CoD 4 Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
I find it funny how they balance guns in these shooter games. In real life the M14 is a top notch gun.

Yeah, in real life its performance is very similar to the G3, given the choice between the two, i would pick the G3 only because its a bit lighter than the M14, nothing else.

And its the same bloody gun as the M21, sure the M21 is slightly more accurate because it has a hand picked barrel, but they should hit with identical force.

But the CoD series have never been simulators, they just aim for "real enough" to give people the feeling that they are playing as a soldier, nothing more, and balance is definately something they value higher than realism (though i am unsure why they felt the M14 had to be worse than the G3, considdering their near identical specs, its not like it has a bigger magazine or anything else like that).

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Which most games that expect to sell good amount should.

A game, yes, a simulator, no.

CoD is what it is, and thats fine, there's obviously a market for it, i just wish people and reviewers would finally stop claiming it has "unparalleled realism!" and the like, its rather.. misleading to put it nicely.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
And then subsequently break that "realism" illusion when someone like me sprints and jumps and crouches midair to make it out a window then lands on flat on my stomach whilst shooting instant-hit bullets without any inaccuracy penalty. :)

CoD4 isn't realistic enough to be played realistically, IMO, so I don't bother. I like all the action and the unrealistic movement and gameplay. But then I also stay out of overcrowded servers because there's no skill or fun in constant grenade spam, countless claymores, and camping around corners for someone to walk by.

If the game were simply another slow bullet shooter I wouldn't ever have gotten into it. I did play a "no run, no spam" hardcore server for a couple weeks, but it got old after the initial, "Ooh, this is different!" feeling washed away. CoD4's craziness makes it more unique and interesting than people realize.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
CoD4 isn't realistic enough to be played realistically, IMO, so I don't bother. I like all the action and the unrealistic movement and gameplay. But then I also stay out of overcrowded servers because there's no skill or fun in constant grenade spam, countless claymores, and camping around corners for someone to walk by.

If the game were simply another slow bullet shooter I wouldn't ever have gotten into it. I did play a "no run, no spam" hardcore server for a couple weeks, but it got old after the initial, "Ooh, this is different!" feeling washed away. CoD4's craziness makes it more unique and interesting than people realize.
Once again you have taken the words right out of my mouth :}

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
"No-run-unless-being-shot" servers has this childish "Bang bang you're dead otherwise you're not my friend anymore" feel to it.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Yeah, like I said it's not for everyone. But when I read those strats about where to blind-throw grenades as soon as you spawn and then where to sprint first... it just reminded me why I don't like to play that kind of COD4 game.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Nade spaming doesn't occur when I play on low player count servers. Unless you're playing Shipment, Killhouse or Wetwork, "Blind-throwing grenades as soon as you spawn" don't happen much to my personal experience.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Yeah, like I said it's not for everyone. But when I read those strats about where to blind-throw grenades as soon as you spawn and then where to sprint first... it just reminded me why I don't like to play that kind of COD4 game.
That's mostly for S&D. A well-timed grenade can totally eff the other team's chance of doing anything worthwhile that round. S&D is very predictable from the start of each round and around the bombs -- it's the only gametype that people make actual strats for. Some maps are worse than others -- Vacant, for instance, gives you literally two ways to go. Overall, TDM's spawning is far too random for that kind of bollocks... after the first, at least. All I play is TDM (with HQ thrown in randomly if it comes up) and I don't have any strats beyond basic knowledge of how people tend to play each map.

Some part of a video I saw had a guy kill all five of the enemies with a single 'nade on Crash S&D. Twas quite hilarious.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Eh, games like the CoD and MoH series clearly has a following, and thats fine by me, if people enjoy it i think they should play it, im just really tired of people claiming they are the "most real EVARRR!", it has become a pet peeve of mine since i'm a bipolar realism gamer (IE: give me blatant fantasy/Sci-Fi with no pretenses of realism, or give me a simulator, all this inbetween stuff does nothing for me), and it gets pretty tedious to wade through countless games and mods, all claimed to be the "most real EVARRR!" to find the very few that i can actually enjoy for their realism..

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
I love getting kills with prenades :} I remember the first time I found out about a good one from a pro SnD demo. The first time I tried it on a TDM server I got 3 kills with it.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2004
Man, my aiming is so lazy! i know i am missing but i go with it anyway, instead of trying. Like every other game i play, so lazy. Only a few times do i actually seem to "try" and aim then just go with the flow. I died so many times because i slacked off on my aiming.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Starting to get bored of the same stuff over and over again here, I hope the next COD delivers.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I heard rumors that they intended to do a Washington/NYC war theme, with most probable vehikals levels. I don't really give a damn, there's going to be server options to remove them entirely in each map. If they can listen to their community for balance, the game will be good.

Mar 6, 2004
Oh god PLEASE NO VEHICLES!!!!! cod5 was lame with them.

Yo pull over
*drives away*
*shoots and blows up car*
Idiot
STFU i told you to pull over
*the 2 get in vehicles*
*more cussing*
*road rage*
*both players tk eachother in the vehicles*
you suck noob
f you
step out of the vehicle and tell me it to my face!
*gets out and shoots his tires*
WTF!!! WTB tires! PST to Noob4lyfe

Mar 6, 2004
Hells yeah my first cod4 25 kill streak. I was camping alittle though. Showdown, i finished 59-18. I been getting 1.5-2.0+ kills compared to deaths all night. I'm trying positioning out, and crawling on the ground.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Hells yeah my first cod4 25 kill streak. I was camping alittle though.

I still remeber my firs 7 kill streak after 1 week i played the game. :D
Go it with a P90 I picked up on the ground, then I went "Okay, this gun is a ****ing casual material"