Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Gangster Squad-7/10

An entertaining take on an old story and well worth a look. Very violent but very well done. Lots of vibe and action........

End of Watch-6/10

A bit predictable and not much above an average cop movie. An interesting take on the style of the film but I could see how this was all going to pan out. Predictable.......

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Much Ado About Nothing (2012) 8.5/10

Very entertaining, funny and clever take on the play. Amy Aker finally shows that she does have the stage presence to star. Her low-key style works here so that when the intense scenes come around, the contrast works.

The rest of the cast do just as well; of particular note is Nathan Fillion's Dogberry - he plays it straight and it is so much the funnier for that. A pleasant change from Michael Keaton's extremely annoying performance in the 1993 film.

My daughter (admittedly, an admirer of the play and 1993 film), when asked to rate this out of 10 stated that she would "have to turn the dial up to 12". :)

Star Trek Into Darkness 5/10

Pretty much what Mr. Prophet wrote (and I think he let the script writers and director off lightly). OK as a Summer blockbuster but hugely underachieving and unambitious.

Man of Steel 5/10

Better than the last outing but that's not saying much.

The script's attempts at rationalising away the Superman's powers and the limits to those powers were inept; we were bludgeoned with the Messiah theme; the final boss battle was the same city-centre destruction that we have seen (what feels like) a million times before; Louis Lane was annoyingly bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and seriously cynicism-deficient; the origin elements of the story took forever to get through.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Not necessarily a movie, but just got finished watching all 5 seasons of The Wire.

The show is just amazing.
I have twice now tried to watch The Wire and never managed to get beyond the third episode - what am I doing wrong? Is there some magic that happens in episode 4 and I just need to persist or is all the magic there in the first three episodes and I just don't get it?

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
World War Z 6/10

Better as a Summer action movie than a horror flic. The action's OK but precious little of the source material remains and the zombies are a bit PG-lite. Not an entirely unexpected result as the structure of the book renders it essentially unfilmable.

Tux Android

Voice Pack Penguin
May 19, 2011
Philippines
Two new movies rated + one original.

World War Z (2013) [Cinema] (B-)

Monsters University (2013) [Cinema] (B+)

Monsters Inc. (2003) [FOX Family Movies] (A)

Last edited:

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Man Of Steel - 5/10

It's hard to believe that the original Superman movie was made over 35 years ago but what's even harder to believe, is that that film is far superior in every way to this latest offering from Zack Snyder.
The films story, as expected, is identical to the original but what really hacked me off was the fact that I didn't hear the immortal line "Kneel before Zod!"
That's just unforgivable.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Man Of Steel - 5/10

The films story, as expected, is identical to the original but what really hacked me off was the fact that I didn't hear the immortal line "Kneel before Zod!"
Although I'm not an admirer of this particular production, I think it should be given some credit for a fairly nuanced portrayal of Zod. He wasn't "pure evil"; misguided and eventually consumed by his own certainties made for a rather more interesting character.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Lruce gives it a 5/10 so it most likely will be 7.5 or 8 to me. I will probably see it on my next days off. Crowds should be more or less dead by then.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Toy Soldiers-5/10

An old flick with some familiar faces in it. Lame in places and pretty average.

After Earth-5/10

While this movie had some good visuals, art direction and costuming the story (by Will Smith) and the screenplay (by M Night Shymalan) was pretty weak and clichéd. Like most recent Shymalan films it was worth seeing once; but once is probably enough.

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Hummingbird 8/10 (AKA Redemption)

At last! The answer to a question that I never knew that I wanted to ask. What would an art house Jason Statham movie look like?

The answer is, something like Hummingbird. And very enjoyable it was too!

Fans going expecting to see a typical JS movie will have their expectations confounded (and many will be disappoint by that which they do not understand).

There is (pretty crunchy) action but it succeeds because less is more. Fewer fight scenes done better really works here.

The real meat of the film lies in the slow-burn development of the relationship between the two main characters. Agata Buzek is excellent and Statham, whilst never in danger of challenging Olivier's legacy, does show that he can act a bit (enough).

The London setting, whilst familiar, is different enough from the usual run of settings to be a character in its own right.

In some ways Hummingbird treads similar ground to Dead Man Down (but does it better). If you liked that then you might like Hummingbird.

I hesitate in recommending this firmly because I'm certain that many will hate this. All I can say is, put away your expectations. Who knows? You might enjoy it?

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
Man of Steel - 6/10
The story is good maybe even great but the entire movie is very gray in color which worked for Batman but not really here.

Henry Cavill definitely has the looks for Superman and actingwise he is alright but nothing special really. Russel Crowe does the most of his role as the biological father of Superman and is the standout acting performance of the movie. Kevin Costner is pretty good as the adoptive father of Superman but his dialogue feels clichéd. Amy Adams is decent but nothing special as Lois Lane. Last but not least Michael Shannon does a solid portrayal of General Zod as the main antagonist but some of his dialogue is crap.

The movie is at least 30 minutes longer than necessary, personally I don't like the flashback scenes from Clark Kents childhood at all. And all scenes at The Daily Planet feels stupid.
The first half of the movie is extremely boring and uneventful (save for the scenes on Krypton). All in all I'd say it's an OK film but rather disappointing, I really don't know why they picked Zack Snyder to direct, it might have been better with another directer cause the story is as I said earlier pretty decent and I really like Zod.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Not sure what score I would give "Into Darkness" or "Man of Steel", but I thought both deserved higher scores than given here. I thought the new Star Trek movie was better than the one before it and I loved the way the new Superman movie was presented as something new and refreshing.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Man of Steel (3D)-7/10

Despite the good things said about this film I was still uncertain about yet another remake/reboot of the Superman origin story.

I thought the film was very entertaining. Massive action sequences and fight scenes that combined both an Incredible Hulk and Matrix type of groove.

An excellent cast too.

At least this reboot didn't end up being like some National Lampoon parody which is more than I can say for the latest Trek film.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Will be getting on Blu-ray when I can.

Star Trek: Into Darkness - 8/10

Still better than anything else in the Star Trek Canon released since at least DS9. I never really engaged with the old movies, but this I liked. I like the fact that it's a case of peering into the looking glass rather than just a straight reboot.

Looper - 9/10

Paradoxes aside, this was superb. It's a sci-fi movie that attempts at being vaguely intelligent and manages to pull it off. Good cast, good story and a well-realised world.