UT3 Patch 1.3 Is Out!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
I just installed the patch today. I'll have to play some ut3 later tonight.

OMFG the bs whine of llamas is deafening in here... ppl are crying about map preview screens missing? OMFG give ut a funkin rest... this is really crazy. quick we need a hero to save BU - puhleeeese!

theres lots of stuff that is messed up in UT3 but to go on and on and on and on about stuff like a couple map preview screens, oh wait you guys were joking right? thats not why you dont play UT3 ...
It's something that was supposed to be fixed, and yet it wasn't. Fixing a map preview is a relative quick and easy task.

I would love for UT to become popular, period. However, I think the days are gone that those of us who began serious FPS gaming in the latter half of the 90s. The majority of gamers out there right now want things like Halo and Gears of War and World of Warcrap.
I don't see how Halo is that radically different from UT. Sure there are some differences, but I don't see a person having a difficult time transitioning between the two as they're both futuristic DM games at heart when it comes to multiplayer. I would think that a UT game done properly would appeal to a good margin of the Halo crowd.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but UT2003 was missing about 95% of the features that UT3 was missing at launch, had a much more console-like UI (but better, IMO), and had terrible gameplay.
How was the UI console like? The only thing in the 2k3 gui that made me think "console" was the layout of the main menu. Though it's strange how you mention the terribleness of 2k3's gameplay because later you say:
In regards to UT2003, I really enjoyed the game, but it was riddled with problems at release. I guess if all you care about is it saving your offline settings, then it was great... ;)
It makes me confused.
Funny that you mention saving offline settings though as IIRC the PC version of Gears of War sometimes had trouble doing that.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
The duel problem might be the server problem, they still might run old patch.

I am very glad this patch was released, but also dissapointed that sevaral problems remained or were changed to a different way, but still problematic one. So my feelings are mixed. But I don't think I complain around here, I am just reporting problems.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
Stop calling it the patch when you mean the game. Or at least tell me, what is one of the problems with the patch? (and if you say "missing features", I'll smack you...)

Hey Brizz, you sound a bit full of yourself.

Don't give me that guff coz I'll tell ya: there's nothing here for you to "smack" except your own monkey. :tdown:

I'll say whatever I want about this patch or the game in general. Why is that? Because I PAID for a copy, that's why, which gives me the right to say whatever I deem necessary about the product that I OWN.

As others have said, I can't give a free pass to the well-paid and experienced pros @ Epic that should have done a better job on such a high-profile product as UT3 - one of their premier titles. But apparently, Epic is content to make bux from the engine sales and/or console versions and/or other titles, letting PC vers UT3 hang unfinished and frankly, in quite a sad state since its launch.

I'll put it this way: given the pre-release uber-hype on UT3, the years it took to reach market, and after all that...now the half-assed game & patches that we've gotten, I doubt I'll ever buy another UT if Epic's behind it. I for one am tired of dicking with it.

Seems clear to me that Epic has changed its priorities, and I can vote with my wallet.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
rAt.8^].bAg;2171749 said:
I'll say whatever I want about this patch or the game in general. Why is that? Because I PAID for a copy, that's why, which gives me the right to say whatever I deem necessary about the product that I OWN.

/me looks at BeyondUnreal forum software license.

Nope, you don't own it. Think about that one for a while.

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
While I'm disappointed with the state of the game, I still try to play it regardless of how annoyed I might get sometimes.

I just hoped for something as polished as UT99 or UT2k4 was.

And you BU guys, keep your chins up. You are the spine of the online UT community right now, and even though I bitch about Epic a lot, I truly appreciate the work you guys do. I know it can be a thankless task at times.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Actually, it's the first UT that I've been able to appreciate the weapons and the feel.
In the previous UT, I felt more like chasing mini rabbits than other players or opponents. I guess it was the perspective, the camera focus or I don't know what...

But as many said, in terms of functionality, there is definitely a lack of something. If a majority of gamers do agree that there is a lack of something, than maybe there is a problem for real.

I don't know why people complains about the Patch.. "Dude it's a patch, not another game or an expansion". What Sir_Brizz said is totally true, people aren'T mad about the patch, they are mad about the game. UT3 has many things that should be improved or change.

Last edited:

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
/me looks at BeyondUnreal forum software license.

Nope, you don't own it. Think about that one for a while.

