Computer Problems/Upgrades/Info

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread that we could post computer problems, information, and time required for fixes, etc...

Let me start this one by saying that I will be upgrading my current comp, and rebuilding my old one today.

I'm not sure exactly how long this will take, but I assume that it will last at least 4 hours (or more).

This also means that I will have to reinstall UT, maps, skins, etc...

However, I am currently making backups of that data, so no fear of losing it. :D

I'll be back as soon as possible.

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
Errr...
After spending the last 3 hours waiting for a DVD to burn, I've decided to put off working on my own comp until my vacation... 9 days of workless bliss... at the begining of next month.

However, I do have the other computer to work on, off and on tonight, which means that I will have to pull the extra HDD out of this comp and put it in my old one... which means that I'll STILL have to reinstall UT2...

...sigh...

it's gonna be one of those nights...

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
Oki... I keep getting this error when I try to run the updated UEd:

The procedure entry point ?qRandSeed@@3KA could not be located in the dynamic link library Core.dll.

I know we mentioned this in a thread before... but I do not recall the solution.

Help me out! Woo!

UPDATE:

I had to reinstall, and now all is well... I think...

Last edited:

TAZTG

Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference
Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Upgrading can be such Joy.. Yea right..
Sounds like you have the wrong version of the Core.dll file. Is there a new and mproved one out there?? BC or AX would be the man to ask that question...

Iceburgs

The Iceman Cometh....
Jul 22, 2002
Baltimore County, MD
The only problem I am currently having is this: occasionally, when I log off a user, my computer flat-out hangs. I can't figure out why. It isn't accessing the HD. It isn't doing anything ... it's just waiting. This drives me insane. So far, the only thing I can think of is that it is from the printer software I installed when I (finally) got a printer (Lexmark). Anyone else have trouble like this?

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
Iceburgs said:
The only problem I am currently having is this: occasionally, when I log off a user, my computer flat-out hangs. I can't figure out why. It isn't accessing the HD. It isn't doing anything ... it's just waiting. This drives me insane. So far, the only thing I can think of is that it is from the printer software I installed when I (finally) got a printer (Lexmark). Anyone else have trouble like this?

Windows has problems like this fairly often... my suggestion to you is to create a new admin account or recreate the account that is having the trouble.
I don't know why exactly, but this seems to solve the problem in most cases.

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Iceburgs said:

Here's what you can do ICE. Go to User Accounts in the Control Panel.
Delete all accounts except yours. Then don't log off just shut down. If you need to have more then one User Account try to create a new one for them after you have setup the printer. Its worth a try..

Iceburgs

The Iceman Cometh....
Jul 22, 2002
Baltimore County, MD
Buggy windows. What a pain in the arse. You know, something weird happened late last night. I deleted 2.5 gigs from my recycle bin, and in my computer, it showed I had 2.5 more gig available on my hard drive. Now here's where it gets weird. After adding a shortcut to my desktop and moving some around, one of my icons moved to an empty space that I don't remember emptying. Anyway, I put it back, then went back to double-click on my computer. Lo and behold, I had 5 more gigs of free space. How the hell this happened, I don't know. I like having the space, though. So far I can't find anything missing that should be there, so beats the hell outta me what was wrong. I haven't tried sleeping my computer yet, but I wonder if whatever was causing windows to misreport my HD size was also causing the hanging. We'll see. Laterz!

Shattered_Steel

Birthed of Destruction
Mar 9, 2002
Kettering, OH
Ice obviously doesn't realize how Windows likes to "hold on" to things, even if you don't want them. Windows likes to make its own little copies of everything, especially if you delete them. So just letting stuff sit in your recycle bin doesn't actually delete anything, as well as the fact that sometimes even after emptying the recycle bin, Windows sometimes doesn't bother actually deleting the links to the files until some odd time afterwards (for most of us that occasionally shut down our computers, that's the time).

So, Ice, if this happened right after you emptied your recycle bin, don't be surprised, and also, it has nothing to do with your hang ups. I also have a Lexmark printer, and I have also noticed those "hangs" when logging off a user, but only after I used the printer. Since the printer came with software that automatically turns on the printer whenever you send something to the spooler, it also obviously has something running in memory waiting to see that happen. Afterwards, it probably has some sort of bad code that doesn't allow it to shut down normally, which means when you log off a user, Windows can't figure out a way to turn it off, and your comp hangs. I forget whether this works or not, Ice, but try simply turning off your printer before logging off Windows.

