Newnet's dud hitscan shots - A Detailed Explanation

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Nunchuk_Skillz said:
But that doesn't say anything at all about newnet, and I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up. I think you're trying to say that they'd adapt to having a 30 ping deficit and still win, but that's a pointless statement because a) you're not talking about even teams, since they're so stacked, and b) Cursive would almost never allow his team to play with a ping deficit anyway (gee, wonder why...).
The teams I've *really* been trying to talk about are [P*] and |C|, Horizon was a mixture of the two. What I was trying to say is that IMO a 30ms ping in the situation of these two teams playing is not going to be the determining factor in who wins or not.
A more meaningful question would be: if Cursive's team had a 30ms ping disadvantage against a team that presented even a minor threat against his team, would he be okay without using newnet, or would he insist on newnet?
Maybe so, but if you ask me that has more to do with personal preference than that he believes it will cause him to lose.
So if you're going to keep bringing up old teams that were good, please at least apply it to the discussion in a meaningful way. And the only way to do that is to either think about 2 evenly matched teams and a ping disadvantage to one of them and how newnet would or wouldn't affect the outcome, *or* to think about whether the disadvantaged team (in terms of ping) would prefer to play with or without newnet.
[P*] and |C| are arguably the most evenly matched teams ever to have existed in 2kX. No other team has really matched them.

ALG

Gallardo
Jul 26, 2005
WI, with the other pro gamers
-AEnubis- said:
Naa, the more I pactice lately, the less that 30ms effects my LtG. I've been shooting 30%+ on the west coast, and I'd like to think if I was competeing, and had a slight ping disadvantage, compensation could be made with accountance and teamwork. Not to mention, as I said, all this gets thrown out the window IMO as soon as there is one single sub40 ping involved. Then I don't care if my ping is only +10 to theirs at 50, that low of latency destorys balance. The difference isn't my problem, it's breaking the minimum.

Im not sure if you posted about this before and I missed it but could you please explain or quote the explanation of this minimum breaking problem. Im kinda a newbie at the internets.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I think he's referring to the point where you ping is low enough that you don't have to lead hitscan shots at all with stock netcode so it's almost like playing on LAN.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Basically. Once your ping drops below 30, all hit-scan in this game becomes much easier to use becasue you don't have to lead it at all. Not to mention dodging projectiles becomes easier because you see them coming a lot sooner. I was playing one game where I had a 70 ping, and before I noticed it in my LtG (which I did, but barely) I noticed that I was not nearly effective at dodging rockets at mid-close range. I think ping hurts me more there than anywhere, but that just means I need to stay 30-40ms further away from my target.

So, yeah, +1 to hit-scan, -1 to projectiles = -2 to balance. The only reason we even have any fun playing this game on LAN is because none of the guys we play with are total whores about anything.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
But newnet is +1 hitscan, +1 projectiles, +1 each for link gun secondary and minigun primary... So what does that do to balance? :hmm:

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
Flak primary with newnet is wicked.

With newnet it is harder to react to flak primary.

I remember it almost feeling like hitscan because I barely even was aware of the flak cannon firing before it tore me up, so I imagine it was the same for the other players, aswell.

It's easier to use rockets with newnet instead of regular netcode with 70+ ping, atleast using rockets in a more skillful way than shooting it at at the floor.

Trying to lead someone that is dodging sideways or falling is hard with 70+ ping without newnet, you practically have to lead so far that they aren't in your fov.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That's not true.

even at 150 ping you only have to lead a couple of centimeters.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
If it changes everything then it's not really the same game anymore is it.

The only time it's +1 to projectiles, is when they are invisible. Link shaft, and mini prime already fall into hit-scan.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
-AEnubis- said:
If it changes everything then it's not really the same game anymore is it.
So if I write a mutator that changes all the weapons' powers it's not the same game? Sounds to me like it'd be UT2004 with a mutator on it. Which is - GASP! - what UT2004 is with UTComp applied! :eek: