placeable relics?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarkBarrage99

Jun 19, 2010
east coast
I've been wondering if there is a method or mod out there that enables placement of relics in UEd? I tried it just now to see what would happen, when I placed the relic it didn't show up in the editor, but it did show up when I loaded up the map in UT. I couldn't change any properties, and so the relic was only dropped on death and did not respawn.

I'd love to add some of the relics to some ctf maps, but make them work similarly to the power-ups in Quake 3 team arena maps. it would balance gameplay a bit more and be more interesting than just throwing on the standard mutators. I imagine this must have been done before.

thoughts, comments or answers appreciated! :D thanks

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
The relic by it's nature will move even if you place it. After 30 seconds it will warp around the map.

If you wanted a placeable set I could whip them up. They would never move then.

DarkBarrage99

Jun 19, 2010
east coast
thanks for the reply gopostal, that would be awesome!

for the sake of mentioning, the thing is that the relics I placed did not jump around the map at all. they stayed in one place. i'd pick the relic up and suicide somewhere on the map, dropping the relic, and the relic would just stay there, never going away or appearing anywhere else. redemption would just dissappear entirely from the game. to fix these problems, I imagine that I would need to manage the actor's properties, that is if the Actor itself would appear in UEd. if you can whip something up that enables all of this it would be perfect. ;)

Last edited:

DarkBarrage99

Jun 19, 2010
east coast
well i figured out i'm supposed to use the info actor, not the inventory actor, but those indeed jump around the map. lol @_@

let me know if you get around to making that placeable set ;)

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
Remove SetTimer from PostBeginPlay and in SpawnRelic function remove all except two lines below // Spawn it here.
Last thing you need is spawn location - write new relics pickup, where you can choose an relic from array list and in PostBeginPlay spawn that relic.

Last edited:

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
I'm going to make a full placeable set but today is a chemo day so it will be tomorrow before I feel up to it. I have all the stuff ready though.

DarkBarrage99

Jun 19, 2010
east coast
gopostal, and progress on those placable relics?

Remove SetTimer from PostBeginPlay and in SpawnRelic function remove all except two lines below // Spawn it here.
Last thing you need is spawn location - write new relics pickup, where you can choose an relic from array list and in PostBeginPlay spawn that relic.

tried screwing around with this in unrealed, but ultimately, I don't exactly know what im doing lol >.<

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
You should use some IDE to write the code not UE

I do not promise anything, but I'll see what I can do...

Last edited:

DarkBarrage99

Jun 19, 2010
east coast
thing is i'm no coder, not too certain on how to write up a pickup, if i did I wouldn't be asking for help >_<

if you can figure somethin out that would definitely be cool :D

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Sorry bro, this is a rough patch for me right now. I'm not doing much of anything ATM, the radiation and chemo is kicking my ass pretty hard. I know it's not much use to you but when I get feeling more like playtesting, etc I'll get this done. Hope you understand.