UT -> UT2KX Model Converter?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Arnox here. I was just posed a good question by Cadaver if there was any tool that would allow him to convert UT models to UT2KX. That's actually a question that I would like to know the answer to. Do any of you know of such a program or do I have to go on a mod hunt?

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
I'll send someone your way with hopefully any and all answers to this question. I consider him a pro in these matters. He'll know. :) You may expect a shout in this here topic fairly shortly. :p

Master_Unreal

Dec 1, 2010
Baddaburp

Providing you have the means of exporting the original .3d file from UT (which you probably have) You're set to go. The question is what format is being exported to? PSK/PSA? ASE? If you want ASE then your best bet would be to use 3dsmax/Maya along with Milkshape 3D, simply import the mesh into MS3D and export to whatever format you need (there's tons, im sure you'll have no trouble finding one) and export to whatever 3dsmax/Maya will eat up. From there you just export to ASE and you're set.

If it's PSK/PSA, you'll need to add a joint and assign it to the mesh, then you just export it to PSK/PSA. Unfortunately Milkshape doesn't do ASE (it does ASC buuuut i don't know about that)

http://chumbalum.swissquake.ch/files/ms3d185beta1.zip <- Milkshape 3D

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
I created a .ASE exporter for version 1.8.4 of Milkshape3D, it can be downloaded Here.

[EDIT] I should mention that my exporter supports smoothing groups for the static meshes (very easy to create hard edges now), the UCX_ type simplified collision geometry, and rudimentary vertex painting (actually just uses the bone weights of assigned and unassigned vertices).

Last edited:

Cadaver

Feb 9, 2011
Awesome!
Thanks Arnox for making the question, and thanks to the guys who made the tools!

Gonna testing it asap!

Cadaver

Feb 9, 2011
Those three models are the only ones missing for a complete OLD CHARACTER PACK!!1!

Except obviously the really old ones from Unreal like Dante, Ash, Ivan, Bane...

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
I wanted to release a version of that pack for UT2004, but ActorX Importer can't import any of the *.psk or *.psa files for the latest version without screwing them up. It worked perfectly when I was starting out, but then I got a new version that broke everything. I can't add any of UT2004's animations without importing those files, so I don't think it will be possible to convert them. :(

Except obviously the really old ones from Unreal like Dante, Ash, Ivan, Bane...

I would have been able to give the Female1/Male1 models from the Unreal 97 techdemo the animations from the PS2 characters.

Cadaver

Feb 9, 2011
I wanted to release a version of that pack for UT2004, but ActorX Importer can't import any of the *.psk or *.psa files for the latest version without screwing them up. It worked perfectly when I was starting out, but then I got a new version that broke everything. I can't add any of UT2004's animations without importing those files, so I don't think it will be possible to convert them. :(

*#@%$£.
Thanks for the (bad) info, Al :(

I would have been able to give the Female1/Male1 models from the Unreal 97 techdemo the animations from the PS2 characters.

Is it possible? You can place the good old Dante on UT2004? Sounds good...

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry, I only would have been able to convert Gina and Kurgan's models, and I would need the skeleton's of the PS2 characters to import into 3DS Max. :hmm:
Since they can't be imported, I couldn't get Gina/Kurgan either.

Cadaver

Feb 9, 2011
Ok, I'm going to use my "search ability" to find something as closest as to the models.