The making of CTF-Safeguard, Lots of pictures

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Beta?, or wait a week or so for final?

• I want a beta

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I'll wait for the full

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
The making of CTF-Safeguard, Lots of pictures

FINISHED
BETA HERE
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=174560
post beta related things there

Hi everyone, first of its great to have BU back, I miss my post count thought haha, O well I’m a junior again 

Soo not long now until iv finished my map... All that’s left to do is one of the main big rooms joining the flag room.
Sorry about the photos, i didnt hold the camera flat to the paper, so they are distorted
So I thought Id start my thread showing everyone the progress, but seen as I’m almost finished im going to post up all my concept art and pics of the finished rooms (changes are likely)
Top Left (concept) , Bottom Right (final)
MAIN ENTRANCE
The main entrance this contains one of the alarms that is triggered when the flag is taken, you can just see it at the top of the final pic all the way above the pickup.
makingmaindevelopmentks4.jpg

HALLS
hallway connecting bases this was the first room I worked on, and as you can see its gone through 3 updates.
hallwaydevelopmentcv9.jpg

FLAG ROOM
Flag room was never quite happy with it but there it is.. also can see the second alarm there on the celling.
flagroomdevelopmenthy0.jpg

MAIN ROOM, LEFT
maindevelopmentfu6.jpg

LINKGUN ROOM
Link gun room hmmm very similar to the original.
linkroomdevelopmentnu0.jpg

ROCKET ROOM
Rocket room this took allot or work, getting it to a point where I was happy with it. Allot of thing in this area when through 3 concepts like the basic feature on the floor.
rocketroomdevelopmenttk0.jpg

SNIPER ROOM
Sniper room, I didn’t have a concept for this one, I had an idea and I went for it, I got the idea from the rocket room on coret with the curve going into the floor but unlike EPIC I don’t do anything without a trim (mapping rule #1 "NO BUTT JOINTS"), so you see my curves go into a hole in the floor.
sniperroomsy4.jpg

more updates soon

update:
Something I had to do yesterday, you might see in the rocket room pic where it joins to the sniper room that it joins with a 90 degree join.. i never liked this and so i extended the main base hall way so that i could shift the whole rocket room back this allowed the joins to be strait.. this was a mission selection the whole room, but i did it and in the end im happy with it.

Still doing concept art for the main right room. will work on the join from the flak room and the main right tonight. eather that or play test my basic main room BSP shell and make small changes before i get somthing final.

Update. 26/1
I did allot of work on the flak room over the past few days, its looking OK, I ended up increasing the length of the room by 2x, this is quite allot, as it was quite tiny when i first made it, so im unhappy that the beams on the roof look long and skinny, but im trying to see what i can do with this, Im moving house tomowow which is scary, Iv backed up everything just incase somthing goes wrong (like the other week, lost 3 hours werth of work :( )

Performance
The performance is pritty good, im making this on my OLD pc which has an AMD 3500 and 2x7800gt's and its running at 60-90 fps compared to if i open coret the game editor runs it at 40, whitch is odd becaused im sure mine has more meshes and it looks better to :S o well carnt complain about that.

Update 30-1-08
Hi everyone, Iv moved to my new flat now, havnt had time to do much on my map, but im getting there, started working on the last room now.

Last edited:

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Looks nicely built etc, but the one thing I don't like about this Liandri theme is that all the meshes are lit up like a Christmas tree, with those small off-white lights. What I would do is apply the "no lights" materials to them, and place your own light sources. That way you get more control of where the light is coming from, a better sense of contrast, colour, etc etc.

imo

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
you dont like those? hmmm well the meches are lit up only by my lights, those mesh lights wont give off any light unless i put a light by them which i haven't because i consider them to small to give off anything, if your referring to the bloom they give off, ill take that into consideration.,

edit, forgot to add a pic ...

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
I like the way you make concept art before you start builing a level. A way many level builders don't follow. Initial screens look good, but my only gripe is that is there any way to add doors? IIRC there supposed to be some kind of bug with bot behaviour that prevented using doors in UT3 or is it fixed..?

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
I like the way you make concept art before you start builing a level. A way many level builders don't follow. Initial screens look good, but my only gripe is that is there any way to add doors? IIRC there supposed to be some kind of bug with bot behaviour that prevented using doors in UT3 or is it fixed..?

Thanks for the comments

Um no doors, I was the first to discover the bug (other then epic) when i re added the doors to coret, its not just with bots, players can break the trigger also. its a problem that occurs (sometimes) when the triger is activated as the trigger is reversing.
UE3 is broken for door support.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Thanks for the comments

Um no doors, I was the first to discover the bug (other then epic) when i re added the doors to coret, its not just with bots, players can break the trigger also. its a problem that occurs (sometimes) when the triger is activated as the trigger is reversing.
UE3 is broken for door support.

That's really a shame, doors would add a great gameplay twist into levels, but I guess we have live with that. Maybe someone eventually find a way to fix it.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
That's really a shame, doors would add a great gameplay twist into levels, but I guess we have live with that. Maybe someone eventually find a way to fix it.

yes it is a shame, especialy for the mod community, but epic are aware of it so i hope they fix it.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Needs more elevators. ;)
Hmmm NO :) haha

Map looks great, when can we expect a final?

Umm honistly estimating, i have one room left for building geomity, its a big and chalanging room, give me 3 weeks (im moving so that will get in the way so maybe longer)

a few days to copy and roteate the base change colours set kismit for other base. im not just going to slap the two corodoors together, i thought id come up with some kind of middle room to.. will have to see what concepts i come up with.

A week bot pathing and testing bots

um so all up id say 2months at the most, hopfully. keep in mind i work 10 hour days and I dont get much time to work on it.. but i do my concepts at work :).. im at work now in fact woking on ideas for this last room...

Im very excited about getting it out to you guys, i know you will love it.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
My problem with level design is going from geometry shell to the fully meshed and lit final result. That doesn't make sense to me and I don't have the creativity to make it click. :(

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
yeh thats why i do concept art.. I also think about it all the time, thinking about what meshes im going to use, how i will put them together, their size, where i put my lights.

when i was working on the big room labled main room left above, i didnt start meshing for ages because i could not amagen meshing such a big boring room you see there in the BSP shell. but once you start you think bout it more and you get more ideas, i fully mesh out areas and expand from that rather then doing lil bits of a whole room, that way i see what im doing looks good, and dont waste time.

unbecoming

The Money U Could Be Saving W/out Barry
Jan 21, 2008
St.Louis,MO
hawt

This map looks sexy.Thanks for sharing the pics.I will definitely get it when u release it.I've seen enough to know I want it.

Very nice work indeed.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
thanks. haha i must say its a very stressfull task, im such a perfectionist I get so upset with things i dont like... I hate when i dont have any ideas. i go trough so many door way setups etc till i see what i like. (see the pics of the rocket room above to see the change to final)

Anyway, last night i did my basic BSP for the main right room, good scail, so ill start meshing it out once i have moved to my new house this weekend.

I had to increase the length of the flak room last night so that the connection between it and the main room lined up, iv started meshing it last night too, its a tricky one :D ahhh i must be honist, im getting so tired of working on this, im not giving up but when im not at work all my time is spent on this, and when i am at work all i do is think about this and do my sketches, everyone here thinks i im doing the wrong job, haha i work in a call centre

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
HEHE it is almost done

Cool this is a good looking level and I am very anxious to play it. Thanks for letting us track the progress in such a unique way. Don't forget that I cook maps for the PS3 and plenty of PS3 gamers will want this level as there is a dearth of good CTF maps on the PS3 so if you need any assistance in that arena let me know.