Left 4 Dead

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
I will probably be alone with this opinion, but after just having played this at a mates house, I think this game is absolute turd.
Feels like little more than a CS:S mod to me. Single player is just pants, that goes without saying but I felt the MP only added a little more enjoyment.

I'm quite surprised at this game being full priced (I bet if someone bought this looking for a good SP experience they're pretty pissed right about now).
I feel like I got almost the same thing in 'zombie mode' with CoD 5... there's really little difference between the two as far as I can tell.

I was expecting a little more after reading all the hype and all this game is in my opinion, is a glorified version of invasion :p with MP.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I will probably be alone with this opinion, but after just having played this at a mates house, I think this game is absolute turd.
Feels like little more than a CS:S mod to me. Single player is just pants, that goes without saying but I felt the MP only added a little more enjoyment.

I'm quite surprised at this game being full priced (I bet if someone bought this looking for a good SP experience they're pretty pissed right about now).
I feel like I got almost the same thing in 'zombie mode' with CoD 5... there's really little difference between the two as far as I can tell.

I was expecting a little more after reading all the hype and all this game is in my opinion, is a glorified version of invasion :p with MP.

Hater hater masturbater :mad:

Last edited:

Kaleena

Unregistered User
Feb 17, 2008

I feel like I got almost the same thing in 'zombie mode' with CoD 5... there's really little difference between the two as far as I can tell. [...]

wat, you can't play as a zombie in COD5 AFAIK. And why do people expect something about the SP :eek: it's meant to be a coop/versus game goddamnit.
I'm myself not a zombie fan at all, and I don't like zombie movies and sh*t, yet I still have a lot of fun with the game. So I guess this shows how the game isn't crap. If you're a SP player, yeah don't buy it, it would be quite a waste. But if you want some coop or versus action with a few good friends, then go for it D:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Gotta love Youtube videos that aren't videos :con:

Also, CoD5 is pretty sloppy, so maybe your idea of a good game is flipped turned upside down and I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there, I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called bel air.

Aaaaaaanyway, CoD5 MP feels really sloppy and horrible, L4D has really tight gameplay and rewards people for playing the game the way it's meant to be played.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
The zombies theme has little to nothing to do about what makes L4D fun. It's all about the coop and versus mechanics. I haven't had this type of edge-of-seat experience in a long long time.

Last edited:

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
Only Steam knows for sure...

l4d2copy.jpg

l4d1copy.jpg

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Hater hater masturbater :mad:

STFU FAGGOT U **** :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

He's right though for the MOD thing, the footstep sounds are the same as CS:S, so just from this simple fact it does feel like a MOD, and you pay a full price for the package. I mean, come on, CS:S footstep sounds... like 5 Years hearing the same ****ing Step sounds in a late 2008 game. Just this little factor could pull me off this game. No, I haven't played it, but I watched a couple of videos here and there.

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
What I love most about this game is messing with the console commands when hosting a LAN server.

some examples:

z_spawn Tank/Witch/Smoker/Boomer/Hunter. Bind that to a button and you're set to give your teammates a nasty surprise;)

director_panic_forever 1
coupled with
director_force_panic_event.

This will trigger an endless rush of zombies until you reach the safehouse:D

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
It's quite fun, yes;)
You could also go for the more subtle variation, and increase z_mob_maximum_scale (I think?)
and
z_mega_mob_size (default is 50, still doesn't crash at 120)

Trigger one of those events when in interior spaces and you will need a LOT of autoshotguns to survive;) Also gives a great effect when used with pipebombs:p

Btw, does anyone know the console command to switch a server to versus mode? I'm getting a bit tired of having to shutdown the server, booting everyone out, then restarting from the menu and entering all the config commands again..

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I'm really starting to like hunter lately, once I figured out you can walljump (just look away from the surface and pounce) and get pretty high initial pounce damages by jumping from rooftops and stuff. My highest so far is 27, which is quite a bit considering the horde only hits for 1 in versus, and each hunter "maul tick" is 5.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
I played the demo when it was available. The game has some good things about it technically, but mindlessly shooting zombie swarms non-stop for hours on end sounds pretty monotonous to me. I wouldn't pay 5 bucks for it.

:Poop:

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
But that's not how it works. There are heaps of mechanics to throw spanners into your gears. Shooting the vanilla horde zombies is just filler.

Edit: Here's a pretty generic example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-9UBOEylfo

I don't feel it's just "running around shooting zombies" at all. It's all really tactical and interesting.

Last edited: