Car question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
For the gear heads/petrol heads of BU, I got a question. I am thinking of changing my car in the next few months. Currently, I drive a Scion TC, it's a nice ride, still running strong but the mileage is getting high (right now at 70,100) and the trade in value is dropping.

I have narrowed down to what car I want next but figured I get some opinions from y'all, and if you own any of these cars please tell me more info about the drive, handling, and feel of these rides.

So far I am looking at either going for the Nissan 370z Touring, Subaru Impreza WRX, or a if I can find a decent price on a used one, a BMW Z4.

I have watched a lot of reviews online including this one from Top Gear, but still not sure what I want to get.

Also if you guys have experienced or owned any other mid ranged sports cars and would like to offer those as purchasing suggestion then please let me know. I plan to do some test drives this weekend of the 370z and Z4.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
There are quite a few BMW-certified mechanics out there who are pretty familiar with the components, as far as Florida goes. I don't know all that much about the market in Texas, but I'd assume it's similar. Parts are expensive though... maybe the Nissan would be the best route because its parts should be comparably less expensive and therefore maintenance costs should be lower. The nissan z series is pretty common in the Ft. Lauderdale area, but yet again, I don't know what the market in texas looks like.

The 370z is quite nice, as is the Z4, but I've known Subaru vehicles most of my life. Durable cars that can take a lot of wear and tear.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I wouldn't get a BMW unless it's an M or a 3/5 series.
the Z4 (and Z3 for that matter) is more like a mid-life crisis kind of car. in terms of a car you actually want people to see you in, the Z4 only ranks slightly above the Mazda Miata.

you would eventually regret owning a Z4.
you'd never regret owning an Impreza or 370Z.

my vote is for the Nissan.
it's the most unique vehicle of the choices, the best looking, and provides at least as much "headroom" (if you will) as the Impreza when it comes to aftermarket capability. if you're into working on your cars to make them faster then you should know that the 370 takes to bolt-ons extremely well. you won't have to drop a lot of cash to squeeze out a lot of extra performance. and you can do most of it yourself with basic tools in your driveway.

c'mon, who could say no to this?

227p9884.jpg

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
Yeah the looks of the 370z impress me. The only thing I have heard bad about it is "road noise" and that it has poor rear view visibility. My TC has road noise, it's not that bad, I guess a test drive will prove how bad it it actually is compared to what reviewers write.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Co-worker of mine swears by his Impreza WRX and having been in it I can see why. Not familiar with the other ones, but the Impreza seems like a robust car.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
The WRX is a great car (test drove one before I got my tC), but they aren't built for quiet and comfort. They are pretty loud. Definitely worth a drive, though.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Definitely +1 for an Impreza or WRX. Both the 370 and Z4 are awesome but definitely a bit more expensive and not quite as practical. So deciding between those would really a be a question of how sporty you want your car to be. I just think the WRX would be the best of both worlds while being more affordable in the long run. You might also want to check out its rival at Mitsubishi.

Are you looking at used cars at all? There's always tuners. I love GT3000's or even Civics they're done properly. A Dodge Stealth is almost literally a 3000 but for less. The main problem here is just finding cars that haven't had the snot beat out of them or have been owned by morons that have no idea what they're doing.

I would for sure not get the Z4. It's way too small for Texas, and I wouldn't recommend it for here. That's a final thought there.

The Impreza WRX will make you crap your pants. It's so much fun to drive and it handles the best out of the 3 choices you originally went with. I have worked on them before and it's ok. Lots of power crammed in there, as is with most cars these days. The power and AWD make it a great Texas car, especially since we get some ice and snow every now and then. It's also great for the rain, not that we get it much here in the DFW area, but still, it's there and it's very useful. Another thing is that the Impreza is bigger. You have more head room, and the 4 door option too. The exhaust sound is great. I love it. It's more comfortable than the 370z too. If it was my purchase, I would go with this car.

The 370z is a sports car. Great for Texas, not so great for the roads here, at least in Fort Worth, they aren't all that great, and last time I was out in Dallas, they weren't all that great either. The 370z sits lower to the ground and you do have more road noise. But fuck that, you'll be jamming to some nice tunes I'm sure anyways, so don't worry too much about the road noise. It's a rear wheel drive car, which are fun as hell for driving around corners and doing burn outs. It's smaller of course, so I didn't care for it. I'm 6'2, and found the Impreza much more comfortable. The 370z is sport tuned (most of them anyways) so it's going to be a bumpier ride than the Impreza (which you'll buy in blue... right?)

What do you plan to do with your TC? give me some quick specs about it, and how much you want for it. I'm looking for a convert car that I want to start working on rally racing with it.

I own a 2003 BMW 330CIc (Convertible) it's great. It's sport tuned, and it's much rougher than the Audi A4 I have. I also have a Toyota Tundra, which I love. The BMW is a fun sports car, even though it's quite heavy because it's a convertible so there is added support through-out the car. The Audi is great during winter and longer road trips because it's much more comfortable, but is more expensive to fix. The truck is most excellent to have here in Texas, where 75% of vehicles are trucks.

Go with the Impreza. You'll have more fun, and they know what they are doing with their cars.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Subaru Impreza WRX all the way. My first 2 cars were Subaru's and even though they were ancient, they were great.

Since if I recall right you live in the Plano-ish area, there are plenty of places to have fun with the WRX's offroad and RS offerings.

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
@Jackal Thanks for the info! I am only 5'4" so the 370z won't be a problem if I go for it :) I plan on trading it in once I find a good trade in value and deal on a new ride. But if you are really interested the quick specs are that it is a stock TC, 5 speed manual transimission, brand new tires added recently, recent oil change and tune up done, right now it is at around 70,100 miles, and it rocks a Decepticon sticker on the back! There are few dings and scratches but overall in good condition, I need to clean up the interior though...

As for price the current trade in value on blue book is between 7500-9000, I'd like it to go for the highest value of 9000 as it is in pretty good shape ( and to help my future down payment) but I am open to talk more once I finalize what my new ride plans are and when I plan to buy it (hopefully within in the next month or so) We can talk more later if you are interested.

But it seems the BUF community is behind the Impreza (which I may get in blue or black) Thanks for the great feedback everyone.

Last edited:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
70k miles is NOT high mileage for a modern car. More in the range of 150-200k miles. Also, never judge a car by how many miles are actually on it; the much more important factor is how well that car was maintained and how the car was driven over those miles. Mileage is NOT a reliable method to judge how mechanically sound a car is.

The best way to judge an engine is visual and aural inspection. Look at the engine from all possible angles (including under the car, if possible) and check for rust, leaks, and smoke coming from places it shouldn't. Leaks will usually be at the front of the engine (pump gaskets, front main seal) at the rear of the engine (rear main seal) or the top of the engine (valve cover, cylinder head gaskets) and at the sides of the engine (exhaust manifold gaskets, etc.) Listen to the engine with the hood open at both idle and at ~50% throttle. It should sound smooth, relatively quiet, and exhibit little-to-no visible vibration through all RPM ranges.

Transmission and driveline components go into account as well. If there is grinding or slipping while driving it means something is on it's way out (gears, differentials.) If certain gears are hard to shift into on a manual, it's a red flag (synchronizers are probably worn.) Any of these things will eventually require rebuild/replacement of the driveline component.

Just some things to keep in mind, is all.

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Well it's a Scion, so it can be looked at as a Toyota since iirc it's still part of the same company as far as saleability and reliability are concerned.

Like DarkEd said, 70k really isn't that high at all anymore. But I do know that once you get that new car feeling, you won't be satisfied until you get one. :p