UT99 sticky walls

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

OrionCo30

Nov 8, 2001
Visit site
In a map I'm currently making, there is a very deep and rather narrow well which is a passage from one part of the map to another. Players are supposed to fall freely into it, but they will sometimes "stick" to the walls of the well, as if they just touched a glue covered spot. :eek: I tried setting zone surface friction to zero, zone fluid friction to zero, using BlockAlls to keep players away from the walls, all to no avail. :mad: Is there a way to eliminate that wall stickyness or do I have to live with it?

Megatherium

Feb 29, 2004
clarification is required:

is it something that only happens to bots?

if no to the above, is it something that you can do if you want?

if no to the above, is it something that happens to players/bots randomly?

one possible solution would be to line the walls with kickers that just lightly nudge the player/bots inwards- towards the center. depending on how many sides and how large the well is, you might be able to do it with 4-8 kickers

if you do that, remember to set their collision heights to the depth of the well. go to the 3D viewport and right-click at the top of it then select actors>radii view to see the kicker's radius and height.

OrionCo30

Nov 8, 2001
Visit site
It happens to players and to bots alike.

It happens more or less randomly, anytime a player or bot scrapes against one of the walls.

The Kicker idea sounds like a very good one. The well is 8 sided and 128 units in radius. There is nothing around it but solid stuff, so I can set collision radius and height to pretty much anything I need. I'll try it and report back, thanks :)

OrionCo30

Nov 8, 2001
Visit site
Well, the kickers worked. However, while fiddling with velocity settings, I stumbled on another solution. Zone off the well, put a ZoneInfo in it, set TerminalVelocity to 0 and ZoneVelocity to -2500 in the Z direction. The player will just fall straight down with no side motion, even if he tries to use air control. Thus, the player never touches the walls and never gets stuck on them. All you have to do is allow the player to fall an appropriate distance before reaching the zoned off part and everything looks perfectly smooth and regular. Thanks again for your suggestion, I'd have struggled with that problem for days without it, and probably would have given up in the end. :D

Megatherium

Feb 29, 2004
a lot of weird stuff comes out of making maps for UT; sometimes i'd like to know how i made it do a certain thing so that i could use it somewhere else.

but anyway, glad i could help.

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
It's a known bug, because of it you can complete one of the ONP maps in 2 mins by dropping down in some places instead of the 30 mins it takes if you go all the way around.