UDK Passes 50,000 Users in One Week!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
In the week since UDK was released, people have been going nuts over it. The official UDK forums are buzzing daily and cool and exciting projects are already in the works on the technology. Today, Epic has issued a press release stating that UDK has eclipsed 50,000 users in over 100 countries across the world. Along with this, they also mention the "imminent" release of more updates to the beta version of UDK, seeming to imply that user feedback and feature additions should be coming soon.

Epic Games, Inc. announces the Unreal Development Kit (UDK), a free software release that provides uncompromised access to the award-winning Unreal Engine 3 toolset, has exceeded 50,000 users worldwide since its launch on Nov. 5. This rapid adoption of Unreal Engine 3 technology extends to approximately 130 countries and 4,500 cities across the globe.

Epic plans the imminent release of updates for the UDK beta version. UDK is available for download at www.udk.com, where product features, licensing terms, frequently asked questions, support resources and more are also available.

As usual, the full press release can be found in the comments thread.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Epic Games’ Unreal Development Kit Eclipses 50,000 Users in One Week

Users in over 100 Countries Embrace Free Unreal Engine 3 Toolset

CARY, N.C. (November 12, 2009) – Epic Games, Inc. announces the Unreal Development Kit (UDK), a free software release that provides uncompromised access to the award-winning Unreal Engine 3 toolset, has exceeded 50,000 users worldwide since its launch on Nov. 5. This rapid adoption of Unreal Engine 3 technology extends to approximately 130 countries and 4,500 cities across the globe.

Epic plans the imminent release of updates for the UDK beta version. UDK is available for download at www.udk.com, where product features, licensing terms, frequently asked questions, support resources and more are also available.

UDK is available to anyone interested in using 3D game engine technology, from game developers to students, hobbyists to researchers, and creators of architectural walkthroughs to digital filmmakers. Use of UDK is free for all schools and students, and anyone can release free UDK-powered games.

"We are very excited to see the uptake of UDK cross over the 50,000 mark in only one week, and we're looking forward to seeing amazing games and applications come out of it," said Mark Rein, vice president of Epic Games. "We're also thrilled to finally be able to offer UDK free for schools and students so they can work with the same awesome Unreal Engine 3 tools used by many of the top game developers and publishers around the world."

Extensive UDK technical documentation is available at the Unreal Developer Network (udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitHome.html), and community members can share ideas, show off projects and learn from UDK developers like Psyonix and The Prometheus Team at www.udk.com/forums.

3D Buzz (www.3dbuzz.com), the leading provider of Unreal Engine 3 training, will soon release dozens of free video tutorials specific to UDK to complement the company’s existing Unreal Engine 3 video training modules. Over 100 Unreal Technology videos are viewable at the 3D Buzz web site free of charge.

“Mastering Unreal Technology, Volume I: Introduction to Level Design with Unreal Engine 3” and “Mastering Unreal Technology, Volume II: Advanced Level Design Concepts with Unreal Engine 3” are the recommended textbooks for learning Unreal Engine 3 tools and technology. 3D Buzz authored both reference texts, published by Sams, and each come bundled with a free, downloadable copy of “Unreal Tournament 3” for PC.

Individuals and companies wishing to develop software for commercial purposes should refer to licensing terms at www.udk.com/licensing. Commercial terms have been structured to make it easy for independent developers, start-up firms and seasoned professionals to use UDK with minimal financial barrier from concept to deployment.

About Unreal Engine 3

The award-winning Unreal Engine is known for cutting-edge graphics and its best-of-breed toolset. Unreal Engine 3 maintains those features in addition to multi-core processor support, Xbox 360® and PLAYSTATION®3 optimizations, massive world support, and a highly mature tool pipeline. Unreal Engine 3's consistently evolving toolset is designed to accelerate developers' productivity for PC and console games, visualization applications, training simulations, and linear animated content. Additional information on Unreal Engine can be obtained through the Unreal Technology Web site at www.unrealtechnology.com.

About Epic Games

Epic Games, Inc., based in Cary, NC and established in 1991, develops cutting-edge games and cross-platform game engine technology. The company has created multiple million-selling, award-winning titles in its “Unreal” series, including “Unreal Tournament 3” for PC, PLAYSTATION®3 and Xbox 360®. Epic’s “Gears of War” won over 30 Game of the Year awards, and the sales of "Gears of War" and “Gears of War 2” have eclipsed 11 million units. Epic's Unreal Engine 3 is the three-time consecutive winner of Game Developer magazine’s Best Engine Front Line Award and is this year's Hall of Fame inductee. Unreal Engine 3 has also been recognized as the number one game engine by Develop magazine. Additional information about Epic can be obtained through the Epic Games Web site at www.epicgames.com.

© 2009, Epic Games, Inc. Epic, Epic Games, Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Unreal, Unreal Development Kit, Unreal Editor, Unreal Engine, and Unreal Tournament are trademarks or registered trademarks of Epic Games, Inc. in the United States of America and elsewhere. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
Probably downloads. Many thousands of which just wanted to try out a more recent UT3 demo or see the new editor, but don't have plans of releasing anything. However, I'm sure many of those downloads will seed great things. I'm looking forward to the influx of new games despite my lack of time to play them all :)

BlackCheetah

Jan 22, 2008
I am making a game on it right now on it, I have to say all the graphics stuff I don't really want they are nice for a single player game but sometimes people like to play for hours withour losing eyesight, huge graphics for MP games which I will be making is not good idea unless its a realism shooter.

I'll post one day when the game reaches 0.5.