Mike Capps Upset About Lower Gears PC Scores

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm sorry for you, I guess. It seems like you must miss out on lots of good experiences because there are few games that have as deep a storyline as Silent Hill. And really, such a thing is not necessary to create an enjoyable experience.

I've got to know, what books have you read lately? Because they rarely have an "open ending" where the story of the novels is concerned. The only conclusions they leave you to draw are what ultimately happens to the people involved, not how the story itself ends.

Additionally, I've simply got to know what it takes for you to even WATCH a movie? I'm sure you hated The Dark Knight for it's shallow plot regardless of the fact that it is simply one of the best filmed and acted movies ever made. I'm guessing you couldn't stand The Matrix or Equilibrium, since, while the plot was kind of there (in the first matrix movie, anyway), the acting was shallow and the environments were repetitive and boring.

I'm sure glad I don't have to live a life like this :rolleyes: I personally enjoy seeing things the way they are designed. Gears has a nice environment that is easy for me to get lost in, as Sijik said. I don't care that the plot is action-thriller, I kind of like that backdrop along with the destroyed beauty thing. I simply like people showing creativity in one way or another, regardless of if the quality is actually high enough for billions of people to care. Because of this, I get to enjoy a wide range of music, movies, games and plenty of other things that you surely will never get to experience. I guess "everyone's a critic" was not lost on you.

-=WolverinE=-

Apr 16, 2006
Sir_Brizz said:
I'm sorry for you, I guess. It seems like you must miss out on lots of good experiences because there are few games that have as deep a storyline as Silent Hill. And really, such a thing is not necessary to create an enjoyable experience.
Not necessarily, but when nothing else manages to catch my attention that's something I'll finish a game for.
Sir_Brizz said:
I've got to know, what books have you read lately? Because they rarely have an "open ending" where the story of the novels is concerned. The only conclusions they leave you to draw are what ultimately happens to the people involved, not how the story itself ends.
Sorry for that. I meant the character development that's left for the reader.
Sir_Brizz said:
Additionally, I've simply got to know what it takes for you to even WATCH a movie? I'm sure you hated The Dark Knight for it's shallow plot regardless of the fact that it is simply one of the best filmed and acted movies ever made. I'm guessing you couldn't stand The Matrix or Equilibrium, since, while the plot was kind of there (in the first matrix movie, anyway), the acting was shallow and the environments were repetitive and boring.
Why did we even came to discussing movies that I watch anyway? ... And to answer your question, no, I haven't seen TDK yet and I don't have plans to do so until something of good quality comes out (the local movie theater is in very bad condition to say at least). The first Matrix was ok, but the following ones were not that enjoyable. Equilibrium was a good movie with a nice perspective of what future control of government could be like. It was not visually on the level of The Matrix, but it was still good.

Sir_Brizz said:
I'm sure glad I don't have to live a life like this :rolleyes: I personally enjoy seeing things the way they are designed. Gears has a nice environment that is easy for me to get lost in, as Sijik said. I don't care that the plot is action-thriller, I kind of like that backdrop along with the destroyed beauty thing. I simply like people showing creativity in one way or another, regardless of if the quality is actually high enough for billions of people to care. Because of this, I get to enjoy a wide range of music, movies, games and plenty of other things that you surely will never get to experience. I guess "everyone's a critic" was not lost on you.
:lol: I think you should get to know me first before you even comment something about my life. I am ticked off by people like you, who like to comment on others without having any solid ground, but I will not insult you the way you insulted me. First of all, I have no problem with my life. So far I've been able to enjoy a lot of things in life and I can't say I regret anything I've done. Secondly, because I don't like GoW you thought I don't like a lot of movies and music? Maybe you need to meet more people, because I've never had any problem listening to the masterpieces of Bethoven and going to black metal like Dimmu Borgir. Before you judge someone, make sure you know enough for a conclusion, because you've made a fool out of yourself.

PS: I think it's time to end this off topic so if you have something to add, please PM me, because I'm done replying here.

Last edited:

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
Actually the general consensus among shooters is they are ... sorry but once again real world market conditions are what dictate which product is the superior one in its segment. I didn't make the rules folks I'm just letting you know how it is. You can have your own opinions of course and that is the NOT the issue here at all. The issue is the majority and the markets rule and if these shooters have a greater market share and a greater fanbase and more capital has been spent on them as product purchases than UT well yeah then the market and majority have indeed declared which is the better product. Now you and I may disagree since we like UT and its offspring better for whatever reasons but that is not the point in this particular instance.

omg yes it is the point...