LOL! How obviously silly of a thing is that to say? :rolleyes:

Think about this one for awhile: if the ones (like you & me) that spent the $$ for using that licensed product aren't happy, Epic's license won't be worth much for long.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
rAt.8^].bAg;2171846 said:
LOL! How obviously silly of a thing is that to say? :rolleyes:

Think about this one for awhile: if the ones (like you & me) that spent the $$ for using that licensed product aren't happy, Epic's license won't be worth much for long.
He's saying you CAN'T say whatever you want, because you don't own the platform upon which you are voicing your opinion. In other words, if we wanted you to leave here, we could make you (and I'm not saying we do or you will).
I don't see how Halo is that radically different from UT. Sure there are some differences, but I don't see a person having a difficult time transitioning between the two as they're both futuristic DM games at heart when it comes to multiplayer. I would think that a UT game done properly would appeal to a good margin of the Halo crowd.
The gameplay in Halo is almost as far from UT as you can get. Movement is much slower, weapons fire differently and are mostly hitscan, and you die ridiculously easily (particularly with things like sticky grenades and plasma swords). Gears has a lot of the same principles in it.
How was the UI console like? The only thing in the 2k3 gui that made me think "console" was the layout of the main menu. Though it's strange how you mention the terribleness of 2k3's gameplay because later you say:

It makes me confused.
Because the UI is identical to that used for Unreal Championship, which is a console game :p

I think consolized is a poor choice of words, but the UI was very simplified over previous UIs (just install UT2003 retail and see what is missing).

As far as gameplay is concerned, I enjoyed it. But I'm jaded enough to know that it was not good. Plus, UT2004 provided quite enough proof that the UT200x series was not designed well from square one.
Funny that you mention saving offline settings though as IIRC the PC version of Gears of War sometimes had trouble doing that.
And maybe for the same reasons in a different way? Gears loses it's settings because of GFWL losing your profile (it technically doesn't lose your settings, it loses your progress). Maybe GameSpy is what drops the instant action settings :p

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
He's saying you CAN'T say whatever you want, because you don't own the platform upon which you are voicing your opinion.

I know what he's saying, but it's not on the point and kinda dumb. And I don't need you to interpret it for me.

I can express my happiness (or lack of) about any product I buy. I'm one of the paying customers that are keeping companies like Epic in biz, and they damned well ought to start realizing that. I'm not dissing UT3 just to be an ass, but my beefs are legit and if others don't agree that's OK with me. But the snarky personal rants can chill.

In other words, if we wanted you to leave here, we could make you (and I'm not saying we do or you will).

ORLY? Am I supposed to be impressed...or...scared?

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
rAt.8^].bAg;2171861 said:
I know what he's saying, but it's not on the point and kinda dumb. And I don't need you to interpret it for me.

I can express my happiness (or lack of) about any product I buy. I'm one of the paying customers that are keeping companies like Epic in biz, and they damned well ought to start realizing that. I'm not dissing UT3 just to be an ass, but my beefs are legit and if others don't agree that's OK with me. But the snarky personal rants can chill.

ORLY? Am I supposed to be impressed...or...scared?

You can express your happiness (or the lack of) about any product you buy, but you do not inherently have that right to do so here. We welcome civil discussion about both good and bad points of these products.

Keep that in mind.

Just so you know, you're coming across as very hostile towards others so far in your short time here.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
I want to clarify something.

I love that UT3 is still being patched, and the fixes in this patch are absolutely great.
I could just leave it at that you know......
I could leave it at that and agree with everyone who is saying "Take that BS to another thread, talk about how good this patch is instead" and "This is not the place to discuss what you wanted to see in the patch".
Under normal circumstances I would agree with such posts. However in this situation the usual "BS" is actually not bull**** at all. This is the first time i can honestly say that we SHOULD be whining.

Here is the deal: This patch is supposed to fix a broken game, (Or more accurately, broken aspects of a game). How is it supposed to fix a broken game if the patch is itself broken?
We are provided with a changelog that states the DLC map preview screens and player counts are finally fixed. The patch is installed......... no preview screens.
Some think that it is a minor issue and flame others who don't because "Who the hell cares? Are you mentally retarded? Are you spending all your time looking at preview pics when you should be playing the game? Be happy with what you get." Unfortunately i cannot be happy with what i have been given because it is not what epic told me i was getting. The changelog says i will get map preview screens. I did not get map preview screens.
If I order a pizza and i am served a hamburger, i think i have the right to complain.
It is for this reason that I side with the "whiners". Epic has delivered us a hamburger, even though we ordered a pizza.
For once the whiners are not retarded. For once it is the people who are saying "Be happy with what we get" that are retarded.
I address this to anyone who believes we should be happy with what we get: Would YOU be happy if you ordered a pizza and recieved a hamburger?

As a consumer I have been lied to by epic multiple times now and this time it warrants rebellion. Back in 2005 I was shown screenshots of how good the game would look. UT3's graphics are nothing like the stuff i was shown back then.
They released the beta demo in order to get much more feedback on the game and improve it before release. I saw NO improvements. Bugs remained and they are still there today.
Epic called the PC "our bread and butter" and then drops that in favour of the more communistic "Consoles are where it's at" view.
I was PROMISED a better offline experience. Instead they remove any trace of a tournament and give me a ****ty story that i don't care for. I got a worse offline experience. My settings are not remembered. I can't order bots with a microphone.
And now they throw me a lie without even bothering to cover it up: The changelog says DLC screens are there. They are NOT there.

This is abso****inglutely, bull-****ingly ****ed up the ass.
The absence of DLC screens is not a small, unimportant thing at all you dip****s!
If epic promised something in the changelog and it hasn't surfaced, then what else has epic promised which might not actually be there huh? All those netcode improvements could be a total lie!

