News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Tournament Series > Unreal Tournament

Old 9th Jul 2012, 05:15 PM   #1
evilgrins
God of Fudge

STOP HITTING YOURSELF!

I never really played Unreal1, so I don't know if it ever happened with that. What I do know is it does happen in ut99 fairly often.

Skaarj slashing at nothing and damaging themselves.

I don't know what starts it but they keep doing it until they're dead. I don't know that I've seen any of the other monsters do this, just the Skaarj.

Both the Skaarj military and the Skaarj with the claws.

Thoughts?
evilgrins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2012, 08:02 PM   #2
gopostal

You've summoned an unskinned monster or something that isn't a complete set within your game.

Play the same map and run it under my MH2 mod. I'll bet you see a health overlay hovering an invisible monster of some type.
gopostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2012, 11:51 PM   #3
Glider of chaos
Ready 2 Fight !

I think it's actually triggered by falling damage as it's considered "selfdamage"
Old 10th Jul 2012, 01:14 AM   #4
evilgrins
God of Fudge

Noticed something else recently. The Skaarj hurting itself, in this case the gold one, is regarded by all other Skaarj as a threat. They start trying to kill it while it keeps trying to kill itself:
Old 10th Jul 2012, 01:15 AM   #5
evilgrins
God of Fudge

I'm not sure if that'd work

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopostal View Post
Play the same map and run it under my MH2 mod. I'll bet you see a health overlay hovering an invisible monster of some type.
It isn't a MonsterHunt map, it's Deathmatch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider of chaos View Post
I think it's actually triggered by falling damage as it's considered "selfdamage"
Why would "falling damage" make a Skaarj go all melee on the thin air?

Last edited by evilgrins; 10th Jul 2012 at 01:15 AM. Reason: added something
Old 10th Jul 2012, 07:54 AM   #6
gopostal

You can force load the MH2 controller on any gametype. I used to run a demo DM server that had it running on it.

This has nothing to do with falling and monsters cannot melee damage themselves.
Old 10th Jul 2012, 10:03 AM   #7
evilgrins
God of Fudge

O RLY?

Quote:
monsters cannot melee damage themselves.
Oh but they can. I've seen them do this up to the point they die from doing melee at... nothing and then kill themselves.

Only reason the ones in the screenshots didn't die so fast is they've got maxed out health to deal with people firing redeemers at them.
Old 10th Jul 2012, 10:29 PM   #8
gopostal

No, they can't.

Why am I even bothering to keep debating this with you? It's not like I'm shooting from the hip and I've never cracked open monster code. Base monster code prevents self melee damage so if it happens in any form then it's because some idiot coder turned it all off. It's not ever going to happen with default monsters, period.
Old 10th Jul 2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Jacks:Revenge
╠╣E╚╚O

Quote:
Why am I even bothering to keep debating this with you? It's not like I'm shooting from the hip and I've never cracked open monster code.
oh snap!

gopostal scores a critical hit against evilgrins.
it's super effective!
Old 10th Jul 2012, 10:51 PM   #10
evilgrins
God of Fudge

not as such

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks:SmirkingRevenge View Post
oh snap!

gopostal scores a critical hit against evilgrins.
it's super effective!
I'm not trying to win anything here and he's saying something can't happen which actually does happen with normal monsters. He can say that as much as he likes but these are the normal Skaarj that come with the game, despite what skins I put on them.

They do melee against nothing and they do, eventually, kill themselves.

I've got no reason to make this up. I just want to know why they do it in the first place.
Quote:
No, they can't.

Base monster code prevents self melee damage so if it happens in any form then it's because some idiot coder turned it all off. It's not ever going to happen with default monsters, period.
These are normal Skaarj. Taken from Unreali.u and the only thing I did to them is change their skins and turn off their projectiles. Long before I edited maps at all, straight up just summoning them from Unreali, long before any monster mutators existed, I ran into this same issue.

So, yeah, they can. Don't believe me, that's up to you. If you can't tell me why they do this then you're not contributing anything helpful repeatedly saying they can't do something they clearly are doing.

Last edited by evilgrins; 10th Jul 2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: added something
Old 11th Jul 2012, 02:35 AM   #11
UBerserker
old EPIC GAMES

This is a really known SetEnemy bug. Can also happen in bad scripted events (and often if you load a map with a different gametype instead the default one).
Don't really know how to fix it but Step 1 is making a new pawn and Step 2 should be about fixing the problem.

All Skaarj Troopers, all Skaarj Warriors and Mercenaries do that.
[09:52:48] <Specineff> Area man gains z axis, becomes volume man, won't stop yelling

Last edited by UBerserker; 11th Jul 2012 at 02:41 AM.
UBerserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2012, 07:02 AM   #12
gopostal

I've run MH servers for years and never once have I seen this and I have logged specifically watching monster damage. No other MH admin has ever brought this up and aside from the OldUnreal thread I've never seen it referenced.

Fixing SetEnemy was one of the first things I ever did for MH because of the various problems inherit in the way the code is designed. However it might have been pretty damn helpful grins if you would have mentioned that you were forcing this stuff on non-supported gametypes. Is it any wonder that forcing things causes problems?

Scripted pawns were not designed to be used in DM maps. That's why they score like a regular player kill among a number of other immediate and severe problems. Use the monsters like the community has modded the gametypes for and you won't keep seeing things like this.
Old 11th Jul 2012, 10:29 AM   #13
evilgrins
God of Fudge

yeah, well...

Quote:
I've run MH servers for years and never once have I seen this and I have logged specifically watching monster damage. No other MH admin has ever brought this up and aside from the OldUnreal thread I've never seen it referenced.
That likely explains why I knew about this before MH existed, and why I'm only seeing it now on a DM map...

...although, people have been putting monsters onto DM, CTF, AS, and the other original gametypes since ut99 first came out. I've seen it happen on those too.

Last edited by evilgrins; 11th Jul 2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added
Old 12th Jul 2012, 02:24 AM   #14
medor

try http://ecoop.ucoz.com/load/utspfix/1-1-0-42

Files for UT99 utfiles All new releases and updates are listed here All news
Most popular is UnrealTournament-V3 With over 8800 visits to date.It is an optimized UT99 to download.
medor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evilgrans, more evilgrins spam, skaarj, the scares, ut being played on a toaster