Brittany Spears is the best pop singer then and National Treaure is just a masterpiece of a movie. wtf?! ppl need to stop flaunting their ignorance, its embarassing... :rolleyes:

and OMFG all you non UT3 playing haters and know nothing about business whiners are so out of touch and just cant stop being trolls it makes me sick (or it could be the lack of breakfast)... but BuF has amazingly become more full of annoying llamas than INA ever was.

as a side note, its sad to see QAP has gone over to the dark side. :eek:

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
...To make a game MP only is to strip out its soul..
QFT ...

It's pretty obvious that the mp-part of GoW was more or less done to please the kind of person who wants to look at 'on-line ratings' to determin how (un)succesful a given game is.

// --
Anyways .. it's interesting that CoD4 needed to release on multiple platforms before being able to compare to GoW.
Heck ... just imagine what GoW could have done if it had been a multi-platform release like CoD4. :eek:

//
Perhaps GoW was not 'good enough' because after spending a few hours to get the game up and running the experience was too short and shallow to compare.
Although that's more like blaming a game for defects that are inherent to the platform it runs on ...

Hedge-o-Matic

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
Funny how nobody at Epic seemed to acknowledge that UT3 was ill-received by the community when it was first released. As much as some of us love it, the game bombed, and Epic personnel just went into full-press denial mode, turning even their official forums into a protest-free police state.

I wonder what it'll take for Mike Capps et.al. to wake up to the road their company is walking. John Carmak could likely give them some words of wisdom, right about now, about how once you lose the crown, you can't win it back.

omg yes it is the point...

Brittany Spears is the best pop singer then and National Treaure is just a masterpiece of a movie. wtf?! ppl need to stop flaunting their ignorance, its embarassing... :rolleyes:

and OMFG all you non UT3 playing haters and know nothing about business whiners are so out of touch and just cant stop being trolls it makes me sick (or it could be the lack of breakfast)... but BuF has amazingly become more full of annoying llamas than INA ever was.

as a side note, its sad to see QAP has gone over to the dark side. :eek:

The only person to make sense on BUF in ages.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Funny how nobody at Epic seemed to acknowledge that UT3 was ill-received by the community when it was first released. As much as some of us love it, the game bombed, and Epic personnel just went into full-press denial mode, turning even their official forums into a protest-free police state.

UT2003 was ill-received by some of the UT community
UT2004 was ill-received by some ofthe UT community
UT3 was ill-received by some of the UT community and the UT2004 community

Just because there are a few vocal people doesn't make it a majority.
I think more people got tired of yet another UT game than that UT3 was bad. Let's face it, UT3 didn't bring much new stuff for the people who have been playing the game for the the last 9/4 years.

I wonder what it'll take for Mike Capps et.al. to wake up to the road their company is walking. John Carmak could likely give them some words of wisdom, right about now, about how once you lose the crown, you can't win it back.

John Carmack sort of agrees with the views various people from Epic (Sweeny, Rein, Capps, Blezinski):
http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/08/07/carmack_interview/

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
wtf?! ppl need to stop flaunting their ignorance, its embarassing... :rolleyes:

WTF???? Now hold on ... I have never had an issue with you and we may have disagreed about things in the past but why are you insulting me like this? Would you like me to insult you as well because quite frankly you say a lot of ridiculous things ... I thought we were on decent terms but if I am mistaken and you feel as if you have to be insulting to make your points let me know so I can adjust how I respond to you in the future. :rolleyes:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
:lol: I think you should get to know me first before you even comment something about my life. I am ticked off by people like you, who like to comment on others without having any solid ground, but I will not insult you the way you insulted me.
How did I insult you? I simply pointed out that the way you were talking, you must miss out on a great deal of good entertainment because it doesn't lve up to the insanely high standard you must hold it up to.
First of all, I have no problem with my life. So far I've been able to enjoy a lot of things in life and I can't say I regret anything I've done.
Nor do I think you should :con: How did it come across in my post that I think you have an awful life?
Secondly, because I don't like GoW you thought I don't like a lot of movies and music? Maybe you need to meet more people, because I've never had any problem listening to the masterpieces of Bethoven and going to black metal like Dimmu Borgir. Before you judge someone, make sure you know enough for a conclusion, because you've made a fool out of yourself.
I just supposed a few things by WHAT YOU COMPLAINED ABOUT WITH GEARS OF WAR.

I don't care how many people try to claim different, but all media is the same. If you don't like Gears for the reasons in your post, then you must not like a great deal of other media that is relatively of the same quality in all sorts of different areas.

