Can it be done?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Cactuer

Jun 17, 2000
Visit site
Hey Everyone.

I recently bought a 20 gb hard drive to go in my computer with my existing 4 gb hard drive. I was hoping to start with the 20 gig drive as a slave, copy every single file from the 4 gb to the 20 gb the to switch it around and make the 20 gb hard drive the master boot drive.

I just want to know whether this is possible or would it be a complete waste of time trying.

Any help would be great

redef

G$I Guy
Aug 4, 2001
BC, CANADA
www.planetunreal.com
probably wont work...you're better off putting it in as a slave, putting necessary files on it...switching it to master, and installing windows..easier, and you'll want a clean install anyway

Dec 31, 2000
Visit site
Ummm. Wouldn't it be better to leave the 4 as the master and install only Windows to that. Keep everything else on the 20. This gives you a clean Windows only drive and when you have to do a format/reinstall, your system can be back up in no time. All your remaining files and programs are still there waiting for you on the other drive.

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
Check the little floppy disk that came with the drive. Nearly all hard drive manufacturers include a utility disk that will partition and format the drive for you.

These utilities generally will have an option when you set them up to copy all files straight over from one drive to the other.

That's how I've upgraded system hard drives for some time.

T

Terminal {DTH}

been there, done that. its easy, drag and drop worked for me nicely. 40 gig / 4 gig respectivly.
(went into windows, copied all the files over i wanted, booted to dos, formated the wenie drive, re-install windows in the bigger, faster HD) you may need to set your bios to boot off the other HD if you cant get it to master over the other. that too is easy to accomplish generally. Ild do that AFTER having it hooked up, and in windows to copy the files over you want. then switch it over on the next boot.

*oh ****!* this was moved to OT? Damn it but i promiced not to post here. ah well, i'll just delete it after im certian it has been read i guess. hate to delete potentially helpful info*

Cactuer

Jun 17, 2000
Visit site
Hey again

Thanks for all the support. I got all the files on the drive using xxcopy and all looks peachy. Now come the problem. The 4 gb drive is set as primary slave and is hdd 1 on the boot sequence. The 20gb drive is Primary slave and is either hdd 0 or hdd 2 on boot sequence. When set to either of these the computer boots up pretty normally until the part just before windows starts loading then freezes. It's just after the part where it says "boot from atapi (?) cdrom failure

Do you know what could be causing this?