Outlast

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Not yet but I probably will tonight or tomorrow night. I have high hopes and will return with first impressions.

Edit:

Alright, I put about two hours into the game. It's nothing amazing but it's not bad either.
-It's UE3 so the graphics are good (for indie) and it runs more than fine on my GTX 470. Of course, you need to change your min and maxed smoothed framerate in the BaseEngine.ini if you want more than 60fps for high refresh rate displays.
-Clearly a PC title in someways. Defaults to 90 FOV :eek:
-It's primarily jump scares. There is plenty of good atmosphere but it's still mostly jump scares. A good psychological thriller doesn't need many--if any--jump scares.
-Like the Amnesia games, there's no weapons and you're never fighting. (unless you count struggling to free yourself) Just running and hiding.
-Unlike Amnesia games, not all NPC's are hostile. It's probably necessary to expand on insanity and eeriness of your enemies, but it also kills any blanks your brain has to fill in.
-The in-game gamma setting wont save you from the dark, it just makes lights brighter. Unless you cheat with driver/monitor brightness, get ready to not see shit and to be fumbling around in the dark.
-The infrared camera is kinda silly. The range the infrared light reach increases with your zoom. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense but I imagine it's like that to make you zoom in on dark places, just to have whatever fill your screen suddenly and scare the shit out of you.
-Sound seems nice. Subtle noise like your feet scraping the floor. At one point I was standing at the corner of a hallway. To my right was a window that I was looking at a foe and to my left was the opening to the room he was in. I could clearly hear him from the doorway instead of just through the wall with the typical distance based volume I'm used to.
-Story seems pretty generic so far. An asylum isn't exactly the most inspired location for a horror game either. Hopefully it'll get a little bit more rich or unexpected towards the end of the game.

So yeah, if you like your scary games as much as I do, it delivers overall. For everyone else, probably wait for a steam sale if you're only moderately interested.

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Also, while we're talking about indie survival horror, I am absolutely pumped for this game:

[M]http://youtu.be/iAcAd1fUiy8[/M]

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Excellent break down there Nerg. I might wait for a steam sale on it then. Amnesia on the other hand... whoa doggies that shit better not disappoint me. Chineseroom did well on the Dear Esther atmosphere so there is a hope.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Thank you for reminding me of Routine. Looks really cool.
Yeah, I thought there was a thread to bump but I couldn't find it.

Excellent break down there Nerg. I might wait for a steam sale on it then. Amnesia on the other hand... whoa doggies that shit better not disappoint me. Chineseroom did well on the Dear Esther atmosphere so there is a hope.
Yeah it'll be interesting. The first Amnesia was entirely from Frictional Games, the small team that did the Penumbra series. Now it's kinda backwards with The Chineseroom developing the new title and Frictional publishing it.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
I don't know what, from that trailer, makes Routine look incredible.
It might be good it might not.

Outlast though, it's got some good press.
I'll be buying it soon... let you know how my trousers turn out.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't know what, from that trailer, makes Routine look incredible.
It might be good it might not.

Outlast though, it's got some good press.
I'll be buying it soon... let you know how my trousers turn out.
Watch some other trailers.