DM-Phatman UT2004. An insite exclusive!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Corion

Reviewer Dude ... Guy
Apr 18, 2004
Houston, TX
It would probably be best to embed the bot stuff inside your level, and also to release it separately on your website for other people to stick in theirs. That way you'll never have to worry about making sure they have the file or if you update the file to include more bot intelligence upgrades. Did you say you'd gotten the bots to lift-jump? If not, it'd probably be best to try to add that to the file before you release it so it draws more publicity. Maybe you could even enter it into Phase3 of MSU or turn it into a full-blown bot intelligence upgrade "addon" project - so that people can stick it in their levels and write a line in the credits that says "Includes the BotSmarts mods v1.23 by Barballs". (You could start a website just for it and get a team together that tries to get bots to do new and more human-like things, like jumping around more often whilst fighting). Never put limits on ideas :0)

EDIT: It would be really cool to also make some sort of mutator that would work with the existing levels to get them to be smarter on the levels that don't/wouldn't have the intelligence upgrade in them.

I would also like to say I can't wait to see this level when its lighting and static mesh implementations are done. ^_^ If those walls are stucco (which I wasn't sure when I said they looked like stucco and still am not) then you could have a lil bit of it peeled/fallen off with the brick showing underneath to add some interest. To add a little interest to the flak and link rooms, you could add a small platform or indent in the floor either under or around the weapon, or possibly some support beams or platforms above the main area (which you could jump or dodge-jump to from the catwalk).

If I think of anything else, you can bet that I'll write a paragraph on it here. ;)

Last edited:

barballs

Packed with Unreal goodness
May 3, 2003
Arizona
www.redbrick.dcu.ie
Lol ur just full of ideas dude! I love it, keep it up! :)

Corion said:
It would probably be best to embed the bot stuff inside your level, and also to release it separately on your website for other people to stick in theirs.

Yes that was the plan but I need to learn how to add UC files into myLevel package. I don't have a clue how to do that :) Releasing it seperatly on the website will be done when I have it properly configured and looking good! :)

Corion said:
Did you say you'd gotten the bots to lift-jump? If not, it'd probably be best to try to add that to the file before you release it so it draws more publicity.

Bots already have native support for lift jumping and they can do that. My aim would be to have the bots be able to boost jump around the level. and some already do in the main area of the level. Actually there is an idea I've been meaning to try out for some time now with that in mind. Will try it tonight.

Corion said:
Maybe you could even enter it into Phase3 of MSU or turn it into a full-blown bot intelligence upgrade "addon" project

I wish! Unfortunatly I am not THAT good a coder yet ;) But you have gotten me thinking of possibilities

Corion said:
It would be really cool to also make some sort of mutator that would work with the existing levels to get them to be smarter

Its been done for UT2003, called Super Bots. The last version I am aware of is 2.2. I'm VERY interested in working on a "better bots" project because they have so much potential. We'll see what is cooked up with this map first :)

With regards to the flak and link rooms, they haven't been touched eyecandy-wise yet. Will be sure to keep you up dated.

RedPill

Jun 22, 2004
redpill2034.tripod.com
Yes that was the plan but I need to learn how to add UC files into myLevel package. I don't have a clue how to do that Releasing it seperatly on the website will be done when I have it properly configured and looking good!

try this in unreal ed with your level open of course

obj load file=yourscript.u package=MyLevel

goodluck

barballs

Packed with Unreal goodness
May 3, 2003
Arizona
www.redbrick.dcu.ie
Thanks I'll try that.

Well After a long break away from this map I'm finally gonna just dig in and finish it off. At this point I just want it finished so I can move on to the next map. prepare for this map to change in drastic ways!! :D