Trying to pick a new game. Proving difficult.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Alright, here's the skinny: My mother has an Amazon Kindle with Special Offers, and one of the special offers she received recently was $10 off any non-downloaded game (side note: She gets a bunch of great offers, like discounted gift cards, freebies, etc through it, so if you've been considering a Kindle, get the one with special offers).

Anyway, I'm not as big of a gamer as I used to be. With a day job and a new blues album to finish, I just don't keep up with the industry. I rarely buy games when they come out, the exceptions being Minecraft (well, I've been playing since alpha) and DNF. Trolling through Amazon's thousands of listings for 4*+ rating games is taking quite a while, and some of the games I've never even heard of.

So, if you've got any good recommendations for games, let me know. I don't typically play anything that I can't quit out of in a moment's notice and be able to pick up relatively close to where I left off, because of my day job (24/7 on call systems manager). I was looking at Dragon Age: Origins (with all the expansion/addon stuff), since I haven't played a good RPG in a while. Also looking at ArmA II. Here's the games I've played recently (within the past year):

Minecraft
DNF
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (bad-ass game)
Star Trek Online

It doesn't have to be a new game, either, as long as it runs on Windows 7 (or runs well on an XP laptop with integrated Intel graphics). My desktop machine isn't super beefy, but it handles most games.

Other games I've enjoyed over the years:
Battlefield 2
Asheron's Call
Baldur's Gate series
Infiltration (UT mod)
Fallout 3
Oblivion & Morrowind

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I'd recommend The Witcher 2. There's a lot I don't like about it, but at the same time it's really awesome. Probably the best graphics on PC right now. The environments are jaw droppingly gorgeous. And there's lots of violence, sex, and full out nudity. Even sex with elven women, which I think might be considered beastiality, but I'm ok with that. She was hot. :p

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I'll also say Witcher 2.
it's pretty bad ass to be sure.

if you're thinking about Dragon Age and its expansions, go for it.
it's easily one of the best RPG's to date.

also try Mass Effect 2, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, and Fallout New Vegas.
you mentioned ARMA 2, but I hope you know what you're getting into with a game like that. it's ultra realistic. this can really piss you off if you're not prepared for that.

but if you're like me, and you drool over realism and the challenge that presents, you might just love it. it also comes with a comprehensive mission editor. it'll keep you busy for a long time, because like Operation Flashpoint (ARMA's predecessor), there's a HUGE mod community constantly pumping out new content to play with.

Last edited:

YouAreTheOrigin

I married jane.
Jan 26, 2011
If you've enjoyed playing games like Fallout 3 then you might want to give the Stalker series a go too and while you're at it you might even wanna play Far Cry 2 (for a while at least).

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
don't listen to him :p

Fallout Uno y Dos are painfully boring if you're playing them for the first time in 2011 with no real interest in the nostalgia factor or Fallout backstory. it's like the only reason someone would play Diablo today is because they have a soft spot for it in their memories.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
don't listen to him :p

Fallout Uno y Dos are painfully boring if you're playing them for the first time in 2011 with no real interest in the nostalgia factor or Fallout backstory. it's like the only reason someone would play Diablo today is because they have a soft spot for it in their memories.

Did you not see Baldur's Gate in the quote? If he liked that he should also like Fallout 1 and 2. Also it has nothing to do with nostalgia. Fallout 1 2 and Diablo are amazing and unique games. How could you say something like that? :con:

If they are boring then games today people must sleep through. :lol:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Says the guy who installed Titan Quest/Immortal throne...

lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Most of the characters from the first game are also in Witcher 2 but the story is not really based on the first game so it is not required.

Battlefield 3 should be decent but it isn't out yet.

I'm also having hopes for Nexuiz, could be a decent arena shooter when it comes out.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
I've got Mafia 1, didn't like it at all.

I'm really excited about BF3, but I'm not sure my system is beefy enough to handle it.

So far, my serious considerations after watching gameplay and reading reviews are Dragon Age: Origins, and The Witcher 2. A nice RPG wouldn't be bad.

Also, I guess I should note that I love turn-based RPGs and whatnot.