Why do movies/games...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
have a hard on for Anubis?

Just off the top of my head:
Unreal Ch. 2
The Mummy
The Mummy 2
Stargate

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Yeah man, a whole of 4 examples?! Clearly the movie/game industry is focusing too much on them. Unlike buddy cop movies. Current military shooters. Romantic comedies. Bad licensed games. Old movie/old game remakes/remasters/HD versions.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Yeah man, a whole of 4 examples?! Clearly the movie/game industry is focusing too much on them. Unlike buddy cop movies. Current military shooters. Romantic comedies. Bad licensed games. Old movie/old game remakes/remasters/HD versions.

Eh, that was just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
If you want an example of another movie that has a hard on for Anubis, try 'Immortel' (based on Enki Bilal's Nikopol thing) where Anubis is featured. It is a minor appearance (most of the movie is dominated by Horus) but... but.

There was a fighting game where you could fight as Anubis too, I don't remember the title though. Oldie.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
In League of Legends there's a champion resembling Anubis.

In World of Warcraft, there are a lot of Anubis-like enemies and generally acient Egyptian mythology references.

In the power puff girls, there are a whole of TWO episodes centered around some kind of Anubis curse.

It never stops.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
However, on a serious note:

In almost each and every case that Anubis appears in a given movie/game/comic/book/cartoon thing, he either represents death (as he should :p) or is otherwise harmful. And almost every single time whatever he is involved in, fails miserably.

I'd wager this reflects our fear of death, of 'the end', with each victory over what Anubis represents, we symbolically beat death, for a short while we can imagine to ourselves that since the death god failed, maybe death will fail in our personal case. I supoose that is why he is so omnipresent, because in RL, death is omnipresent -- and at least in fiction we want to see that this thing can be beaten.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Anything about "death" becomes instantly evil in fictions

There was a fighting game where you could fight as Anubis too, I don't remember the title though. Oldie.

Wargods (which sucked).

Anubis was in the Zone of the Enders games too.
Shouldn't we complain about Greek gods being overused? All the recent movies with them involved fail miserably.

Last edited:

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
I remember "Eye of Horus" on the C64 back in the days. I didn't really like it though...

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGoNaqbJWiU[/M]

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Quake mission pack 2 "the dissolution of eternity" has some Egyptian levels. Not sure if there's a reference to Anubis, though.

Edith: Oops, meant Anubis and not horusbusduslusmunus naturally.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Greek gods in recent movies? Strange. I haven't seen a film with Budha in quite a while...
Lord of Light for the win!!!!! They totally need to make that movie.
Well, Horus ain't nowhere near as sinister as Anubis... :p

Actually, Anubis is supposed to be a pretty nice guy in actual Egyptian Mythology.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheMummyTrilogy

In "Sadly Mythtaken"
Anubis is not an evil god, not by a long shot. The closest thing late Egyptian mythology had to an evil god would probably be Seth, the villain of the Osirian cult and formerly a benign god in his own right; before Set there was Apep, the Immortal Serpent who would battle Ra every night for all eternity, explaining the shift between day and night. Then again, Rule Of Cool is in full effect, and Anubis is certainly one of the cooler gods: he essentially was a dying man's best friend, keeping carrion beasts away from your corpse, was present at the Opening of the Mouth ceremony marking a dead soul's entrance into the afterlife, and admitted the worthy into paradise. All around a pretty swell guy, and doesn't fall under Evil Is Cool by any stretch of the imagination. Oh well, everybody hates Anubis.