Manual or automatic?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ecale3

Sniper - May be harmful to your health.
Jul 13, 2001
Maryland Bitch.
www.ecale25.netfirms.com
Cali makes you actually drive the car (and yet these people still can't drive) but once you are licensed you can drive manual or automatic at will (no matter what you take the test in).

on a side note, i wonder about a person that considers 117 horsepower to be a lot (round here horsepower isn't worth mentioning if its less than like 200).

Last edited:

Vega-don

arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée
Mar 17, 2003
Paris suburbs
Visit site
you dont know nothing about vehicules for saying that..

lotus elise 111S : 143 horses. 0 to 100km/h = 5.4sec
BMW m5 V8 : 400 Horses . 0 to 100km/H = 5.4 sec

of course my automatic car is slower , but goes fast..

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Interesting discussion. After 15 years of driving I only own cars with manual transmission, but that is about to change within 1-2 weeks. I used to think that manual transmission is the way to go but after driven quite a few with automatic my opinion has started to change somewhat. Sure, it is a bit faster with manual shifting, a lot more fun at times but normal cruising, automatic feels somewhat more comfortable.
Anyway, going to get a brand new Volvo s40 2.0T Classic with a 5 speed automatic. It is 0.5 sec slower from 0-100 km/h, I can live with that. I drove a similar car with manual gears (s40 T4) and frankly, I didn't enjoy it. It was great when you drove on the edge but in normal stop and go driving it got a bit tiring. Like, a slow corner, usually I'd take that with 2nd gear, with that T4, you could take it with 3rd as it had so much more torgue etc.
I also know that my driving style is not easy on the clutch so removing that part sort of eases my mind. (already broken one gear with my reckless driving, didn't like the repair cost at all).
So, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if the car is powerful enough with enough torgue at low rpm's automatic is not as bad as it first feels :) With the DSA (Dynamic Stability Assistance) I'm pretty confident I can accelerate fast enough for my needs. Even in the slippery winter conditions we got here in Finland.

//Kee

G36

Loose Cannon
Oct 19, 2003
www.homestarrunner.com
Manual. It's just so much more fun and the feeling of getting a shift just right coming into a tight corner just clinches it. There's something about that auto slurrrrrrrrrrr through gears that turns my stomach. I hate it.

I drove my first auto when I went interstate to see my sister and drove her car when she'd been drinking. She had to tell me what to do the whole time.... ("okay now put it in drive", "what, with the handbrake still on? we'll stall!" ;))

Chow Yun-Fat

W3RD UP
Jan 20, 2001
</lurk>

manual is more fun. for people who say its a lot of work, learning to double clutch makes it a lot easier. as for starting better off a stoplight, try driving a manual car with some decent power and holding the rpms at around 1500-2000 and dropping the clutch. or holding it at least right above the stall point. it definately takes more work than hitting the gas and accellerating right, but its more fun if you want to show off. also automatics are usually geared a lot differently than their manual counter parts, automatics also weigh a bit more than maunals because of the torque converter. my biggest thing agains autotragics is that they often dont know when to shift. my dad has a 94 jeep that constantly switches between 2nd and 3rd when you hold the gas at 30mph... which is usually town/city speed, just kind of annoying. at 35mph it seems okay though, lol, so i speed a little. also automatics can't downshift and engine brake (or at least shouldn't). when you're going really quick and need to stop, the ablity to down shift and break is really helpful. also rather than riding the brakes down a hill or around a curve, you can just downshift to 3 or 4 and the car engine breaks down the hill (keeps you at a good speed too) or around the corner. btw, its really bad for the solinoids on the automatic if you downshift, shift it from D1-D, or shift it from N to D a lot while you're driving, well unless it has triptronic (those dont let you hold it in first gear though usually, unless its a really expencive car). automatics are better for crusing, or something really pimp or bling. manuals are better for large powerful trucks and sportier cars.

also you could easily get a bj in either. you'd need to be on a straight at a steady speed. if you think it would be easier in an automatic because you wont be shifting, if you're taking corners and stuff your elbows would keep knocking her in the head and she'd be choaking down there.

also it isn't hard to smoke and drive with a manual, my ashtray was right infront of the shifter. when you drive a stick you learn how to do many things while driving. such as, drink coffee, smoke, and make a phone call (handsfree). eat a sandwhich, drink your drink and find a napkin. all sorts of stuff. you learn how to stear with your knees pretty well.

<lurk>

Lt.Col.BoyHitsCar

AFA Member & Beta Team Target
Feb 18, 2002
Visit site
my first car was a prelude automatic, loved the car for a year before i could drive. turned 16 got my license and my mom wrecked it a day later.

since then i've only owned manual cars/truck. i love it, and i've never understood the complaint about getting tired in traffic... is you leg that weak or the clutch that tight? i've never had that problem, i've always found that it kept my legs from going to sleep.

i may be mistaken but some of you manual drivers make it seem like cruise control doesnt exist on your cars. i know all of my cars have had cruise control that i can engage in i think any gear.

chowyunfat hit it on the head though about control. engine braking helps a ton, specially in turns and bad weather. my antilock breaking is such a wuss in my truck, i've had it engage way to early and for nothing almost sending me into an intersection. luckily i dropped into a lower gear and the wheels caught enough for me to drive up onto the grass. heh, also i can burn rubber in my s-10 v6 up to 3rd gear before and show off so much easier. dont even need an emergency brake.

and proper double clutching is a must to keep wear down on the ol'tranny synchro. also makes for some fun and tight cornering.

anyways, i'll never not own a manual.

btw, do any of you manual drivers out there do what i do so many times. everytime i get into an automatic to drive it, i'll forget and be coming to a stop sign or light and i'll go to put in the clutch and smash down on the overly long brake pedal. sending whomever i'm driving nearly into the dash? i always do it, its such an automatic response to me that i cant kick.

Shrap

Beaver
Oct 29, 2000
btw, do any of you manual drivers out there do what i do so many times. everytime i get into an automatic to drive it, i'll forget and be coming to a stop sign or light and i'll go to put in the clutch and smash down on the overly long brake pedal. sending whomever i'm driving nearly into the dash? i always do it, its such an automatic response to me that i cant kick.

:lol: I never drive automatic but if I ever do, I'm sure I would do that as well.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Well, some 350km within the last few days in my new volvo with automatic transmission...and I'm loving it. It has not taken out the fun of driving as I initially was concerned over. The 5 gear trans. works flawlessly, and its pretty smooth.
Can't say I miss the clutch at all :)

//Kee

Saladin

Fez Toting Warrior!
Jul 25, 2002
Atlanta, GA, USA
home.attbi.com
Automatic = the lack of fun.

In pretty much most cars, if you are paying attention, you will get a better start.

For your average road car, <200hp, dont brag about it.

The elise is still a race car, it weighs like 750kg, thats pretty light, in SCCA spec C and D racers have around 200hp, and make my car look like a civic in respect to them speedwise because they are much lighter, weight matters.....but guess what they use for racing, a manual tranny.

more controll + fun = score.

and it is possible to get road head, drink a coke, and eat while you drive a manual...just pause action in your shifting hand to shift...
(imo, if shes really good, you wont be able to drive though ;) )

edit: my bad to say there are a few exceptions to autos are evil, some cars are built auto cause your average joe wouldnt be able to drive it w/o breaking it if it was manual.........mercedes-benz e55 amg....hot ****, only in auto.

Last edited: