UEd3/UT2K4: Use the teleport you stupid bots!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GingerFlaps

(sweet, moist & chewy)
May 8, 2004
England, UK
Another day, another problem... sorry to bother you all again but...

I've got an onslaught map with vehicles and a powernode that is on a remote island only reachable by teleport. This idea works fine for players, but the stupid bots ignore the teleport and try to drive to the powernode on the remote island even though it's through lava and there's no road path! :eek: That's ginger-flapping crazy!!! :eek:

How can I stop bots being stupid? :rolleyes:

Thanks (yet again)
Ginger.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I'm assuming they want to use the teleport, but don't have the brains enough to get out of the vehicle beforehand. Not sure what you can do about that... Maybe you could make the teleport area inaccessible to vehicles by leaving out the road paths. Then if they wanted to go over there, they'd get out. In theory. ;)

Rask

Aug 15, 2004
Finland
www.rdegree.net
So you want the bots to exit the vehicle and go through the teleporter?
You might need to use a UnrealScriptedSequence to do that.
Not sure if this could help with those...

erg_the_caveman

Aug 14, 2004
you could check which node they try to get to over the lava, and prohibit that path in the roadpathnode properties, or force the path to the teleporter?

GingerFlaps

(sweet, moist & chewy)
May 8, 2004
England, UK
Turns2Ashes said:
I'm assuming they want to use the teleport, but don't have the brains enough to get out of the vehicle beforehand. Not sure what you can do about that... Maybe you could make the teleport area inaccessible to vehicles by leaving out the road paths. Then if they wanted to go over there, they'd get out. In theory. ;)
Thanks for the idea, and yes your theory does work in practice, but I'd like to keep the teleport on the main roadpath.

GingerFlaps

(sweet, moist & chewy)
May 8, 2004
England, UK
erg_the_caveman said:
you could check which node they try to get to over the lava, and prohibit that path in the roadpathnode properties, or force the path to the teleporter?
Thanks for the idea... I changed the RoadPathNode to Proscribe the path to (destination) Teleporter, but the bots drive from the RoadPathNode to the (source) Teleporter and then drive to the (destination) Teleporter along the teleport path. :(

GingerFlaps

(sweet, moist & chewy)
May 8, 2004
England, UK
musilowski said:
So you want the bots to exit the vehicle and go through the teleporter?
You might need to use a UnrealScriptedSequence to do that.
Not sure if this could help with those...
It's starting to sound complicated; have you got this to work for you? ;)

erg_the_caveman

Aug 14, 2004
erm, in a few cases quite similar i have yeah, but its kinda dodgy... erm, you could check that the (source) teleporter isnt a vehicle destination, and force that path? in theory it shud work but nufin works to theory...

GingerFlaps

(sweet, moist & chewy)
May 8, 2004
England, UK
erg_the_caveman said:
erm, in a few cases quite similar i have yeah, but its kinda dodgy... erm, you could check that the (source) teleporter isnt a vehicle destination, and force that path? in theory it shud work but nufin works to theory...
It's the only path the bots can take, and Teleporter->Navigationpoint->bVehicleDestination = False, but the bots ignore this setting because they hate me. :(
So... I put a JumpPad between the RoadPathNode and the (source) Teleport, which stops bots driving through the lava, but now they walk all the way to the JumpPad instead of driving to the nearest RoadPathNode. :mad:

Last edited:

erg_the_caveman

Aug 14, 2004
yeah, erm, well there's gotta b sum scripting or mabe a hidden variable that tells the bots to get out? id have no idea tho, so yeah...

GingerFlaps

(sweet, moist & chewy)
May 8, 2004
England, UK
erg_the_caveman said:
yeah, erm, well there's gotta b sum scripting or mabe a hidden variable that tells the bots to get out? id have no idea tho, so yeah...
Do you know any scripting wiz that can help me out?

erg_the_caveman

Aug 14, 2004
nope, i no jack about scripting, but there's probly a bit in the erm ?editing? forum group? or do a search or sumthin sos

maurice

May 24, 2004
This may sound stupid but have you checked that the bots can get there *and* get back? If they can't, they won't try.