Left 4 Dead

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Peccavi

Jan 20, 2008
2. Smoker tongue - Yeah smoker is pretty much dead useless unless you get lucky and have only one survivor left. There are too many ways for the tongue to lose its grip, not to mention the smoker doesn't start dealing damage until either the survivor gets stuck, or is within melee range. I think a 1 damage every few seconds once the tongue hooks on would be so much better, otherwise its just a pain to play.

BS. Team up with whoever plays the boomer, and perform the hang and bait. Works every time.

Smoker Hangs the player from up high, and boomer coats the poor sap in vomitus goodness.

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
BS. Team up with whoever plays the boomer, and perform the hang and bait. Works every time.

Smoker Hangs the player from up high, and boomer coats the poor sap in vomitus goodness.
Right on the smoker is necessary for a good ambush, he's the only one who can easily separate the team.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
1. Melee against special infected - I have seen on many occasions where I was melee'd as the hunter and was just forgot about.

2. Smoker tongue - Yeah smoker is pretty much dead useless unless you get lucky and have only one survivor left. There are too many ways for the tongue to lose its grip, not to mention the smoker doesn't start dealing damage until either the survivor gets stuck, or is within melee range. I think a 1 damage every few seconds once the tongue hooks on would be so much better, otherwise its just a pain to play.

3. Tank - Well nothing much to say here except its a useless monkey. 4 autoshotties and he is down in a couple seconds. Plus you have to be within kissing range to hit anybody, and even then a good deal won't hit. Screw this stupid meatsack

4. Boomer - Pretty useful but sometimes the puke can be misleading. I have been near survivors, activated the puke and nothing what so ever. Yet tonight I have seen the puke go through the house stairs in Blood Harvest finale, and puke hit me even though I was well out of range. Other than that really nothing needs fixing.

1. Same here, and to their peril usually. Hunter claw damage is pretty decent. If you're close to a few survivors in the red, just claw and you'll probably incap them before they know what hit them. Works great from behind and people melee'ing in a different direction too.

2. Catch someone as they run in front of an obstacle for real quick damage or pull them from high places so they take fall damage. As said already - team with a Boomer.

3. Good replies on this one already.

4. It can be tough to gauge bile distance. I also have a hard time with the delay between button pressing and spewage.

Another misleading part of being infected is your "nightvision" ability. It usually makes you think the survivors can see you equally as well and leads you to do stupid things that otherwise a little bit of patience would have paid off.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
As much as I bitch about the smoker, I think I was fairly effective with it last night in a few different rounds. You really have to keep in mind its strengths and weaknesses and wait for the opportune moment to strike. The key is finding a nice place from which to ambush and then waiting for the right moment.

The main reason we complain about the Infected so much is the lack of teamwork. Given, some of them are just plain useless in certain situations, but with enough planning and teamwork you can actually do a fairly good job if you wait for the right moment.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
As much as I bitch about the smoker, I think I was fairly effective with it last night in a few different rounds. You really have to keep in mind its strengths and weaknesses and wait for the opportune moment to strike. The key is finding a nice place from which to ambush and then waiting for the right moment.

Yeah. I think what makes the smoker weak is how slow he pull the players away before he start delivering the damages. Then another survivor only need one melee on his teammate to break it. But I've seen some players play effectively with it the other day. Like it is perfect to use when someone it trying to revive.

EDIT: I think the best way to use a smoker/hunter versus a decent 4-man survivor team is to wait for the 3 other players to go down a edge where the survivors can't go back. Especially with a smoker since he can hide him. That happened a few times to me, and few maps have that opportunity.

Last edited:

Zimmy

TGMZ
I think I mentioned this in the strategy thread that smokers use level design to their advantage. Using him pull survivors off the awning on No Mercy part 3 is a perfect example of this. You drag the survivor thats lagging behind of the ledge bringing some nasty fall damage and it separates them from the group by a suprising amount and in the middle of the hoard this usually can finish the person off, especially if a boomer is waiting throw up on the incapped survivor and the person who came to rescue him.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Yeah. I think what makes the smoker weak is how slow he pull the players away before he start delivering the damages.

The smoker isn't about dealing damage at all. I'd be willing to wager that the only reason he deals damage in the first place is to prevent a potential stalemate.
The times I've seen a smoker completely turn the tides he didn't deal a single point of damage, and often only grabbed the victim for less than a second.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Another misleading part of being infected is your "nightvision" ability. It usually makes you think the survivors can see you equally as well and leads you to do stupid things that otherwise a little bit of patience would have paid off.

