Unreal Texture UT site and S3TC releases

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Protos

Jan 23, 2008
I am going to make just one comment. I love your work ...... but there is something missing.

We need the textures on Deck 16 !!!!

Think of it as a personal request from a loyal tester/implementer/proponent :)

Diehard

What the hell happened ?

Before i reply to Protos

What the hell happened to all the posts from the last days, everything is gone?

Not just that, the the dates are all messed up. Posts on the previous page tell me they were posted today, while those post were made a couple a days ago. Is it just me or does anyone else see this too?

Edit

never mind, seems it was on my end. I deleted the cache and stored files and cookies, and all is normal again. Lol, that freaked me out.

Last edited:

Diehard

I am going to make just one comment. I love your work ...... but there is something missing.

We need the textures on Deck 16 !!!!

Think of it as a personal request from a loyal tester/implementer/proponent :)

Of course i can have a look at it, though i do have alot of requests lying around. But as always, it depends if i can make the base textures. And i need to have a look at those first. But its added to the list :)

Protos

Jan 23, 2008
Cool. I want to make a movie showcasing UTRP textures ..... there is no bigger or more well known/played map than Deck 16

Feb 3, 2010
diehard , I was wondering, when looking at the earth and moon the other day in levels which have a starry skyboxes ,did the previous earth and moon textures have stars integrated into the texture? as i've only just noticed that the new globes are surrounded by blackness and no stars.

Diehard

I always make the stars exactly as they are, and they actually are added individually to match the original. So if it lacks stars than the original texture also lacked stars. And vice versa if the S3TC version has stars, than the original had them as well.

But its a bad way to create planets and moons. You should never add stars to a planet or moon and have the textures masked. And the way Epic made them means you can see black gaps around it, or the stars are smaller than the stars on the background, or they are larger than the stars on the background.

Overal its a really bad idea to not have the texture masked and simply let the stars on the background do their work. And it leads to stupid things as you pointed out.....

Nebulas are a diffenrent story because you cannot make a properly masked nebula, so you have to add stars there. But for the planets, no idea why Epic did it that way. I can only say, bad Epic :rolleyes:

And i cant change it, if i would fix it for a certain map, than another map suffers from the "fix". And as i always say, its similar to the holoscreens in lots of maps. The were added mirrored by the mapper. Backthan i wouldnt matter because no-one could read them and they simply looked cool regardless. But with the S3TC textures you can, and some of them are mirrored. And if i fix it by adding them mirrored, than they become mirrored in the maps where it was done correctly.

So i guess we all have to ignore it and except it they way they made it.

Juergen

May 19, 2010
Thank you very much Diehard and everyone else, who are working on this unbelievable textures.

It is my first Post in this forum (sitting here in germany).

I found my way to this forum over this post from Diehard:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost.php?p=2421318&postcount=341

It helps me a lot in figuring out how to play "Return to Napali" with the S3TC textures (cause 227 is a no go).

My question:
I have read somewhere, that till today it is not possible to edit the textures, wich are used for the weapons (and monsters).
Now, that we play Unreal in a unbelievable detailed worl, it makes me wonder how can it be, that the weapon textures are still so... lets say: "unsharp" ?

Can you please give me a taste of the answer ?

For me, I ONLY play single player Unreal.
Is there a way to use better weapon / monster textures, which are banned from online gaming,
but can be used for single player ?

Thank you very much for your short answer.

Best regards,
Juergen

Diehard

Hey Juergen

Congrads with your first post and welcome to the forums :)

As for the textures for the weapons an monsters there are two problems. The first problem is myself, because i can make textuires alright, but making skins is a conmplete different ballgame. The skins for the weapons i can probably make because they are not that complicated. But the skins for the monsters and playerskins are to complex for me right now. But as i wrote before, i could try turn to a skin artist to have them made for us.

The second problem is to have the S3TC skins implemented in the game. And while i can update .utx files i lack the tools to alter .u files. And all skins for the weapons and lots of the monster skins are sitting in the UnrealShare.U and UnrealI.u.

And i am pretty sure the development team for Patch 227 can also make me a tool to solve that problem, i did not ask that yet. But when patch 227 is done i am sure they can come up with a tool so i can process .u files. So more or less its just a matter of time. And last resort it could be done through a mod, but i think an actual tool to process the .u files is the best way to go.

But at this moment, there simply are no textures, nor a mod, that could help out here. So your stuck with the current textures i am afraid.

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
Textures are just images, meshes are images that are conformed to a shape to give it a texture. Usually meshes are divided into parts, that cover specific parts of the object.

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
Hey Skillz,

Your explanation sounds good to those familiar with this arcane art, and I suppose those types can visualize exactly what you're saying.

I'll bet many plain old armatures (just users not trained in this arcane art) would need some examples of what you're saying. In that context, could someone list some examples of objects that would be classified as textures as opposed to meshes? Some pictures would be nice to illustrate the point.

