Any tips for a CTF base layout?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Parias

Minitech Executive
Sep 30, 2000
Visit site
I'm in the process of making a map (CTF-AquaLand). It's my first fortay into the mapping biz, and everything's going well so far.. I'm putting extra effort into it in the hopes it'll come out looking at least somewhat professional, and maybe even enjoyable :)

Anyways, the idea has it that Red's base is located underwater. Blue's base is located a significant distance above, perched on a beachhead just above water. The two are connected via a long elevator system, but rebreathers will also be available (along with accessable entrances) if one wants to swim.

Now, I've really reached a block as far as Blue's base should go. The best I can come up with is.. well, a bunch of boxes connected by other boxes. Horrendous, I want something that stands out a bit more, but I can't think of anything. I've gone through a few other CTF maps, but the inspiration just isn't coming..... any tips at all guys? :)

I should mention that Blue's base will have two primarily accessable entrances.. one is, of course, the elevator system (there will be two elevators, one dedicated for each team to keep it fair), the second is an entrance on the beachhead which you can enter just by waltzing up some stairs.. presuming you can make it past the guys on defense :)

Any advice is appreciated.. thanks! And yes, I've read through both the forums and tutorials extensively, any info I can find I grubblingly absorb instantly. I'm just seeing if anyone else has any insane ideas here.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
It might contain a lot of pipes as well. ;)

I'd create some kind of industrial looking dock building with sub pens like in AS-Oceanfloor. But this is just a theme...the decoration pretty much depends on the layout you've created. (If you've created a layout)

I always sketch out a map onto paper. If I want to create some kind of theme map I draw decorational elements and then "dress them into a layout". If I create a map focused on gameplay I spen 1-2 days sketching out the layout and then I sketch out the decos. This takes a lot of time and during this period of mapping (it belongs to level design) I don't even touch the editor. I'm good at drawing so I can visualize things to see if they look good...

When everything is clear I start working on the map...and I'll have really few mapping blocks.
(It's only my freetime what limits my creativity. :) Well not exactly...every time I can get hold of ANY paper I start planning textures, weapons, deco elements. The "Any kind of paper" often includes stuff I shouldn't draw on. :))

Parias

Minitech Executive
Sep 30, 2000
Visit site
Ooooh, a reply from the master himself, I'm honored :) Thanks for the tips guys. I think I might be able to get rolling again...

purice

coon dog
Dec 19, 1999
Visit site
my two cents:
since you didn't take the 'symmetrical' approach, pay special attention to how balanced the two bases are. nothing annoys me more than a ctf layout that favors one side or the other.

Parias

Minitech Executive
Sep 30, 2000
Visit site
Hell yes, I've gone over multiple articles regarding symmetrical/non-symmetrical approaches for CTF maps.. all of them scream "balance! BALANCE!". It's the first thing in my mind, and once I get the basic geometry lain out, I'll be working to ensure both teams have respective advantages and disadvantages :)

DrWinky

i didnt do evil school to be called Mr
Jun 20, 2001
UK
Visit site
Hey guys

thiS souNds like A cool idea, but i disagree with the absolute symmetry rule, and i also thinK its possiblE to fool the playerS A little, by addiNg in Different prefabs in each base, and having the approximate LAyout the same for each.

The Difficulty will come with the beachheaD, limiting thE sea exits, or the base will have almost fRee aceSs from all sides. this should be quite tRicky, as the underwater base entrances will all be bOttle neCKS, perhaps some sort of cliffed island (like the jurassic park 2 deal in the book) with high cliffis and a few paths. This will leave scope for the lava flow tubes through rocks, giving more acess.

ive made one (started) along this theme also, but not excessively underwater sections (subterranean cavern ideas)#

good luck man, and let me know how it turns out.

DrWinky