XMP is coming to UT2004! - Free Monkey Interactive Announces UT XMP

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lise

Being a girl makes you kick more arse.
Mar 16, 2004
A game is dead when it is gaining no or very few (I'd say less than 50 per month) new players, and the majority of former players have left it. By the technical definition, XMP is a "dead" game. People still play it, but it has lost all official support. Free Monkey Interactive is going to fix that.

My gh0d, I think this is the only time I've ever seen people resist giving a game a second lease on life.

[GDC]Faust

Goblin Hunter
Apr 29, 2004
www.gamersdungeon.de
Lise said:
My gh0d, I think this is the only time I've ever seen people resist giving a game a second lease on life.

I do not resist against a second chance. I'm just worried that those guys produce something that isn't actually XMP but by beeing labeled XMP it sucks all what's left out of the existing community.

I really hope they make a good conversion.

Lise

Being a girl makes you kick more arse.
Mar 16, 2004
From what I understand, they just got access to all the old art and whatnot, so now a direct conversion is possible.

Praise be unto Free Monkies. *gives sign of cross*

[GDC]Faust

Goblin Hunter
Apr 29, 2004
www.gamersdungeon.de
The question is not, is a direct conversion possible (Which I don't think, because there ARE differences in the engines such as Particlesalamanders and whatnot)

It's about how much are the ppl from Free Monkey willing to hold back their egos in this project so that they don't ruin the Mod. They already said they bring in custommeshes and playermodels. Actually I like the playermodels of XMP very well and many ppl identify with them (Well, uh... U know what I mean *failing in englishness*).

So I hope they do not add too much custom stuff which changes the original gameplay essentially. (Such as implementing UT2K4-Vehicles would)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think they are trying to add in content that Legend wasn't able to due to time/team size restraints.

Mantik

Master Beta
Apr 2, 2004
Philthy
[GDC]Faust said:
I do not resist against a second chance. I'm just worried that those guys produce something that isn't actually XMP but by beeing labeled XMP it sucks all what's left out of the existing community.

Sorry Brizz, this is my only concern.. I just voiced it wrong.. I DON'T THINK IT'S A BAD idea. It just could have the opposite effect than what is expected, and if people are expecting it to be something it doesn't turn out to be. They will say "screw this" and bye bye XMP gameplay. I'm not a fan of XMP as a GAME perse, I play it for the WAY it plays. The balance, the teamwork, the communication.. everything. If they can accomplish that with this mod, I will play it of course. I do hope they succeed, and if they do I will go play their conversion and say adieu to U2XMP. Giving it a 21 gun salute and a burial at sea (a large fountain in central park) whereupon me and my fellow players I know in real life will fold the pages from the game manual American flag-like, and mount the CD in the "shrine" alongside of Doom, Duke, Quake, and Half-Life.

So don't think I'm trying to knock this conversion in my words, I am all for it. What I am against is saying that the game is dead, because obviously - if you are converting it over to 2K4 - doesn't that mean it's still alive? If it were dead, why bother converting it? o_O

Kind of contradictory to me is all.

Anyways, UTXMP = :cheers:

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
Emmet Otter said:
Also, I just hope they dont build the game around the UT2004 fans cause they are speaking of all sorts of vehicles and weapons and such modified. The reason why I say this cause a majority of the fans that want this are the ut2k4 morons that had knocked XMP in the past.

I just hope they dont cater this to them.

The guys in FMI were all some of the original and most active beta testers. I know all these guys love XMP and are only doing this to try to keep this game alive.

Silver Sequence

XMP Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2004
People are trying to help XMP/save XMP. Give them credit. I know I'm thrilled about this. There are a lot of clans out there that will be able to migrate. I'm glad to know that Omni will continue, I'm glad to know that pet can start gutblowing on more servers. If there are minor changes, sure we'll bitch and complain, but I have to say that I feel freemonkey is good people. This is the best news I've heard in a long time. I look forward to fighting all of you, in u2xmp today and in 2k4xmp in the future if that's what it brings. Be well. =vÐ=Drunken

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Like others have said, I think that the point of this mod is to prevent XMP from dying, seeing that it is unsupported and all. I for one would pay for this mod were it done right :p

Dead_Metal

I'm something - But I don't know what.
Feb 13, 2004
Community eXpansion Pack directed at the expansion of XMP.....

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Wee Doggies!!!
UTXMP has my full support. I have been a purponant that XMP could only survive as a complete Total Conversion. This news makes me happy and if there is anything I can do to for Free Monkey they just need to ask.

Softice/MASM reverse engineer
Dec 29, 2003
The Netherlands
www.6000068.tk
Cant say anything but good things about the free monkey team. STFU whiners and lets support the guys a bit (if u have any skills).

XMP gameplay + 2k4 engine = heavenly gaming

U gotto love deployables (turrets/mines/explotion packs), flags, arties, balls, bases, energy sources, vehicles (planes/hovers/cars/trucks/tanks), special movements (dodges/jumps), teleports, characters (medic/engineer/sniper/gunner/tech), futuristic weapons and creative maps.

Last edited:

Ausman785

[DT|Ausman] clan guy w/ probs.
Apr 17, 2004
there is an overwhelming feeling that "Free Monkey" will make XMP something different than it is now. Their idea looks great at first, especially as a way to "save" the game, but is it really that good? I mean, the things I like alot about XMP are not only the game play and style, but the community. If some BS version of XMP is moved to 2k4, then you're adding in a plethora of people and essentially destroying that community. I just believe it's a bad idea all around considering that they've already indirectly stated that XMP will not be the same as a 2k4 mod, and now you're going to expose a perfectly fine game to the cheating elements even more as all those frustrated 9 year olds spend the first week of their XMP careers getting owned, then demand their cheats. big thumbs down on free monkey.

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
I don't believe something like this until I see it and get to evaluate it. I'm not excited, and I'm especially not thrilled over how this is being handled. Time will tell however and, despite my objections, good luck on your XMP TC, Free Monkey.

But here's something I want to know. When someone installs this TC, what is it going to do to their copy of UT2004? Personally, I've never installed a TC before and am clueless as to how this type of thing will work. I've installed mods however. Will this TC overwrite UT2004, be a separate exe, or something else?

-Myr

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
If you ever played NeoCairo or Operation Na'Pali it will be very similar. The game won't open from within UT2004 as a gametype, it will open with it's own GUI from a seperate batch file. It will however co-exsist in the UT2004 directory, probably adding several sub directories for it's own content. The idea is to create new code and resources and use only the engine to drive the game. Some, sub-classing may be done for actors, but with XMP I would expect new actor classes for the most part, including pawns.

Mar 6, 2004
I hope it doesn't run like 2k4..i bought 2k4 and only played it once, it's sweet but i don't like the look of the MP(multiplayer), also they should add the training like 2k4 has and have ladder matches vs the comp and you can buy your own guys n stuff(also have very skilled comp guys you can buy but cost MEGA dough), that'd be coo.

Status
Not open for further replies.