Do you think the projectiles should fly faster?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Inferny

Apr 4, 2005
StraTooS said:
the main problem wasn't with the partile speeds. but rather with the "bouncyness" of the characters, they could dodge around so easily, aparently you won't be able to in the next UT.

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
I think there should be more projectiles that take in account which direction you are moving at the time they are fired. This way there will be a logical reason to play aggressively. So if you dodge forward while firing, the projectile will take on the momentum of the weapon operator. As it is right now, other than link primary there is not a reason in the world for someone to charge someone else with projectile weapon other than link out in the open, because the plasma gap condenses, unless they don't have a weapon or are trying to set up a combo or something. This is why I like ws off, becuase there are actual situations where you don't have to act defensive to win when the other person is at same skill level.

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
You can fire a non-charged ASS rifle grenade while dodging forward. It goes almost as far as a fully charged one. :)

And no to the original thread question. Learning the projectiles speeds are part of the learning curve of 2k4 and I wouldn't have it any other way. :D

Plus i don't know bout' you guys but when I run up against a good rox player I can't dodge them for poop they come at me so fast haha. ;)

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Yes, of course. Hey, all weapons should be hit-scan.

The second you lob a grenade, it shoot travel towards the target at 1million miles/h and injure/kill it.

Flak shells, same thing.

But hey, the game speed should be a standard 300%. To maintain some balance.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Should projectiles in UT2004 fly faster? Maybe. In UT3? Highly doubt it. UT2004's whole dynamic is based on the dodge-jump, which is going to be removed for UT3. It made the maps huge (look at Goliath, FFS), which consequently made hitscan overpowering and projectiles underpowered because you're quite often not very close to your opponent. Perhaps having some acceleration on the rockets in UT2004 would alleviate some of this problem. Or maybe adding your current momentum to the rockets' would fix the problem, because like bri said, there's really no reason to play aggressively in this game. It's all about power-up control and hanging back and wailing on people with hitscan unless you're around the power-ups, in which case projectiles can actually help. I play aggressively all the time, and I get owned because of it. At a distance I get hit with shock beams left and right, then when I try to move in, I get comboed. Nowhere in the transaction are projectiles involved in my death most of the time. People say that hitscan doesn't rule this game, and I don't believe that for a second. If you suck at hitscan, you're bound to not be a competitive player. I suck at hitscan, so I play the role of the crazy guy who dodges like a monkey on speed and flings projectiles everywhere, and on servers where skilled players troll, I get completely owned every time.

Anyway, I don't see projectile speed being an issue in UT3 because it's supposed to be more close-quarters.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
well you can fling the spidermines with your own momentum and thats when it gets spammy... but like , with slower projectile speeds and slower movement speeds , not only does the game cater better for people with lousy computers , but i think it can make the game feel 'bigger' in a way, like you think wooaahh hes so far away yet i predicted his moves and hit him with the stinger... there will still be a place for the blinding speed of hitscan, but if the game can be made to be closer-quarters and you can see more stuff flying around you, then it will be cool...

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
if the map to player scale is the same they should make projectiles much faster but i think that would suck and its likely they are adressing player movement, and map scale at epic already.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
if you look at it from a strictly default player speed point of view, then it controls the 'map scale' ... the speed at which you travel through your own bodywidth might be arbitiary, but the feeling of size in a map is directly related to it... you can have pointlessly large maps, or cramp undersized maps, and then you can also have perfectly sized maps like the adjustment of scale of deck17 compared to deck16 (in ut99) , and player size relative to a level like this is then judged by all of us... right now, i think the playersize is abit too small compared to that level...

Kriegs-Maschine

May 9, 2005
Turns2Ashes said:
Should projectiles in UT2004 fly faster? Maybe. In UT3? Highly doubt it. UT2004's whole dynamic is based on the dodge-jump, which is going to be removed for UT3. It made the maps huge (look at Goliath, FFS), which consequently made hitscan overpowering and projectiles underpowered because you're quite often not very close to your opponent. Perhaps having some acceleration on the rockets in UT2004 would alleviate some of this problem. Or maybe adding your current momentum to the rockets' would fix the problem, because like bri said, there's really no reason to play aggressively in this game. It's all about power-up control and hanging back and wailing on people with hitscan unless you're around the power-ups, in which case projectiles can actually help. I play aggressively all the time, and I get owned because of it. At a distance I get hit with shock beams left and right, then when I try to move in, I get comboed. Nowhere in the transaction are projectiles involved in my death most of the time. People say that hitscan doesn't rule this game, and I don't believe that for a second. If you suck at hitscan, you're bound to not be a competitive player. I suck at hitscan, so I play the role of the crazy guy who dodges like a monkey on speed and flings projectiles everywhere, and on servers where skilled players troll, I get completely owned every time.

Anyway, I don't see projectile speed being an issue in UT3 because it's supposed to be more close-quarters.

I really agree, I'm a very agressive player and I own with Flak and Rocket and because the hitscans, mostly shock, are overpowered, it make guys like me and Turn2Ashesh, worthless in big maps, unless we can play lame with hitscan too. I almost just get killed by shock combo whores, so to be even better, I had to get use to this lame gun so I would own at close and not get too much owned at far.

Next UT gonna own so much, just when they said (there will be a lot more close-fights) I was like :D Cause its true as they said, that most fights in UT2004 are Medium-Range...

Last edited: