gas

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

nitrous{e}

Feb 17, 2005
I'm getting the impression (hoping) patch 1b isn't far away now, so this may be my last chance to have a rant...

I'm totally gonna get flamed for this - but the gas grenade just ain't what it used to be and I've seen nothing in the changelog hinting it's gonna change.

Used to play U2XMP a lot. I play from New Zealand so lag is a problem (which isn't gonna change till sombody disproves Einstein). This meant playing ranger was a bit of a joke, try sniping with a lag of 200! Gunner & tech it was.

Was stoked when FMI announced UTXMP, XMP has a future - woo hoo - all hail FMI! UTXMP came out and it showed huge promise, but as the masses noted, the game balance had changed. Everybody moaning about the pistol, shotty and rocket launcher - nobody's said anything about gas. The gas grenade is now near useless. (Yeah - I know - thank **** for that you all say!) But it's taken a lot of strength away from the tech.

I'd love to see the gas grenade return to somthing like what it was in U2XMP. The rate the gas comes out of the grenade needs to be increased. At the moment is far to slow to be useful, you fire a grenade and oponents are all well away before it slowly starts to seep a little. Fire fights are usually over in a few seconds, so the gas needs to be there near instantly to be any use.

I know everyone hates gas, but it's good for a few things. It allows people on crap pings like me to get a few kills. It's also good for newbies, and we need a few more of them on the servers.

Flame me if you will - but bring back the gas!!

BTW - thankyou FMI for giving this great game a lifeline. Can't wait till 1b comes out and the servers a full again!

Mar 6, 2004
*sets you on fire getting you flamed*

200 bad ping for sniping eh? try 250+ or even 400 with tons of outloss :lol:

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
[pet]Crow apparently has horrendous ping and outloss/inloss and still dominates, but he probably hax too. (Did I just say "probably"? ;) )
I try Ranger every once in a while with my 250-350 ping; can't hit anybody with the sniper rifle unless they're standing still.

Is this kinda what you're asking for?:
10/04 Increased particle generation rate and size for gas and flame radiators attached to players
Yay, now noobs can spam more efficiently! :rockon:

Jan 13, 2005
Tampa FL
www.
sounds like it changes the the amount of emitters to block your veiw, so you actually get blinded by the flames/gas. right now it only blocks ur view if you look down... i do think the gas nade is much more effective with a wider explosion radius and so hopefully i will be fixed with the new patch as well ;) go FMI...

nitrous{e}

Feb 17, 2005
10/04 Increased particle generation rate and size for gas and flame radiators attached to players

Wondered about this one but figured it meant gas and flame effect will appear to stick to players more when they've been gassed/flamed.

FMI - any chance of a quick word on this??

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
I think it means gas clouds will look larger than before. This, maybe because in 1a the damage area felt bigger than the cloud itself. And about the flames, in 1a it only affected your vision if you looked straight down.

nitrous{e}

Feb 17, 2005
Thanks for reply IndianPsycho :cheers:

How about the gas nade tho? Has it been toned down on purpose? Is there any chance it will be beefed up again?

JaGo

nbk-JaGo
Feb 24, 2004
Tech still has machine/rocket turrets as well as the all-mighty shotgun. Gas is perfect exactly the way it is in the current build, IMHO.

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
Yeah if they leave the turrets silent but deadly as they are in the current build, it basically balances out with the weaker gas. But I hear that the turrets will not be silent anymore, and will be nerfed.

Also, the gas in this build is actually pretty effective in small maps / closed quarters. It's just that it has nowhere near the radius and quick-spreading damage field that it had, for outdoor wide-open fights.

JaGo

nbk-JaGo
Feb 24, 2004
Bleeder said:
Yeah if they leave the turrets silent but deadly as they are in the current build, it basically balances out with the weaker gas. But I hear that the turrets will not be silent anymore, and will be nerfed.

Also, the gas in this build is actually pretty effective in small maps / closed quarters. It's just that it has nowhere near the radius and quick-spreading damage field that it had, for outdoor wide-open fights.

Bleeder,

That has got to be the most rediculous thing I've ever heard you say. The turrets should be close to the effectiveness found in U2XMP. As far as that goes, I wish they had made it so you couldn't carry more than 2 turrets at one time forcing you to place them before reloading. Turret farming would be a thing of the past and then, god forbid, you would actually have to aim and shoot at someone to get points. I know that's not something you're accustomed to. :rolleyes:

You swore you wouldn't play UTXMP. Any chance you'll keep your word?

PRG

XMP Beta Tester
Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
JagoXmp said:
Bleeder,

That has got to be the most rediculous thing I've ever heard you say. The turrets should be close to the effectiveness found in U2XMP. As far as that goes, I wish they had made it so you couldn't carry more than 2 turrets at one time forcing you to place them before reloading. Turret farming would be a thing of the past and then, god forbid, you would actually have to aim and shoot at someone to get points. I know that's not something you're accustomed to. :rolleyes:

You swore you wouldn't play UTXMP. Any chance you'll keep your word?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

aeqos38/5

The unusual immortal
Apr 21, 2005
Victoria, BC
iz.fragism.com
Bleeder said:

I agree completely. Gas me up! ;)

JaGo

nbk-JaGo
Feb 24, 2004
aeqos38/5 said:
Anyone who says gas is too strong in u2xmp is not a tech normally. Come on! Just challenge me!

Haha... here come the excuses.

Anyone who says "blah, blah, blah, is not a tech normally" has obviously never bothered to learn the other two classes. :rolleyes:

And for your information, Tech is MY class. It's the class I learned to play from the beginning and it's the class I play the most.