PS - Lurk is right about this, though, Windows has these "hang ups" often. Example - I can never shut down Windows with my ICQ software open. I always have to turn off the software first if I don't want the comp to hang while shutting down.

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Here's a new one for ya. WAB Notification was stopping my system from shutting down. I kept getting the END Program now box when I was shutting down. I did the research and found out what App. was causing this. Outlook was the problem. I did my Office Upgrade and still had the problem and then I did a little testing. When I clicked the X to close Outlook it would still be running in the Processe's (Alt.-Ctrl-Del). When I CLicked File-Exit it wouldn't be running and Windows would shut down fine. ANother shining example of an XP Quirk.. LOL

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
Dev:

http://www.lockergnome.com/issues/daily/20030901.html​

Dev and anyone who is interested in where I get my "spiffy" programs, tweaks and such for Windows... this link will take you to the main site, and I would suggest you sign up for the Lockergnome Windows Daily newsletter.

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
New worm disguised as email from MS

Hey guys, you need to watch out for an email from MS offering a new patch as an attachment;

Virus Spreading Easily

http://news.com.com/2100-7349_3-5078696.html

A new virus going by the name Swen and Gibe.F is making its way through email clients at a brisk pace that highlights the depth of security issues in Windows. Not to belabor the point, but this is such a perfect example, I couldn't let it slip by without at least a little attention. New security flaws are not where the big damage occurs. It's the old ones that have had patches available for a significant period of time that often bite hardest. Swen and Gibe.F illustrates just how serious the lack of applied patches on the part of end users truly is. A two year old IE flaw is the target of this latest bug, and it's spreading at a pace that rivals most other email worms. Contributing to the spread is the fact that the worm appears to come from Microsoft sporting a security patch, prompting unaware users to launch the virus-laden payload. Issuing effective patches quickly means very little. The number of flaws must subside significantly in order for any real impact to be seen down the road.

Bonecrusher

Make choices, don't look back...
Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
Lately everyone has been finding out that I have been having problems with my internet connection when playing UT...which is one of the reasons I did not participate in the scrim.

Here is something...not sure if I would consider it to be good news...but there is still hope that things will clear up for me. Here's what I got out of Comcast...

--------------------

Dear Mr. Reifsneider,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Comcast High-Speed Internet. We
understand this browsing issue can be frustrating. We apologize for any
inconvenience this may cause you and we will do our best to assist you
with this issue.

At this point there are still reported power outages in certain areas of
PA affecting servers which would cause this connection and browsing
issue. Comcast is working to restoring the service. We do apoligize
for the inconvenience and appreciate your paitentience.

Due to our Systems being upgraded I am not able to provide you with a
ticket at this time.

If there is anything else that we can help you with regarding this or
any other issue, you can reach our technical support via email. If you
go to www.comcast.net and click on 'Service Center' on the left-hand
side of the screen. Now click on 'Help' on the left and now you will see
our 'Live Chat Support'.

Thank you for choosing Comcast.

Sincerely

Kimberley R.

Comcast Customer Care

--------------------

Heh.

Devastator

What are YOU looking at?
Apr 8, 2003
North
bua.beyondunreal.com
As some of you may know, I'm planning on buying/building myself a new comp. This is now a fact since yesterday, Dyson was on the family puter from 5 to almost midnight. Now I ask you, What's a fragger suppose to do from 5 to midnight without a computer?. The answer is (drumrool).....NOTHING. I did absolutly nothing. Damn I was bored. So here is what I came up with so far.

Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz Processor
Intel 875P chipset P4C800/P4C800-E Asus Motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra Video Card
Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer sound card (Already purchased)
1024 Mb PC3200 RAM
Western Digital 120 Gig Hard Drive

As for the case and power supply I could leave that up to TAZ since he's the DA MAN when it comes to that (and everything else).

If you find something wrong with what I want so far please lest me know. I will need the help I can get to build my fragbox.

THX

-DEV