Tweak UT graphics/sound to the max

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The greatest mystery of all: OpenGL or D3D (Including the D3D8 one)?

• OpenGl

Votes: 108 64.7%
  • D3D (or D3D8)

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • Software is the best!

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • They all suck!

Votes: 14 8.4%

• Total voters

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I replaced the S3TC textures (SkyBox.utx, city.utx and ShaneSky.utx) with the original ones from Disc1 and now the CityIntro no longer has the box around the sky. I must have missed this before. I also made a backup of Disc2-Extras. I tried to make a backup of Disc1 and Nero told me I had a bunch of unrecoverable errors, so I stopped the burn, cleaned the disc, tried again with the same result. Good thing my brother got me the GOTY edition for when I build me new computer. I still would like to make a backup of Disc1.......anyone know how I can do it? Will EAC or Imgburn work or are those only for music and DVDs, respectively?

Um, nevermind, I found my backup of Disc1 I made a while ago. But it has a label on it, so I'll have to burn it again. Um, aaaah, that one didn't work either. Any ideas?

Also, changed UseCVA to True because both my present video cards don't have hardware T&L (translation & lighting). For cards without this, setting it to True might help.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I was going through some old notes tonight and will be modifying that list above over the next day or two. I found some stuff Sir_Brizz (and UberLord from driverheaven.net forum) said back in July/August 2002 that may be relevant and I'll add what people said after that post. I belief the thread is was in is lost, so I'll add it back here.

EDIT: Also, I added some more stuff from the UTGLR settings link.:)

Last edited:

K

i bite
Jul 29, 2004
Magrathea
I know that if you install UT and move it to another drive it still works fine. So with that logic i don't see why you couldn't do a minimal install and just turn it into an iso or something.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Just ran the cityintro timedemo with CurvedSurfaces False and True and here's the results:

CurvedSurfaces=False
min. FPS >> 84.20
max. FPS >> 262.82
avg. FPS >> 137.30 (UTbench - 68.45)

CurvedSurfaces=True
min. FPS >> 84.15
max. FPS >> 263.75
avg. FPS >> 136.87 (UTbench - 67.55)

Looks like there's barely a 1 FPS hit with CurvedSurfaces True on my XP system, so I'll leave it True for it and keep it False on my Win98SE system. Um, I just realized something. This setting is for player models and the models don't appear until the very end of cityintro, so maybe this isn't the best test. I guess I'm going to have to run UTbench.......I'll be back.:)

Similar results with UTbench; I modified the above to show the averages.

Last edited:

K

i bite
Jul 29, 2004
Magrathea
This is becoming to fun. :D
I will try some more runs on the ini myself and see what i can do.

Last edited:

Derdak2rot

DVD2r
Jan 8, 2005
France
standard :
s3tcoffd3d.jpg

enhanced opengl :

s3tconopengl.jpg

:D

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
There's an old article by utclans.org that explains and illustrates the differences very well, but I can't find it on the net anymore. It's called "How to use the S3TC detailed textures on the 2nd UT CD" by Danny Diplo. Cool pics above that illustrate the floor texture differences, but this article also showed the human form differences.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
With higher resolutions, 6x AA and 16 AF it looks even better. UT3 can't compete :lol:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
iSenSe, yes I found that as well.

Raynor.Z, I'm playing at 2xAA and 4XAF and it's forced for all my games that will take it, but I don't want to go any higher............now the new system will be a different story.;)

iSenSe

on it!
Jan 20, 2008
DM-1on1SmallMountain [NL]
oke, heres my rig ;)

i use;
openGL 3.4 with all the settings from this thread.
The High-Resolution Textures that hermskii has on his site.

1024x768
could i get this any better ?
think not though

with all these tweaks UT is looking soo good, so much different than from the original. whaha love the guys that invented this :D

works like a charm :)

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
http://www.unrealtexture.com/UT/UT.htm

More S3TCs.
That Bible is nice...
But I don't agree to most of the writer's preferences. It's set to turbo online fragging, but that guy misses half of what the game has to offer. Like, no music? UT music is not too good, but duh, it's better than silence and Unreal maps have cool music, as well as when playing SP, it's a must have!
Other settings as well, no weapon = WTH? That's the worst option ever! Weapon display pwns!

Last edited:

iSenSe

on it!
Jan 20, 2008
DM-1on1SmallMountain [NL]
indeed Greatemerald, i have it off cause i am an instagibber ;)

but i think he has it hidden, cause he has hotkeys to select the weapon he wants.
for example;
1=minigun
2=sniper
3=flak

and so on, i like all the descriptions he putted into the bible, cause half of the ini is one weird sh*t to me :p

UT is good enough for me when i use the enhanced opengl3.4
and the High Res Textures and some modifications in teh ini that are showed in the tut here. .. its a helluva difference with the original.
a mate of mine knows UT for a quite long time, but he wont play it cause the gfx sux he says, then they other day i tweaked his UT like mine with the opengl3.4, and the high res textures. and he loves it :D

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Yes, some of the settings are there for performance and others don't need them and then others all of us should set it that way for OpenGL. Personally (for those of you that don't know by now), I love the music and like it for all maps. Every now and then, I'll play some maps (that have good ambient sounds) without it just to hear the ambient sounds a little better. Also, I never got into the noshowweapons thing and really don't care to try it; I really need to know what weapon I'm carrying at the time and I use the buttons as well to change weapons, although, I really need to start learning to use the mouse wheel for that.

nodbone

Feb 24, 2008
http://www.unrealtexture.com/UT/UT.htm

More S3TCs.
That Bible is nice...
But I don't agree to most of the writer's preferences. It's set to turbo online fragging, but that guy misses half of what the game has to offer. Like, no music? UT music is not too good, but duh, it's better than silence and Unreal maps have cool music, as well as when playing SP, it's a must have!
Other settings as well, no weapon = WTH? That's the worst option ever! Weapon display pwns!

No music allows you to hear other peoples steps... so you can know theres someone arround the corner.