In addition, do you believe meshes in Unreal and in UT will ever be made to appear more detailed, like that of the textures currently being worked on?

Curious minds want to know.

Freddie

Last edited:

Diehard

Though its all a bit off topic, and i am not an expert on this, so feel free to correct me.

But here is an example of a mesh:

mercwire.gif

The green lines are the polygones that gives the mesh its shape. So effectivelly the green stuff is the mesh. And since no-one likes to watch only the meshes, a texture is added over the surface, so you actually see what it represents.

And in this case the mesh has also animations, so it can move its arms, legs and head. And in general all meshes are referred as Actors in the editor. So weapons, plants, monsters, players, ammo, health, and decorations like barrels and tables are mostly meshes. The environment we called a map, is largelly built out of brushes, but actors can be added to fill up the map as decoration or pickups like weapons and health.

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
Diehard,

Yes, your descriptions really help in understanding the difference between textures and meshes. I'll bet that information will help others as well.

I'm not sure this subject (textures vs meshes) is really that off topic. The topic here is largely devoted to talking about textures, not? , To me at least, meshes seem to be closely related to textures and included in the texturing process. I may be wrong here. It happens.

Anyway, one more question: Will the Retexturing Project include upgrading meshes in its efforts. I guess I'm referring here to the weapons, plants, monsters, players, ammo, health, and decorations like barrels and tables that you mentioned in your post, above.

Thanks for the great response.

Freddy

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Meshes and textures are distinct and completely different. Meshes have no textures and textures have no polygons(meshes or models). I can prove this by asking you to enter an offline game and summoning a texture. Nothing will happen. Now you server admins know what happens if you summon a weapon without a server package line: invisible weapon.
The reason for this is textures must attach to some sort of polygon to render in the world. Summoning a texture fails because it has nothing to attach to. The opposite is true for meshes and models. If they have no texture assigned (no package line) you get invisi weaps. They still have collision, they still fire and stuff since the code is unaffected but you don't see them because the texture (skins) weren't sent across the server to the clients. This also happens with players leaving the server too quickly. We have all seen the weird greenish skins some players leave behind. That is the "default" UT texture being applied by the engine so the model has something to see it with.

Diehard, my apologies if this is turning into a hijack. I just saw a lot of wrong information here that should be corrected. If further clarification is needed, let's start another thread to keep this one on subject.

Last edited:

Kaal979

TheSinew
Jan 10, 2009
Germany
wtf skinmaker

With the new textures the original Unreal monsters look pretty sad!
Which tool is actually useful to skin them?
Can they have high res textures at all?

Diehard

Yes they can have high resolution skins. If correct there is a hardlimit of 512 x 512 pixels for skins wheater its player of weapon skins. But a couple a years ago i did test the S3TC textures on the playerskins and i could add a 1024 and 2048 skin to it. And seeing that test it looks like that S3TC can overide the hardlimit.

Here are two screenshots from that test:

S3TC_Playerskin01.jpg
S3TC_Playerskin02.jpg

The texture used in the screenshot is this 1024 x 1024 texture:

Of course it looks rediculous, but it proved its possible to switch the textures with the S3TC trick, and not only that, there seems no limit to the size. So theoretically it could be as large as 4096 x 4096 pixels. But i want to point out, its theoretical as I only tested till 2048.

Backthan i saw no point in trying higher, because i simply didnt know you could go as high as 4096 without having 8 terrabyte videocards. Extreme packages proof now you can do it easelly with a 512 videocard :)

Last edited:

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
I just saw a lot of wrong information here that should be corrected. QUOTE]

gopostal,

I hope you're not referring to me. My comments provide no information, which is defined as "communicating knowledge." None of my comments communicate knowledge. I'm only responding to information provided by people who are "communicating knowledge."

My posts contain no knowledge. :lol:

Freddie

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Yes they can have high resolution skins. If correct there is a hardlimit of 512 x 512 pixels for skins wheater its player of weapon skins. But a couple a years ago i did test the S3TC textures on the playerskins and i could add a 1024 and 2048 skin to it. And seeing that test it looks like that S3TC can overide the hardlimit.

Here are two screenshots from that test:

S3TC_Playerskin01.jpg
S3TC_Playerskin02.jpg

The texture used in the screenshot is this 1024 x 1024 texture:

Of course it looks rediculous, but it proved its possible to switch the textures with the S3TC trick, and not only that, there seems no limit to the size. So theoretically it could be as large as 4096 x 4096 pixels. But i want to point out, its theoretical as I only tested till 2048.

Backthan i saw no point in trying higher, because i simply didnt know you could go as high as 4096 without having 8 terrabyte videocards. Extreme packages proof now you can do it easelly with a 512 videocard :)

DieHared, that is just a texture and not a player skin, are you sure there wasn't a mistake on your part when you posted these pics?
EDIT: Ah I see you tried to apply that texture into S3TC.

Last edited: