Epic has problems with dates

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Selerox said:
Talk to any marketing person anywhere and they'll tell you that names matter.

Epic's naming choice for this game is pretty terrible. They say they want to push the game forward into new territories, yet they use a name that will tie the game back directly to the failed UT2003/UT2004. People outside of the UT community are already writing off UT2007 as "more of the same", despite the evidence to the contrary.
but it *is* more of the same.
It is bloody unlikely that someone is suddenly going to like UT because UT is what it is and it always will be, unless they do to UT what GTA3 did for GTA-series ...

So show me the evidence that says it won't be anything other than a simple sequel with slightly better graphics, because it's been more like "going back to the roots" whenever UT2k7's major features are summed up.

That wouldn't happen (at least to the extent that it is at the moment) if the name was UT4 for example. ...
It still would be a sequel ... which always means 'more of the same'

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Misunderstanding and Clarification

By "more of the same" I mean carbon copy gameplay that's exactly the same as UT2003/4. The same gameplay that put off a lot of people, both inside the UT community and outside of it.

By the sounds of it, UT2007 will have very different gameplay, which will be closer to UT99. However, due to the name, lots of people still assume that the gameplay will be close to, or the same as, UT2003/4.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
shadow_dragon said:
If you simple say UT or Uneal Tournament it doesn't automatically mean the frist UT at all, in many cases it represents the whole franchise of Unreal Tournament hence why people will say 2003/2004 or 2k3/2k4 and thus why UT99 came up, because when people were debating specific elements of gameplay over the whole hsitory fo Unreal Tournament it was necesary to specify.

I know. It can create confusion. But I would've preferred people using UT1, instead of the retarded Ut99.
*Shrug* Too late now =)

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Selerox said:
By "more of the same" I mean carbon copy gameplay that's exactly the same as UT2003/4. The same gameplay that put off a lot of people, both inside the UT community and outside of it.

By the sounds of it, UT2007 will have very different gameplay, which will be closer to UT99. However, due to the name, lots of people still assume that the gameplay will be close to, or the same as, UT2003/4.
Skipping years will also prevent new buyers from thinking they're getting just another sequel of dozens.

Think of it this way -- would you prefer to play UnrealTournament2021 or UnrealTournament32?

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
JaFo, people are shallow, Epic needs to make people give a second look. It's really bad from a marketing perspective, cuz you need a title that will make people look twice, if it's called ut2k7 then people will just think "ah watever I didn't like 2k4 so I'm prolly not gonna like this one either", and then proceed to walk down the aisle to find another game they like, such as BF3 or summin (missed opportunity). Now say if it's something like UT3, or anything that sounds different and good, they might give a second look... "hmm new name, sounds interesting", *looks at the back of the box and checks whats new*, finds out its real awesome, and there ya go, $$$ + 1 more player in the community. I can guarantee you (99.9% sure) that naming it UT2k7 means lost sales and less players (minor or major, still lost sales). I think Epic has no marketing experts really.

EDIT: Damn, that's extremely sad, back in the days when it was called Envy, I was like "hmm can't wait to hear about the cool new name they're giving this game, no more crappy sports yearly naming convention", and what a disappointment. Epic is sad. :( I don't understand how Epic can be dumber than it's community sometimes.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Olga said:
It wasn't a 1999, it was just Unreal Tournament. UT2003 was released in 2002 and UT2004 was released in 2003.

Ehhh WRONG
UT2k4 was released March of 2004 sweetums.

And am I imagining things, or did Epic say that the "Unreal Tournament 2007" name was just a temporary name?? If its so temporary, how come they havent come out and said anything otherwise? Also if its going to be a ps3 launch title, they have what 6 more months(if spring 2006 is still on track) to come up with a new name.

BAH!!

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Selerox said:

You and I and all the hardcore UT-fans may see the 'different' gameplay, but the non-UT fans won't see it.
It won't matter much what name it is if the core feature-list still is the same (futuristic, hectic, arcade, DM, CTF, item/inventory-based gameplay).

BF2 pretty much showed that you can sell the same game twice provided people like what is offered and there's a marketing-campaign to match.

UT's genre is a niche (sp?) at best and I seriously doubt that even EA could market it in a way that it would be another hit unless Epic really does re-imagine/re-invent UT. And from what I've seen/heard it doesn't look like Epic will do what is needed most and turn it into BF:Unreal Warfare-edition ...

And think for a moment : what did CoD2 in multiplayer that made people run out and buy it at all ?

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
I disagree.

JaFO said:
YAnd from what I've seen/heard it doesn't look like Epic will do what is needed most and turn it into BF:Unreal Warfare-edition ...

If they do that, then it's not UT, it's just another game.

As for marketing, I really don't think Epic has the balls to take the game and market it to the scale that the game needs. Everyone knows the Quake name, even if they don't play it (or have never played it). UT doesn't have that brand image, and it's a niche game because it's just not had the publicity to make it something other than that. Review scores don't make commercial or online sucesses, marketing does.

I'm fairly confident that Epic won't **** up UT4, but I'm not confident that Epic or Midway will market it to the level that the game needs.

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
The only reason why Epic named the game UT2007 is that most people will still play it way passed 2006 and throughout 2007 and beyond!

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Seen any ads for games published by their publisher lately (or at all) ?
No ? I thought so.

I seriously doubt Midway has the power/money to the kind of thing that would be required to make the UT-brand known outside the UT-community.

If they do that, then it's not UT, it's just another game.
Time to wake up boy, because that's what it already *is*
Epic is lucky that there are enough fans left to run the few servers and websites that are out there, because any other brand/game would have been dead and buried by now.

Uh oh! I said UT2004 came out in 2003 and not 2004! I fail! I thought it did come out in 2003, probably just bad memory.

Maybe if they change the name, and then give it box art that reflects the original UT, the people who played UT and liked it but not 2004 will buy it.

stas

Oct 18, 2005
NeoNite said:
I know. It can create confusion. But I would've preferred people using UT1, instead of the retarded Ut99.
*Shrug* Too late now =)
nah lol if u check some reviews even epic guys say ut99 :)
And why not UT2007??Sound's very futuristic, everybody talks about UE3 (thanks to nvidia),everybody talks about ut2007 to be ps3 launch title and if it will be...erm every1 who buys a ps3 will own it so = tonnnnnss of 1337 play0rz and no d1rty pc a1mboters