Unreal Engine 3 Features @ GDC 2009

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
All this seems cool but the browser stuff strikes me as pure fluff. I was hoping to see them actually address some of the things about the editor that keeps alot of modders at bay. The lighting updates could be actually useful.

Hedge-o-Matic

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
Lightmass: Yet another way 3D developers are laboring to make sure that you can't see a dang THING....

Seriously - anyone who misses Darkmatching from Unreal1 - why? All you have to do is play UT3, where you can't see anything at all, even in the outdoor daylight levels....

Are you sure you've got your monitor turned on?

I have to say, this looks just awesome. I'm starting to feel like Epic is getting back into the UT vibe, and regaining their mojo.

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
I really like the improvements of the content browser.
- I guess there will be right click menus aside from the drag-and-drop thing
- The tag and the collection are really useful
- I guess when you drop a material to a mesh, it will check which material index of that mesh is at that point of your cursor
- I really like the GI solution, yes, it's kinda late but always welcome to most users
- The MCP is really cool

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
Lightmass: Yet another way 3D developers are laboring to make sure that you can't see a dang THING....

Are you sure you know what you are talking about? If yes, then please explain how ambient light/global illumination makes things worse to see. In fact things are easier to see, because the lightrays do not "stop" at a wall but are reflected which makes the whole level lit better and also brighter with the same amount of lightsources.

Last edited:

neoduck

Oct 18, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Not long til I'm working your mum ;)

old news ;)

PS.

[GU]elmur_fud;2272564 said:
All this seems cool but the browser stuff strikes me as pure fluff. I was hoping to see them actually address some of the things about the editor that keeps alot of modders at bay.

...such as?

FYI. for someone working full time with the editor- the browser updates seem quite significant.

Last edited:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Finally,
I never really understood the point of not having a Content Browser in 2006 with the Unreal Ed.

Can't wait to finally get a real next gen UE 3 Ed...

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
I really like the improvements of the content browser.
- I guess there will be right click menus aside from the drag-and-drop thing
- The tag and the collection are really useful
- I guess when you drop a material to a mesh, it will check which material index of that mesh is at that point of your cursor
- I really like the GI solution, yes, it's kinda late but always welcome to most users
- The MCP is really cool
Actually, it's the best tool we could ever have, every Dev should have that at LEAST to properly playtest their levels.

It definately shows the gameflow and where there is useless geometry = waste of time and money! :lol:

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Actually, it's the best tool we could ever have, every Dev should have that at LEAST to properly playtest their levels.

It definately shows the gameflow and where there is useless geometry = waste of time and money! :lol:

It's useful for MP, but I don't see the big advantage of having it in SP. That sort of stuff gets scripted, and designers should be looking at the way things play out instead of getting a normalized image through simulation.