8800gt and ut2004

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

h.pocus

Jan 20, 2008
Ballistic Weapons, great stuff. It has some very detailed effects, lots of particles floating around.

i played on some servers with that mod, back when i had my 6800gt, counter locked at 85fps online. That was deathmatch though might have been different with ons.

dura1198

Feb 18, 2008
8800GTX here. I don't play much 2k4 these days but I installed it just to see if the stuttering issue existed for me - it does. For me, however, it's only offline. If I play online there is absolutely no stuttering whatsoever. Played some instagib/quadjump/turbo/lowgrav/unlimiteddodge/ctf...it was uhhh...interesting, but gameplay was very smooth.

Jordan L

Jan 20, 2008
8800GTX here. I don't play much 2k4 these days but I installed it just to see if the stuttering issue existed for me - it does. For me, however, it's only offline. If I play online there is absolutely no stuttering whatsoever. Played some instagib/quadjump/turbo/lowgrav/unlimiteddodge/ctf...it was uhhh...interesting, but gameplay was very smooth.

Even when approaching dynamic lights ?

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I tried Raven Shield since it is also an UE2 game and it seems rather stuttery even though UT2004 doesn't stutter at all. D:

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
i played on some servers with that mod, back when i had my 6800gt, counter locked at 85fps online. That was deathmatch though might have been different with ons.

It depends on circumstances sometimes, I bought the 8800 so that everything would be perfectly smooth in any event, and I was playing on some hyperdetailed Angelh@rt maps sometimes.

I tried Raven Shield since it is also an UE2 game and it seems rather stuttery even though UT2004 doesn't stutter at all. D:

Yeah, a lot of people are having trouble with Raven Shield. It seems not all 8800+XP systems stutter in ut2k4 (though MANY do), but have you tried running CTF-Citadel or DM-Trainingday? Those are two notoriously stuttery maps, we'd been using them to guage drivers and 'fixes.'

dura1198

Feb 18, 2008
Even when approaching dynamic lights ?

Hmmmm...I've got everything enabled and on high settings when I play but I can't say for certain the lights in the maps i've played are dynamic but I would think they are. Is there a particular map that is giving you fits that I can test with?

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
I've heard DM-Goose2k4 does it too.

Pretty much any map will do it, those two are a couple of the worst.

Hmmmm...I've got everything enabled and on high settings when I play but I can't say for certain the lights in the maps i've played are dynamic but I would think they are. Is there a particular map that is giving you fits that I can test with?

Like I said, try it out with CTF-Citadel and DM-Trainingday. If you've got the problem, the flag rooms in Citadel will likely be unplayable.

I can't believe it's the middle of April 2008 and they still haven't fixed this, I feel so ripped off. I understand their new 9800s have the same problem. If you guys like Windows XP, and you like playing old games, don't give nvidia your money until they decide to continue support for games other than current releases.

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006
I've heard DM-Goose2k4 does it too.
Yep. Goose does it. Happens on the outside part of it the most.
Grendel does to too, at the rox and lower link mostly. Can hickup at the shock too at times.
Waisten, at and around the lightning gun.
The night version of pipeworks][, pretty much on the whole map.
And the list could probably go on.

Last edited:

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006
Well... If a mod at the nvidia forums is to be believed there just may be hope of having this game running properly on nvidia hardware again..

The GeForce 175.XX drivers aren't going to fix this issue. The 177.XX drivers will. So we're definitely getting there. No official ETA as of yet, but I'll let you know as I learn more

Now all that's left to do is wait and see if this is true.

Ben1220

Jan 22, 2008
ut2004tips.blogspot.com
yeah I know they only said that a couple of days ago, but since this problem has been going on for 2 years I hesitate to be optimistic.

177 will probably not come out for a few months either.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Heh. Perhaps the weapon models are somehow causing this. I just tried Citadel and got no issues until I set my weapons to show. Then I hid them again and everything was smooth again.

Of course, even with weapons shown it was smooth when I was up top looking over the level. It wasn't until I was down in the flag rooms that things started skipping. D:

Ben1220

Jan 22, 2008
ut2004tips.blogspot.com
Heh. Perhaps the weapon models are somehow causing this. I just tried Citadel and got no issues until I set my weapons to show. Then I hid them again and everything was smooth again.

Of course, even with weapons shown it was smooth when I was up top looking over the level. It wasn't until I was down in the flag rooms that things started skipping. D:

hidden weapons does seem to fix it about 50% for me. Try training room with heaps of bots, like 32 or something, you will probably still get some stutter.

And yeah in some maps its not there at all, and in some its absolutly terrible. Others only have a little. But its not acceptable either way

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
Yeah, hiding weapons has been mentioned as a "fix," I think it has to do with the way lighting is dynamically applied. But as Ben says, it's not a total fix, and not an acceptable one.

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
Yeah, hiding weapons has been mentioned as a "fix," I think it has to do with the way lighting is dynamically applied. But as Ben says, it's not a total fix, and not an acceptable one.

i turned show weapons back on [eeewww] & yeah i get stuttering too.

thankfully i haven't played with weapons showing since 2k3.

turn em off [centered & hidden] & give it a week or two & you may not want to go back either.
different coloured xhairs per weapon can help :)

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006
Well. As hard as it may be to believe, the long overdue fix appears to finally be here.

I browsed over to the NV forums earlier to see if anything came up yet to fix this and found a post about the 177 drivers. Which some may recall were claimed to have the illusive fix to this. I tried them out and can confirm that they do seem to fix the stutter. The few maps i tested, which were heavily prone to stuttering like mad, are smooth as silk now.

Too bad this didn't come before the game got dead-er, though.

Ben1220

Jan 22, 2008
ut2004tips.blogspot.com
Well. As hard as it may be to believe, the long overdue fix appears to finally be here.

I browsed over to the NV forums earlier to see if anything came up yet to fix this and found a post about the 177 drivers. Which some may recall were claimed to have the illusive fix to this. I tried them out and can confirm that they do seem to fix the stutter. The few maps i tested, which were heavily prone to stuttering like mad, are smooth as silk now.

Too bad this didn't come before the game got dead-er, though.

WOW :eek:

Yeah they said they were going to fix it in the 177 drivers, but I didn't know those drivers were out yet.

After all these years... Someone needs to throw a party. :D

If the game feels dead to you recruit more people, I have recruited about 10 noobs to the demo, if all good players would do the same...

sure many would be lost to the evils of UT3 as soon as they find out a new one exists, but still, even if only 10% join the community I think its worth it.