New PC components

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I'm trying to avoid Asus like a plague, so I'm planning to buy a EVGA mobo with a EVGA GPU for maximum effect (That 1366 mothoboard is in the lowest price available and is pretty damn near the 5 star rating.)

unx81.png

Opinions? Core i7 is good for gaming? (Hopefully) In before NRG calls BS on "Fermi" GPU?
I'm guessing my 650W powersuply can handle all of this too.

My average gaming needs are 1440x900 MAXED AA 4x, so I know some people might say the card isn't probably the best selection for me here, But at the same time I want to plan for future games like:

Bulletstorm
Crysis 2
Brink
Just Cause 2?
Dead Space 2?

.. and many other non-shooter game my current system can barely handle.
Don't ask the specs, the system is corrupt.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS

The more I shop around for PSU's, the more I feel I got robbed. I paid the same amount for mine, but it is 50 watts less and only has 18A to a 12v rail. It does however have 4 of these so unless it looks at the combined total, which is 72A, then I am pretty much screwed on any chances of upgrading my g-card.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Should definitely wait for the ______ to come out.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot these. LOL.
I also bet 2 months later something else even better for the same price will come out just like the inevitable cycle this computer hardware industry is, right?

EDIT: I've read about those 2600k CPU's, basically, the same i7 but a much more efficient clock speed?

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
That's pretty good, but for the price you're paying you should pick up the i7-2600k, or at least look at the i5-2500k, which is even cheaper actually. It's Intel's new Sandy Bridge architecture and it runs excellently and overclocks very easily. This means that you need to wait right now a little bit, as motherboards are all recalled because of an intel issue, but they should be back on the market very soon. This isn't waiting for the next best thing to come out, it's simply waiting for the supply channels to restock with the fix.

~Jason

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Ive got a I7 930 and a GTX 470 runs UE3 games great and ran Metro 2033 very well too. I think you should be good.

But yea better and cheaper CPUs are out.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
In before NRG calls BS on "Fermi" GPU?
This. I get anywhere from 30 to 600 fps in UT2K4 with my 470. :crysmile:
Easily. Heavy overclocking may be a stretch, but moderate overclocking is still within reach.
My average gaming needs are 1440x900 MAXED AA 4x, so I know some people might say the card isn't probably the best selection for me here, But at the same time I want to plan for future games like:

Bulletstorm
Crysis 2
Brink
Just Cause 2?
Dead Space 2?
You'll probably be happy if that's all you play at those settings.

Should definitely wait for the 2600k CPUs to come out :p Just another month or two, and they are about the same price if not cheaper :B
This too, except they're available now. The motherboards just got recalled like dragonfliet said so I'm assuming that's what frank meant too. They are way faster and barely any more. You also finally get unlocked multipliers from Intel for cheap on the K editions.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
So it will take 2 months for them to fix Intel boards with the issues basically?

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
I would definitely wait for the sandy bridge mobo chipset issue to get fixed and go that route. No reason at all to get last gen stuff now.

1440x900 MAXED AA 4x is pretty low rez, but I have no idea on what's good for graphics cards after the HD5850 came out (still a kick ass card!)

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
So it will take 2 months for them to fix Intel boards with the issues basically?
That's what the word is at the moment. Don't worry about the "keep waiting" junk either. While it's worth waiting for this, the only that's going to one up the new 1155 socket anytime soon is the "enthusiast" 2011 socket. The only real difference will be the availability of hexacores and octocores on that socket with quad channel memory. Will it be even faster? Obviously. Will it be as affordable? Hell no.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
1400x900? I think a new monitor should be on your list of priorities, especially being as dirt cheap as they are these days.

And what's wrong with Asus? Their rampage mobos are absolutely fantastic.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Because his current motherboard is ASUS P5KC and due to a process of elimination we both think that is what is causing the huge performance bottleneck he has.
I have P5KSE and I run all the games we have in common better (higher detail and/or higher framerate) than him always, on the same GPU and CPU. Even with a better GPU for him, I got better performance/higher graphic fidelity. Also my resolution to run games is always higher as well: 1680x1050.

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
1440x900 MAXED
I'm going to agree with Twisted Metal.
you should definitely upgrade your monitor as part of this process.

14x9 is for little girls.
real men don't settle for anything less than 1900x1080.

just look around.
I bet you can get a nice 22-24 inch (or more) LCD for around 160 bucks. at the very least you should be running 1680x1050. 14x9 is what most laptops run now, and you're missing out on some beautiful graphic space.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I'll stick to 1440x900 like a little girl.
but why?

there's no reason to play games like that when your system is capable of so much more. LCD monitors are getting pretty cheap. if you're going to upgrade your computer with stuff like a Core i7, why would you settle for such a small resolution?

a powerful machine with a tiny monitor?
that's just dumb.