Any new features in non-game UE2 Runtime??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

mrcamper99

Sep 24, 2003
Just wondering what the differences may be in the "new" UE2 runtime engine aimed at "Non-Game" applications, which is posted at:

http://udn.epicgames.com/pub/Powere...Engine2Runtime/

The obvious differences are some interesting toys; moving trees, pretty waterfall, distance cueing on the fog, a simplified menu UI, etc.... anything else?? (some of the effects, distance cue'd fog, pretty waterfall, may be in the UT2kx, its just that I have not been able to determine the settings to obtain them)

Any new Engine enhancements or other goodies I've missed? ...a preview of the UT2004 engine ???

Vito

Mar 18, 2002
The Runtime is the same second-generation Unreal engine that drives all the latest games. Anything you can do in UT2003 you can do in the Runtime, and vice versa. Off the top of my head, the only significant improvement is vehicle support; it contains an early version of UT2004's vehicle code, so any vehicles should work a little more reliably than UT2003's.

Note that there are no built-in vehicles in the Runtime.

oneirotekt

Aug 24, 2003
Vito said:
Anything you can do in UT2003 you can do in the Runtime, and vice versa.

Actually, I've noticed some non-game UT2003-unique stuff that isn't in the runtime... DE's XEmitters (which do plenty of tasty things you can't do with normal Emitters) are the biggest I've found so far. Also, the ability to export from UED to Wavefront OBJ format (also DE's addition I believe) isn't in the runtime version of the editor, which makes things a bit more tricky for people using Maya for art content.

Hi, I'm a beggar, and I'm being extremely choosy! :D

inio

many fauceted scarlet emerald
Feb 8, 2002
CA, USA
www.inio.org
oneirotekt said:
Actually, I've noticed some non-game UT2003-unique stuff that isn't in the runtime... DE's XEmitters (which do plenty of tasty things you can't do with normal Emitters) are the biggest I've found so far. Also, the ability to export from UED to Wavefront OBJ format (also DE's addition I believe) isn't in the runtime version of the editor, which makes things a bit more tricky for people using Maya for art content.

I think there was a post in the General forum where Vito said DE added both of those specifically to the UT2003 engine. I don't think licensees get them either.

As someone pointed out over the the Atari Forums thread on this subject, there is one thing new in the UE2R UnrealEd: the Geometry Editing button:

button_geometry_editing.jpg

TseTse

Pong Paddle Jockey
May 8, 2002
New York
Visit site
yea, that button is in Unreal2 XMP UED so i didnt notice.

one thing i miss is the buttons on the bottom, particularly the one which locates you on selected object :(

would be cool to think up a list of new buttons we would like, and see if we cant get some collaboration to make them :D

i vote for a proper FREEZE OBJECT button (i.e. it cant be moved, rotated, transformed accidently).

Last edited:

mrcamper99

Sep 24, 2003
ChainsawMonkey said:
Center On Actor is the first button I noticed was missing too :( Very handy button, especially if you're working on a large map.

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeee!

You're right it's missing!! Gone!!! That's gonna be a major pain with the size of maps we are working on!!! If not down right impossible!

mrcamper99

Sep 24, 2003
BTW, any of you guys signed up for Unreal University? ...and if so, gotten a confirmation back?

oneirotekt

Aug 24, 2003
ChainsawMonkey said:
Center On Actor is the first button I noticed was missing too :( Very handy button, especially if you're working on a large map.

That functionality is a basic part of the editor, the only thing UT2003's UED added was a button that did it. You can bind it to a key in UED by typing this at the console:

set input X camera align

where X is the key you wanna bind to it.

LeCroix

Oct 26, 2003
Visit site
Vito said:
The Runtime is the same second-generation Unreal engine that drives all the latest games. Anything you can do in UT2003 you can do in the Runtime, and vice versa. Off the top of my head, the only significant improvement is vehicle support; it contains an early version of UT2004's vehicle code, so any vehicles should work a little more reliably than UT2003's.

Note that there are no built-in vehicles in the Runtime.

do you know what the improvements are ? because KVehicle is almost the same as in UT2003, and the Vehicles package (and KCar in particular) isn't there!

thanks in advance! :2thumb:

(sorry for the english, i'm from Argentina)

Vito

Mar 18, 2002
KVehicle is deprecated in favor of SVehicle, the new vehicle system used in UT2004. Vehicles are skeletal meshes with programmatically controlled bone animation to facilitate turning wheels and rotors and such.

We'll be putting together some sample vehicles and releasing them with the Vehicles package "soon."