Call of Chtulhu...WOW!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
May 22, 2000
Amsterdamned
resolute.gamepoint.net
Ingame:

coc2.jpg

coc1.jpg

coc3.jpg

coc4.jpg

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
Pick up The Road to Madness. It has a nice collection of his stories like Herbert West - Reanimator and Dagon.

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
He's actually quite the horror pioneer (moreso than Bram Stoker). Most of his stuff came out in the 20's, but he was writing for some time before then.

You'll find most of his stories are atmosphere driven and less surprise or gore driven (although not always the case). Some of his descriptions are spot on though. Stuff like:
Then suddenly I saw it. With only a slight churning to mark its rise to the surface, the thing slid into view above the dark waters. Vast, Polyphemus-like, and loathsome, it darted like a stupendous monster of nightmares to the monolith, about which it flung its gigantic scaly arms, the while it bowed its hideous head and gave vent to certain measured sounds. I think I went mad then.

He gets some really good imagery in his stuff.

Try this site. I think they have a whole lot of his stuff as public domain for you to check out. Saves you a trip to the library/bookstore.

Mad_Dog

Voice Of Reason
Mar 27, 2001
Soviet Canuckistan
www.planetunreal.com
just reading the biography on that site...
He nurtured the careers of many young writers (August Derleth, Donald Wandrei, Robert Bloch, Fritz Leiber);

fritz leiber kicks ass!!! some of the craziest, wierdest SF you've ever read... i only have a few short stories i think, but read anything of his you can.

EDIT: wow... i love this lovecraft site. all these stories i've read about but never been able to find turn out to be by him, andnow i can read them... mainly "The Colour Out of Space".

Last edited:

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
*makes note to get that game*

:D

:con:

*makes note to READ THE BLOODY STORY FIRST*

ps Herbert West is my hero

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
// Call of Chtulluh :
Nice graphics, but what about the all important gameplay ?

I smell something fishy ;)

I know when this game is going to be released :

"when the stars are right !" :p

// Lovecraft :
Didn't he commit suicide ?
His stories aren't mere 'horror', but madness & insanity.
He thinks we should be glad that we do not understand how stuff works (ignorance really is bliss in his stories!)

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
MadDog, I have all the books from him. To read things like Dagon could be too much weird for a start (it is mainly a description of one of his mad dream).
The Color out of Space is good but not really representative of his work. If I was you, I would start with the Call of Ktulu. You'll have a good basic idea of the rest of his stories.

There are mainly novels in his books except for some. Beyond the Wall of Sleep is one of the full stories that impressed me much, quite nightmarish but you'll have to know a bit the universe of Lovecraft before reading it or you won't profit the story.

August Derleth was is closiest friend and his books are the most fidels to the Lovecraft's universe.

You also have some movies who pathetically tried to copy the universe of Lovecraft. Forgot Re-Animator or From Beyond (both from Stuart Gordon IIRC), they are too far away from the story.

In the Mouth of Madness is maybe the movie who get close from Lovecraft's spirit as well as one or 2 old movies of the 50's or 60's.
148916.jpg

Starring Sam Neil.

@Monk: thanks for the link, added to favorite. :)

@Jafo: IIRC, he died from illness. Must be in the site.

If the critic is good, this game could be one of the few I might consider buying.

Edit: added cover of movie.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Illness ? :hmm: then it's probably another author (Robert E Howard ?) that ended his life that way ...
(yes writing is bad for your health ;) )

Mouth of Madness is a pretty 'creepy' movie. It's pretty close to the 'lovecraft'-themes ...