Why does Malwarebytes view a Windows 3.1 program as malware?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
unreal-games.livejournal.com
I still use a lot of prgorams that I've been using since as far back as I've been using computers, though in some cases I've had to go hunting for downloads to find some I've lost. Like this thing:
211613_original.png

Handy little mouse tool. Right-click selects weapons, left-click shoots. You can destroy your desktop or whatever windows you had open before activating it...

...which is handy for destroying certain annoying people on Twitter:
211884_original.png

It makes me feel better. Sue me.

Here's what I don't understand: Malwarebytes views the program as malware, although AVG doesn't. It isn't malware but it keeps getting recognized as such by 1 of the 2 system checkers I've got.

Why is that?

nawrot

Jan 23, 2008
Upload it to virustotal and see who detects it. I think it is false positive. If its not detected by most, zip it with pssword "infected", email to malware bytes and explain situation. They will fix their detection.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Scanners have been detecting the 'joke' program category for years, only in the name of 'trusted computing'.

Most of the "VIRUSES FOUNDED!!1!!11!" results I get are often the DOS-era things like an innocent program playing pc speaker noises with claims of 'washing your computer'. Unfortunately this misinformation also reclassifies them as 'viruses' and knowitall new PC experts claims these are viruses from that. With today's paranoia, After Dark's Bad Dog module would be a "virus" only for it pretending to wreck your computer. Maybe even that old dinosavr.scr that tears your screen too

(and the other results I get are just the typical packed EXE files, since commercial compilers and linkers are bloated as hell these days.)

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
It probably thinks it's malicious because it's a program that's made to fuck up your screen and is so ancient that it's unsurprisingly not in their database. I'm willing to bet AVG doesn't flag it because almost everything gets by it.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
I don't understand the surprise.
Anti virus programs have detected original Windows files as malware and in turn fucked up the system.
Why wouldn't they detect a random program as malware?

nawrot

Jan 23, 2008
TBH, with more than 500k of new viruses per day nobody cares about some single ancient joke program. Times when every sample had proper name, variant and description are long gone. If that thing has encryption that was used by some real virus it will be detected just because its encrypted.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Yes, probably a false positive, but why.....I have no idea. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware fixed my Mom's computer recently when Avira's AntiVir could not.