!!! WMP Contest Discussion !!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Postal

I apear to have lost my pin.
Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
Thats, 2, so lets make this fair.

I said I want a minimium of 10 entries. If 2 more people ask, I will grant a reasonable extension. Thats 40%, fair enough to me.

How does 2 weeks sound. the 15th of April, the day after my 20th celberation of hatching.

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
Postal said:
Thats, 2, so lets make this fair.

I said I want a minimium of 10 entries. If 2 more people ask, I will grant a reasonable extension. Thats 40%, fair enough to me.

How does 2 weeks sound. the 15th of April, the day after my 20th celberation of hatching.

*Cough* 15th of March you mean?

P.S.
April 12th is my B'day . . . close to yours, cool.

soldat

resident potato
Oct 28, 2002
the corner pocket
Visit site
lol.

i wouldn't mind an extension... i truly hate working with xinterface and designing menus.... which is what i'm doing right now.

probably w/ extra weeks i'd have the time to make a better product :D.... not saying that i actually need the extension... *wink*

Last edited:

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
soldat said:
lol.

i wouldn't mind an extension... i truly hate working with xinterface and designing menus.... which is what i'm doing right now.

probably w/ extra weeks i'd have the time to make a better product :D.... not saying that i actually need the extension... *wink*

*winks back*

Postal

I apear to have lost my pin.
Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
Heh, I mean March, ya, thats 3, anyone else want to file a claim?

So Mr. Praetorian, you poped out on a 12th? Hmm, what year do you claim?

Last edited:

debucode

More twisted than evil, man and machine.
Feb 20, 2004
Seattle, WA
One comment, on the guitar weapon idea:

I was thinking about a guitar weapon that worked like the link gun - where primary fire plays a riff that shoots out a continuous stream of notes. These notes can hurt enemies and boost team members. Alt fire plays a chord that causes an explosion around the player.

Even better, if the weapon would rotate the player's torso back and forth and side to side like they were playing an 80's metal solo.

Attachments

• strat.png
    strat.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 22

debucode

Feb 20, 2004
Seattle, WA
I'm planning an entry (just a little tweak to the BioRifle I've been playing with), but obviously better to believe me when the code actually arrives. I am cool with an extension if the polls are still open. Or at least, I'd like to be able make a "test submission" - I'm testing my stuff but none of my local droogs plays UT2K3, so I'm only able to test on my own machine, not on someone else's setup.

Any particular tips on what you guys do when you test? Like do you test networking with two boxes, or do you run server and client on one machine?

Dave C.

Last edited:

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
I could probably use an extension as well, as UT2004 and homework stuff (mainly the homework stuff) have been keeping me busy. :)

Ok, I'll tell everyone what my weapon is about. Basically, it is a gun that shoots blobs of oil for the primary fire, and flaming objects (like chairs, apples, etc.) that ignite the oil for secondary fire. Screenshots coming soon...

By the way, does anyone know of any good weapon modelling+skinning+animating tutorials? I'm still using the Assault Rifle model for now, but it doesn't seem to work too well.

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
Postal said:
Heh, I mean March, ya, thats 3, anyone else want to file a claim?

So Mr. Praetorian, you poped out on a 12th? Hmm, what year do you claim?

1989 - E.g. On April 12th this year I will be 15.

pwnt. Thats more than 40%!

About my weapon, I cant find any good skinning tuts. Mostly animated, just need a good skin and some coding. But I can't find any skinning tutorials that do me any good. . .

debucode

Feb 20, 2004
Seattle, WA
ROFL,
I'm by no means an expert skinner, but there are lots of tutorials on skinning in various tools (I guess you are using 3DSMax) - the one thing I've noticed is that they tend to focus on exactly how to do a particular model (usually a character), and not why you are doing all these things (like matching the skin against a checkerboard pattern, or even what the whole point is in the first place). Which makes it harder to generalize the techniques to different types of models. Are you specifically looking for a weapon tutorial, or a 3ds max weapon tutorial? Or a 3dsmax UT weapon tutorial...? Or more like the actual skinning image tips?

Personally, I'm sitting here with 3 or 4 models in UT2K3 which I didn't even skin at all - I defined constant color textures for the mesh skins. Later, I'll go back and make proper skins (luckily they are almost all very simple geometric shapes) - but for now I am just playing with the models. But part of that is because I've been using Milkshape and have been more worried about not being able to import meshes correctly than in how ugly my skins are...

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
debucode said:
ROFL,
I'm by no means an expert skinner, but there are lots of tutorials on skinning in various tools (I guess you are using 3DSMax) - the one thing I've noticed is that they tend to focus on exactly how to do a particular model (usually a character), and not why you are doing all these things (like matching the skin against a checkerboard pattern, or even what the whole point is in the first place). Which makes it harder to generalize the techniques to different types of models. Are you specifically looking for a weapon tutorial, or a 3ds max weapon tutorial? Or a 3dsmax UT weapon tutorial...? Or more like the actual skinning image tips?

