Dedicated Package Map issues

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TonyTheSlayer

May 30, 2014
On a few servers I've run, I've noticed a reoccurring problem that I can't wrap my head around.

After a while of adding a few (maybe 15-20) different packages to the level's package map (ServerPackages) via the use of the ServerPackages lines in conjunction with manually adding them via the use of DruidsMutator (which will dynamically add serverpackages on a per gametype basis), there comes a point where this issue will occur on specific maps.

Under the right conditions, the server will sucessfully load the map and packages without any problems whatsoever, not even with any log warnings or errors, but, any client that tries to connect to the server will hang at the connecting screen on Entry. Still, the server logs a PreLogin statement for the connection, but does not log one for a disconnection. The only way that I have found to fix this is to remove certain packages from the packagemap until it just suddenly works, but even so, this still occurs on some specific maps alone.

I cannot find any known solution for this issue despite the fact that I have never even seen it reported before.

I even had Marco ( aka .:..: ) look into this issue as well, going so far as to log connection statements between his machine and the server, and found that the hang occurs after the client receives the list of packages to be downloaded, but if I remember correctly an issue arose regarding an incomplete list of packages being received.

If anyone would happen to know any sort of light on this issue it would greatly be appreciated.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Hanging at the login screen often is a sign that the local PlayerController can't be spawned on the client for various reasons.

Try enabling DevNet and DevNetTraffic logging on the client and connect to the server. I'm pretty sure there will be some kind of information in the log, then.

(As far as I can tell, this isn't actually a coding issue as you aren't writing a mod, but configuring a server.)

TonyTheSlayer

May 30, 2014
Hanging at the login screen often is a sign that the local PlayerController can't be spawned on the client for various reasons.

Try enabling DevNet and DevNetTraffic logging on the client and connect to the server. I'm pretty sure there will be some kind of information in the log, then.

(As far as I can tell, this isn't actually a coding issue as you aren't writing a mod, but configuring a server.)

I did as you said but unfortunately this is the only log line that appeared as a result of this test:
Code:
DevNet: Game client on port 0, rate 10000

The rest of the log around that line is as follows:
Code:
ScriptLog: UT2k4Browser_ServerListPageFavorites Spawned new ServerQueryClient 'Entry.ServerQueryClient'
Log: Defaulting to false
Log: Resolving ut2004master2.epicgames.com...
Log: Resolved ut2004master2.epicgames.com -> 199.255.40.171
Log: Connection established.
ModAuthor: # # # # Favorites ShowPanel()  True
ModAuthor: # # # # News ShowPanel()  False
ModAuthor: UT2K4GUIController CloseAll bCancel:False Forced:True (Currently 2 menus open)
ModAuthor:    Menu[0]:UT2k4MainMenu
ModAuthor:    Menu[1]:UT2k4ServerBrowser
ModAuthor: GUI2K4.UT2K4GUIController CloseMenu [UT2k4ServerBrowser]
Debug: UT2k4MainMenu.Opened()   Sender:None
ScriptLog: PreClientTravel
Log: URL: Adding default option Name=TonyTheArchitect
Log: URL: Adding default option Class=Engine.Pawn
Log: URL: Adding default option Character=TonyTheSlayer
Log: URL: Adding default option team=255
Log: Browse: 68.232.178.231/Index.ut2?Name=TonyTheArchitect?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=TonyTheSlayer?team=255
DevNet: Game client on port 0, rate 10000
Log: Allocating 16384 byte dynamic index buffer.
ScriptLog: PlayerController.ProgressCommand Cmd 'menu:GUI2K4.UT2K4DisconnectOptionPage'  Msg1 'Cancelled Connect Attempt'   Msg2 ''
ModAuthor: GUI2K4.UT2K4GUIController OpenMenu [GUI2K4.UT2K4DisconnectOptionPage] (Cancelled Connect Attempt) ()
NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection 68.232.178.231:7777 05/31/14 22:29:24
Exit: Socket shut down

TonyTheSlayer

May 30, 2014
I want to point out that this also happens very erratically at times but only for specific maps in other conditions. I've found that an easy way to try to avoid this is to shorten package names.