I Can't Compile...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

cameleopard

Feb 13, 2009
I grabbed a copy of runtime and for some reason the compiler doesn't seem to do anything.

I went through this tutorial:
http://squacky.planetunreal.gamespy.com/tutorials/UnrealScript-Tutorial1.htm

and it compiled (told me it was missing gametype LastManStanding) and failed but at least it tried to do something right?

Anything else I try, including making changes to the .uc files that are included or deleting the entire Engine folder don't seem to bother the compiler at all.

What gives? How do I get the compiler to, well... compile my code?

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Wait, why is it complaining about LMS? The Runtime doesn't have any of that stuff.

You're not trying to make changes to the already existing packages are you? If you want to add your own code make your own package and extend off of the existing classes. There are a lot of behind the scenes things you'd need to recompile the Epic script files.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
You can't use the Runtime to make games. And attempting to follow a UT200x tutorial using the Runtime is futile as it's missing all the game content and especially most game-specific classes.

[edit]
In fact, that tutorial is for UT1, i.e. even a completely different engine generation.

Last edited:

cameleopard

Feb 13, 2009
sorry. My bad, I should have pointed out that I'm not actually trying to get that function to work. I was just using it as a test to see if something I made would be complied (or even attempted). I knew it wouldn't actually extend that class as the gametype doesn't exist in runtime :p

I tried doing several other things including changing the idle/walk/run/etc animations for the default cube "character" in the code, then compiling but it did nothing.

I want to be able to do more than just edit ini files but so far I haven't been able to change anything using the uc files.

Sorry, I don't want to be a complete noob...

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction

cameleopard

Feb 13, 2009
well, I wouldn't say I'm "using" it yet haha. I just grabbed it as a potential tool to use for training/instructional based products that our department is looking to produce. We've done mods for unreal 2k4 and such but we're looking to get into an engine where we can do more complex things.

If it turns out that we can add in the functionality we would need. We'd license it and start development in it. We can't afford the hefty pricetag on ut3 or even old 2.5.

So basically I'm checking it out to see if we could use it. So far, it's perfect for our graphic needs but until I get something changed code-wise we're stuck with no engine :(

cameleopard

Feb 13, 2009
some of the stuff we'll need to do is in our own, and some changes will need to be made to the existing classes. We may need to edit the door class for example... how would one go about doing that? Or are they editable at all?

cameleopard

Feb 13, 2009
it all makes sense now haha. Thank you so much for the help! :)

I'll try fooling with it more when I get back into the office!