Recruiting For Warhammer 40k Mod

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

chuckl3_h0und

Sep 6, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Visit site
The following positions on the above project are still open, if you're interested send an email to the address below and sum up in 100 words or less, why you should get the post. Experience is important, although we will be happy to allow those on who are just starting, knowledge of the Warhammer game and universe is important but not essential. Also if you have examples of your work then send screenshot LINKS.

The following posts are available:

2 Coders, requiring knowledge of Unreal script and the ability to code gametypes, weapons and character types.

1 Modeller with a good knowledge of either 3ds max, maya or anything else i may have forgotten.

3 Mappers, in order to qualify for this post i will need a SMALL example of previous work eg a skirmish map, or some detailed interior work. It doesnt have to be anything complex or finished.

1 PR/ Advertising person, preferabley with links to well known websites, but anyone who can spread the word is good.

I realise the current situation is that 40k mods seem to die a death, and i am by no measure guaranteeing that this wont do any better, put simply the previous projects have died due to poor coordination and the tendency for members to shirk off.
As such, there will be the need for all members to be available for meetings on irc/ messenger or whatever common program we have. Logs will be made available, but we need people who can at least output at a comfortable rate, im not asking for paid quality (my bank account wont accept that), all im saying is that the plan is to have an early beta within the end of the year.

To contact me just send an email to chuckl3_h0und@[removethis]hotmail.com

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
There is a reason all the 40k mods die.

Copyrights.

You need explicit permission from the copyright holders of WH40K before you can go out making a mod based on it, and/or using its IP (Intellectual Property).

Unless you like C&D orders, I suggest you get permission first, and THEN consider building a team, since most cases end in a refusal.

P4p3Rc1iP

Unreal Speed Member :)
Sep 29, 2003
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Visit site
IFthat's the reason, i (might) have the solution.

as far as i know, when something isnt created to make money, i think there is no problem using the names, logos, etc.

if ^^^^^^ wont fit, use vvvvvvv

plan A.: ask Games Workshop (copyright holder) for premision. (i think you could think of that too:p)

plan B.: incase plan a doesnt work. Change names, logos and other copyrighted things (ie: name the mod Unreal 40k, use "orcs" instead of "orks", name a weapon a "heavy molter" instead of "heavy bolter", etc.)

btw chuckl3_h0und, u got mail

Last edited:

JamesKilton

UA Coder
Oct 6, 2002
Everywhere and Nowhere
Visit site
Problem: Games Workshop seems to be very VERY anal about giving such permission, and I would bet that even having a 40k-like mod would be enough. It's not like changing the spelling is going to fool anybody. If I were you, I'd find out before you try to build a team, cause i'm sure it's not fun being given a 'cease and desist' order.

P4p3Rc1iP

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
i know how it feels... i wanted to start a worms mod for BF but we got nailed by team 17 becouse worms 3d is about to be released (i bet they thought our mod would be better than there game :p ) though its a bit strange becouse there is a worms mod for half life...

also, i have heard there is a warhammer 40k mod for half life too... so... err...

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
P4p3Rc1iP said:
use "orcs" instead of "orks

You've got a problem there straight away :) Warhammer fantasy stuff uses Orc, while their future stuff (WH40K etc) uses Ork. Orc is a universal thing though and as such has no particular copyright on it (Ork is a more specific spelling that GW quite possibly hold a copyright on.....).

P4p3Rc1iP

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
ChainsawMonkey said:
You've got a problem there straight away :) Warhammer fantasy stuff uses Orc, while their future stuff (WH40K etc) uses Ork. Orc is a universal thing though and as such has no particular copyright on it (Ork is a more specific spelling that GW quite possibly hold a copyright on.....).
i know :p

Ya, I noticed this when I posted last: the thread is old and the author of it has yet to show up again, so let's leave it be.[/quoute] what ChainsawMonkey said :p