Can't you see "normal" light on the sides of the screen?

SnaKe-Fu

Thread Killer.
Dec 26, 2000
California
www.7igaming.com
Whoo... just played L4D for the first time and it's a blast. Took me 4 times to beat No Mercy's finale because I kept getting knocked off the roof by the tanks. Can't wait to play online!

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Just got a blast on the final of bloodharvest on advanced with SleepyHead and some dude. We almost all made it to the APC when the tank got inside of it and killed everyone. Then the intro still played so you could see the tank move in the APC, but then he got out of it.

I also got a "In memory of" on the 3rd attempt. The smoker pulled me in the barn as my whole team got in the APC, great!

Last edited:

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
I had an AWESOME "Smoker moment" today. We were doing pretty decent. We had the survivors down to just Louis. He ran inside the pawn shop. We were about to lose.... and I got into the perfect position to grab him (from quite a distance) right out of that building and pulled him into the remaining horde. We win.
VERY satisfying. hehehehe

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
Red Mist achievement is finally mine! Its not hard to get, sure, but its always nice to get an achievement!

I've been working on the No Friendly Fire one but too no avail. The end stats said I had 0 friendly fire incidents but I didn't get it.

I read the previous posts documenting the problems getting it. I'm wondering what I did wrong. Does the lingering smoker smoke do damage?

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I just laugh my ass off tonight. We were probably playing the 3rd level of the Dead Airport (Campaign). A tank showed up in the parking lot, I was standing the other way when 3 of my teammates got pwned by the car thrown by the tank as they were standing on the other side of the car to avoid it.

They all went serious "I call BS" while I was laughing my ass off. I soooo wished I had this recorded and put on youtube.

EDIT: You guys like my new home-made sig?

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Heh yeah, that's pretty good Kantham. I always thought it was funny how they would go "Nooooooooo" over dead teammates, and then when you loot their dead bodies, your character will be like "OH YEA WEAPONS! PILLS! MEDKIT! AWESOME!" :p

By the way, it looks like we'll have some DLC from Valve soon. It will be free on PC, but cost MS-points or whatever on the Xbawks360. Valve said it would be pretty soon, so I guess we should expect it to be sometime between 2 months and 5 years.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
By the way, it looks like we'll have some DLC from Valve soon. It will be free on PC, but cost MS-points or whatever on the Xbawks360. Valve said it would be pretty soon, so I guess we should expect it to be sometime between 2 months and 5 years.

Thats what I told everyone on TS last night, except I worded it a minimum of 2 years

Zimmy

TGMZ
I had an AWESOME "Smoker moment" today. We were doing pretty decent. We had the survivors down to just Louis. He ran inside the pawn shop. We were about to lose.... and I got into the perfect position to grab him (from quite a distance) right out of that building and pulled him into the remaining horde. We win.
VERY satisfying. hehehehe

Was he already in the saferoom? If he was did this count as Lamb 2 Slaughter? I've always wondered if you can drag them out or if they have to voluntarily leave before you incap them.

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
Red Mist achievement is finally mine! Its not hard to get, sure, but its always nice to get an achievement!

I've been working on the No Friendly Fire one but too no avail. The end stats said I had 0 friendly fire incidents but I didn't get it.

I read the previous posts documenting the problems getting it. I'm wondering what I did wrong. Does the lingering smoker smoke do damage?

Ugh, that's got to suck.

Smoker smoke does no damage so no... I don't know if shooting a Boomer & you or a bot getting hit by the explosion/bile would count though.

Apart from that, assuming you weren't just unlucky & that the achievement failed to register even though you did it, you or one of the bots went near enough to some fire to take damage. Unless you definately didn't use/trigger anything explosive [the damage radius of the Green Oxygen & White Gas cylinders is larger than you might think]

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
Man I bought this thinking it was going to rock, and it did, but only for about a day :( It's too arcade-like, no strategy involved, blow away everything in sight.

When are they gonna make a goddamn zombie game where it's SERIOUS ****. Dead Rising sucked too, it felt like a cartoon. I want a zombie survival horror game that plays like MGS3.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Man I bought this thinking it was going to rock, and it did, but only for about a day :( It's too arcade-like, no strategy involved, blow away everything in sight.

When are they gonna make a goddamn zombie game where it's SERIOUS ****. Dead Rising sucked too, it felt like a cartoon. I want a zombie survival horror game that plays like MGS3.

No strategy? Are you sure you played the same game?