In fact, here's some more. The changelog says "Fixed mutators disappearing between matches".
My mutators still dissappear between matches.
"Fixed CTF-Searchlight search lights."
My search lights are still broken.

What a pack of lies...............
EDIT: lol, i really degenerated towards the end of this post. Ah well, sorry if anyone is offended, but looking at it again i think that it gets my point across just fine, so i'll leave the profanities as they are.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
So basically because you are having problems that nobody else is experiencing, the patch is awful.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
You can express your happiness (or the lack of) about any product you buy, but you do not inherently have that right to do so here. We welcome civil discussion about both good and bad points of these products.

Keep that in mind.

Just so you know, you're coming across as very hostile towards others so far in your short time here.

I've posted as "civil" as anyone that's replied, but I'll give back as good as I get so make sure you have that straight.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
So basically because you are having problems that nobody else is experiencing, the patch is awful.
:lol: Not exactly......
More accurately, the patch is incomplete. I'm not talking about stuff that should have been included all along, like the demoguy fix for example. I am happy to wait for that fix, as long as it comes.
What i am talking about is a feature, promised to be in this patch, which is not in this patch.

You say no one else is experiencing my problem? Anuban is. But yeah only two people doesn't really mean much :lol: . I suppose that changes things a bit.
Don't forget that there are other errors in this patch which people are complaining about though.

Epic has tried to fix an incomplete game with an incomplete patch.
1. Epic has either lied and not included the screens
2. or It is just an error

either way, this is bad. Errors should be fixed by patches, not produced by them. This one probably hasn't been as thoroughly tested as epic would have us believe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
rAt.8^].bAg;2171971 said:
I've posted as "civil" as anyone that's replied, but I'll give back as good as I get so make sure you have that straight.

I'm telling you what I'm seeing. I don't really need a description of "how you roll".

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
I want to clarify something.

I love that UT3 is still being patched, and the fixes in this patch are absolutely great.
I could just leave it at that you know......
I could leave it at that and agree with everyone who is saying "Take that BS to another thread, talk about how good this patch is instead" and "This is not the place to discuss what you wanted to see in the patch".
Under normal circumstances I would agree with such posts. However in this situation the usual "BS" is actually not bull**** at all. This is the first time i can honestly say that we SHOULD be whining.

Here is the deal: This patch is supposed to fix a broken game, (Or more accurately, broken aspects of a game). How is it supposed to fix a broken game if the patch is itself broken?
We are provided with a changelog that states the DLC map preview screens and player counts are finally fixed. The patch is installed......... no preview screens.
Some think that it is a minor issue and flame others who don't because "Who the hell cares? Are you mentally retarded? Are you spending all your time looking at preview pics when you should be playing the game? Be happy with what you get." Unfortunately i cannot be happy with what i have been given because it is not what epic told me i was getting. The changelog says i will get map preview screens. I did not get map preview screens.
If I order a pizza and i am served a hamburger, i think i have the right to complain.
It is for this reason that I side with the "whiners". Epic has delivered us a hamburger, even though we ordered a pizza.
For once the whiners are not retarded. For once it is the people who are saying "Be happy with what we get" that are retarded.
I address this to anyone who believes we should be happy with what we get: Would YOU be happy if you ordered a pizza and recieved a hamburger?

As a consumer I have been lied to by epic multiple times now and this time it warrants rebellion. Back in 2005 I was shown screenshots of how good the game would look. UT3's graphics are nothing like the stuff i was shown back then.
They released the beta demo in order to get much more feedback on the game and improve it before release. I saw NO improvements. Bugs remained and they are still there today.
Epic called the PC "our bread and butter" and then drops that in favour of the more communistic "Consoles are where it's at" view.
I was PROMISED a better offline experience. Instead they remove any trace of a tournament and give me a ****ty story that i don't care for. I got a worse offline experience. My settings are not remembered. I can't order bots with a microphone.
And now they throw me a lie without even bothering to cover it up: The changelog says DLC screens are there. They are NOT there.

This is abso****inglutely, bull-****ingly ****ed up the ass.
The absence of DLC screens is not a small, unimportant thing at all you dip****s!
If epic promised something in the changelog and it hasn't surfaced, then what else has epic promised which might not actually be there huh? All those netcode improvements could be a total lie!

In fact, here's some more. The changelog says "Fixed mutators disappearing between matches".
My mutators still dissappear between matches.
"Fixed CTF-Searchlight search lights."
My search lights are still broken.

What a pack of lies...............
EDIT: lol, i really degenerated towards the end of this post. Ah well, sorry if anyone is offended, but looking at it again i think that it gets my point across just fine, so i'll leave the profanities as they are.

Myself, I don't apologize for a damned thing I've said (and others have said) about UT3 that is actually true.

The prob on this forum is too much ass-kissing towards Epic, when the TRUTH is the emperor has no clothes.

Too bad the fanbwois can't get past those facts.

Know what guys? Maybe if more of you had the balls to speak up about a lousy product, we might even get a better one next time. But when you accept crap and call it "good", there's no excuse.