Silent Hill has one of the deepest stories and well planned atmospheres of any game series of ever made. If you require that kind of depth in all of your games, I can only assume that translates to other forms of media as well. At the same time, though, it's riddled with holes and is only skin deep (the series doesn't tell a story about Silent Hill, it tells several stories about different people who go there and their stories never stray too far from the core "moral").

Anyway, you are comparing Beethoven to a group like Linkin Park or Nightwish or pick whoever your current favorite band is. Just because Beethoven was a genius by comparison doesn't make that artist bad.

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
Eh, is there really anything to argue here? Gears may be a good console shooter, but it is nothing special at all on the PC market, and dare i say it, the fact that it is 3'rd person and not 1'st really hinders it in this market, PC players are not that keen on 3'rd person shooters.

They are different markets, and you will be up against different expectations and competition on thease markets, you cannot expect any game made for one market to do as good in the other market, infact it is fully possible for a title to be a smash success in one and a total failure in the other.

I'm not too keen on unnecessary usage of the apostrophe either.

Gears is a good-ish game, but not great. Epic have been making average games for a long time now.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
This thread needs a coathanger hook up the birth canal, followed by vigorous twisting.

Abortion metaphors need to be quoted. Especially when they are for truth.

The argument in the middle of all this mudslinging is whether it's bull**** a game that plays like a port but has more content is worse or better than the original.

It is most definitely bull**** for Gamespot to call Gears of War for the PC "Everything the 360 version was and more" and give a lower review score.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Obviously, the majority thought it was a good movie. How else do you judge the quality of something, really?

Plus, most things are made to be successful. If they aren't successful, that is certainly not a good thing.

intentsly

Feb 20, 2008
old but new

Mike Capps should rethink his attitude. The economy is in the toilet and parents aren't going to spring for the same game on two platforms. The fact that Epic didn't do the port to PC clearly shouts afterthought and greed. I haven't heard anything but complaints about the game being buggy on PC. If a product isn't ready for prime time, it will get gigged for it (taken down a notch or two). Showing the commitment to quality they had when they started out making Unreal and UT would be the cure to what ails Epic. The gaming industry seems hell bent on having to have the latest effects and AI, irregardless of how well a game plays. C'mon Mike ship it simultaneously and ship it when its REALLY done, then you won't need to take your nerve pills.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah this is a good point and one Ive brought up a few times myself, paying full price for virtually the same titles across platforms is a ripoff. Now ofcoarse some developers do try and add stuff to each platform to make it alittle unique but when you have paid for the majority part of a game before you really dont want to be paying full price for an expansion which might not even be the size of an expansion.

This doesnt really go to the topic at hand about review scores, if I were Dr Capps Id be more concerned with sales we all know reviewers have bias even the most objective and trusted reviewers out there. Reviews dont sell games, platforms dont sell game, publishers sell games!

One thing we see commonly is the ole "not a revolution" pitch from reviewers about a game, Im wonder if expectations are higher on PC to push the industry forward. If every game on the nextgen of consoles suddenly gets 9's and 10's just because people will complain otherwise it'll just stuff the whole thing up, I just think PC reviewers are known to give more headroom moving forward. Call me crazy but I been reading PC gaming review mags for about 5yrs longer then I remember any console game review mag being around. So maybe theres something to the generation of reviewers and ofcoarse also the key point which I mentioned earlier, whether or not a reviewer had played/seen GoW before they did the PC review.

-=WolverinE=-

Apr 16, 2006
How did I insult you? I simply pointed out that the way you were talking, you must miss out on a great deal of good entertainment because it doesn't lve up to the insanely high standard you must hold it up to.
Sir_Brizz said:
I'm sorry for you, I guess.
Sorry, but I don't need your sympathy. If I've intentionally missed out something, that's because I didn't want it in my life, thus it was not entertainment for me to begin with.

Sir_Brizz said:
Nor do I think you should :con: How did it come across in my post that I think you have an awful life?
Sir_Brizz said:
I'm sure glad I don't have to live a life like this:rolleyes:
So you deny the implication of an "awful" life or however you want to put it?

Sir_Brizz said:
I don't care how many people try to claim different, but all media is the same.
That's just ignorant, because not everyone reeds books/watches movies/plays games. If all media were the same type of experience/quality/whatever, then things wouldn't be the way they are now.

Sir_Brizz said:
Anyway, you are comparing Beethoven to a group like Linkin Park or Nightwish...
WTF?! When did I ever compare Beethoven to any band? I stated that I listen music from genre 1 to genre 2. I think numbers should be better description for you since you like them so much.

And seriously, enough is enough. Stop commenting things about me and focus on the damn topic, because the thread became a bloody pile of bull sh!t.