So in your opinion, what's the best game ever made?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Shock6822

Cock of the Walk
Jul 2, 2000
That way ->
I base the games I like solely on gameplay...graphics dont mean much to me

My fave game is definitely Final Fantasy 7...the story really involves you, and you really get hooked. Another thing I really loved about FF7 which no other game except UT and Chrono Chross (2 more excellent games, I might add) is the awesome music. The music in FF7 is...wow.

Zenda

Turbo Adept+10%
Jan 31, 2001
London
Visit site
Daggerfall - first person action/roleplay in a game world which has been developing for about 6 years or so.

dungeon-structure and foe-placement were computer-generated with randomizing. Infinite subquests to go on and no particular order that the quests needed to be done in. the main story arc could be done at the convenience of the player. i spent many weeks of regular playing before i tried the main story arc. There was enough to do getting to Know the massive world.

The other game is Outcast by Eves Grollet and his gang. The music was MEGA - genuine russian choir and an hilariously talkative set of characters. It was a kind of First person listening- to-them-chatting-away-for-ages-'em-up. The artificial Intelligence was pure ownage in terms of getting many characters to meaningfully potter about the gameworld. as a test, I set my character up to simply people - watch at a mining - village. Over a two hour period, they were performing mining activities without repeating any sequences. They did'nt even seem to be going into any set sequences. They even had a series of off duty things to do as well. {kind of like a Nali rabbit with an IQ of 135}.

UT is number one - no question about that.

phil

OH GOD
Jan 3, 2000
nethack
you just cant get any more complex I dont even think ADOM is as complex as nethack.

doom is a close second as it is the father of modern gaming

[edit] alot of people are going to say UT but i didnt find UT to be that revolutionary. good game just not in the same league as deus ex system shock 2 or quake 1[/edit]

Last edited:

AriTheDog

frog steering expert
May 6, 2001
USA
Visit site
crono trigger. i must've played through it over 20 times. probably, no, definitely more. i didn't enjoy the sequel as much. way too many characters lf little room for character development, and left not enough powers per person. plus i hated the final fantasy combat system.

UT was great.

Deus ex was also amazing, if a bit depressing.

Tetris attack is also one of my favorte games ever, beause it never gets old.

so are worms 2, and street fighter alpha 3, though those get a bit old at times.

deathren

Dusty ****er.
Nov 26, 1999
Anchorage, Alaska
I honestly think Rise of The Triad (aka, ROTT) is a real classic.
'Specially with Dog and Shrooms mode. Their version of godmode is cute too. :D

Then there is half life.
Playability!

SpawN

Mutated Hell Spawn
Feb 2, 2000
I.T.N
Visit site
I have to agree with Zenda, daggerfall is one of the best games ever made(rpg) I personally think.

Also Total Annihilation is the best strategy game I ever have played, and still play. Much better than the C&C series.

Frontier Elite the best space simulation, uuhhhmm, ok Privateer 2 the darkening also.

Final Fantasy 7, best game, because of the story and the feeling of it.

The ultima series just rule, especially 6 and 7, I spend so much hours playing these games, just luv it!!.

And offcourse UT, need to say more.

I'm forgetting alot more, but these are just stuck in my head

Hunter6

Fierce Competitor
Jun 19, 2001
Chicago
Visit site
If i put in my token worth it would have to be contra for the nes. Everybody together up,up,down,down,left,right,left,right,b,a,select,start.(30 man code for 2 players)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
DOOM 2! :D

Sure doom is great, but it's lacking the supershotgun and a couple of nasty baddies :) such as the arachnotron, mancubi and revenants.
And all those add-on levels.
Unique sp shoot-em up.
MAkes rott look a bit bland :)

Jun 12, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
Daggerfall - It was big, it was amazing, but it had a few limitations (I wanted to settle down and set up a buisness, but no!) which stopped it being a classic to me. Sure, I liked it, but I could never have bothered to finish it, and it had an aweful lot of bugs.

Half-Life - I still think that HL is the greatest SP experience ever. Calling Half-Life a game is an insult. Half-Life is a dream. I especially like the fact that from the start of the intro sequence to the end of the conclusion, you ARE Gorden Freeman and you see every singly inch. I want someone to draw a map showing the path all the way from the start of the tram-ride to as far as possible (probably to the point where you get knocked out).

Deus Ex - I love it. So many people which I talk to seems to hate it, but PC Gamer game it GOTY and we all know that PCG know everything. Also, DX multiplayer is looking good and getting better.

UT - I don't know why UT is great. The interesting weapons? The awesome AI? The varied levels? You would think that a game like UT might get repeditive, but it never has for me.

Wing Commander 4 - Dosen't anybody else love this game? The only WC which I played, it rocked both as a movie and as a game. Wing Commander 4's casting cost more than the (pathetic) Wing Commander movie.

Quake 3 - sucks.

Quake 1 - Remember the old debate of Quake vs Duke Nukem 3d? You'll remember that Duke 3d was more popular, and although Quake supporters had some good arguments ("Duke isn't 3d at all!") Duke 3d was IMO much better. In particular, it look place in semi-real-world-locations. Even Quake 3 still hasn't got the idea that we are sick of gothic temple things.

Although I hear that today, Quake is still played a lot and Duke 3d isn't.

Oh, I forgot Jedi Knight. JK had objectives in a FPS. Madness! You mean you don't just try to find the red button? JK also had cutscenes between every mission and it had lots of other cool stuff.

Other good games: Black & White, Die By The Sword.

(later)

...Hmmm.... I guess you only wanted to know about my favorite game, not every game I ever played...

Pabu

A God among mortals
Feb 25, 2001
MN, USA
Visit site
Metroid is my favorite game of all time. I remember going to my friends house every day for a month after school until we finally beat it. Some other cool games from my past (im sticking to the nes here): Goonies, Kid Icarus, Contra, Legend of Zelda and of course Final Fantasy.