Personally, I'm sitting here with 3 or 4 models in UT2K3 which I didn't even skin at all - I defined constant color textures for the mesh skins. Later, I'll go back and make proper skins (luckily they are almost all very simple geometric shapes) - but for now I am just playing with the models. But part of that is because I've been using Milkshape and have been more worried about not being able to import meshes correctly than in how ugly my skins are...

I need a weapon skinning tutorial -
I have:
A complete geometrically complex model + ammo container
Mostly finished animating

All I need is a tutorial on how to skin it. The weapon is finished, exept for skin and code, and a small amount of animating.

Edit: Yes im using 3ds Studio Max 6

debucode

Feb 20, 2004
Seattle, WA
Well, I suspect part of the reason that there aren't so many weapon skinning tutorials is that skinning is not dependent so much on the model being a weapon as much as it is about how to break the model into easily skinnable parts. A "weapon" could be a lot of different shapes, and the shapes determine the skin. For instance even though I threw out my topology textbook a long time ago I am quite sure that lava projector you have in that screenshot is not[\B] going to skin up quite the same way as the uzi. Not at all.

So I say, just do it.

Dave

PS. I actually am not using 3dsmax (I'm using Milkshape and Ultimate Unwrap 3D) so I can't really provide specific advice about how it is supposed to be used. But, you might find it easier to look at some some generic-type tut's and maybe even work through those examples:

http://jozef.3dpixel.org/
This has like a slideshow tutorial on skinning a model in 3dsmax.

http://www.planetunreal.com/swartz/tutorials/tut_unwrap.htm
General UV mapping a model with 3ds max. The skinning for this is a lot like how I have been doing stuff in Ultimate Unwrap 3d.

http://www.leveldesigner.com/index.php?action=doc&ID=162#10
Static mesh skinning of a table.

http://psychokillax.tripod.com/html/weaponskinning.html
Weapon skinning in an old version of 3dsmax. Okay I will say this skin is flat out wrong even by my lax standards.

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
debucode said:
Well, I suspect part of the reason that there aren't so many weapon skinning tutorials is that skinning is not dependent so much on the model being a weapon as much as it is about how to break the model into easily skinnable parts. A "weapon" could be a lot of different shapes, and the shapes determine the skin. For instance even though I threw out my topology textbook a long time ago I am quite sure that lava projector you have in that screenshot is not[\B] going to skin up quite the same way as the uzi. Not at all.

So I say, just do it.

Dave

PS. I actually am not using 3dsmax (I'm using Milkshape and Ultimate Unwrap 3D) so I can't really provide specific advice about how it is supposed to be used. But, you might find it easier to look at some some generic-type tut's and maybe even work through those examples:

http://jozef.3dpixel.org/
This has like a slideshow tutorial on skinning a model in 3dsmax.

http://www.planetunreal.com/swartz/tutorials/tut_unwrap.htm
General UV mapping a model with 3ds max. The skinning for this is a lot like how I have been doing stuff in Ultimate Unwrap 3d.

http://www.leveldesigner.com/index.php?action=doc&ID=162#10
Static mesh skinning of a table.

http://psychokillax.tripod.com/html/weaponskinning.html
Weapon skinning in an old version of 3dsmax. Okay I will say this skin is flat out wrong even by my lax standards.

Thank you so much for the great tutorials! That should be all that I need to complete my model. Other than coding of course, lol.

I hope that my weapon will come out well, and it's not so geometrically simple to easily skin, but I will give it a shot, just the same!

P.S.
I need to skin both the 1st and 3rd person models, correct?

debucode

Feb 20, 2004
Seattle, WA
Well, I only just skimmed the tutorials, so caveat emptor as they say. But they looked like an okay start to me.

You basically need to skin both models if you want to be able to paint skins for them. If you define a pickup you will also want a model for the pickup which will also need a skin. But you can always re-use models and skins (for instance I think it's common to reuse the 3rd person model/skin to make a static mesh for use as a pickup).

soldat

resident potato
Oct 28, 2002
the corner pocket
Visit site
it's so stupid that you need a static mesh for a pickup (or it's expected, at least, for the spinny weapon display). static mesh files are big and importing them sucks... 3dsmax => milkshape => ued.

but life's like that :D

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
soldat said:
it's so stupid that you need a static mesh for a pickup (or it's expected, at least, for the spinny weapon display). static mesh files are big and importing them sucks... 3dsmax => milkshape => ued.

but life's like that :D
What I just do is export from 3dsmax in ASE (ASCII Scene Export) format then import into UnrealEd directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.