software issue, its the gamegain issue - it is convicting me of pirating it.

==================
|KEYWORDs BEING |
==================
+planning to play HL2 |
+GameGain |
++++++++++++++++++

PS: Balton is a sociopath :lol:

Last edited:

Evil_Cope

For the Win, motherfather!
Aug 24, 2001
Balton said:

See, the problem is you're targeting the wrong person.

Clearly.