News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Off Topic

Old 4th Jul 2012, 09:03 PM   #1
BillyBadAss
Strong Cock of The North

Doing some infomation collecting for work

I was asked since I'm the only non-Japanese person at the company to give a report on western internet trends. Basically popular apps for phones, new social networks, also, maybe site development trends etc. (eg. Flash is dead on mobile devices)

Anything you can offer will rewarded with the kind of kiss your grandparents would force you to give them.

When Im watching the news and my daughter walks in and choose to ask. Why were all those people on the floor, sleeping, covered in red? I told her, that they were looking for God, but found religion instead.
De La Soul

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. -Raoul Duke
BillyBadAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Thrash123
Obey Leash Laws

In my neck of the west (Hannibal, Missouri), Facebook is pretty much the de-facto standard for casual internet connections with people. Even the older crowd is finally starting to use it.

As far as phone apps go, Instagram (not too many people here use the social aspect, but mostly share on FB) is one of the most popular. Our local coffee shop has an employee that regularly hooks her phone up to the stereo system and puts on Pandora radio (Pandora is VERY popular). Spotify, too. I see a number of people utilizing Kindles, evenly split between the standard eReader and the Kindle Fire. A few iPads here and there, but the price point of the Kindle, plus Amazon's name, made it a winner around here.

On web design/development, I believe I can comment more. Flash is used by some area design firms, but not as often as it used to be. Standards compliance is still relatively unused here in the surrounding area (I'm one of the few designers who does XHTML Strict). SEO is practically non-existent, even in the news industry (which I worked in for about 6 years), and even when it is approached, it's based on dated ideas. Even the closest major metro (St. Louis) still has some catching up to do on the web end of things, based on what I've seen.
Old 5th Jul 2012, 04:20 AM   #3
Gir
Offensive mode!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBadAss View Post
I was asked since I'm the only non-Japanese person at the company to give a report on western internet trends.
And then you came here.

I can smell your ausfahrts..
bring DeeperShade
.. back to life!
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2012, 04:26 AM   #4
BillyBadAss
Strong Cock of The North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gir View Post
And then you came here.
Well, I know many of you guys work in the field, so I thought I would ask.

Show me how smart you guys are and maybe I'll show you a little something of mine.

When Im watching the news and my daughter walks in and choose to ask. Why were all those people on the floor, sleeping, covered in red? I told her, that they were looking for God, but found religion instead.
De La Soul

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. -Raoul Duke
Old 5th Jul 2012, 06:31 AM   #5
Gir
Offensive mode!

Well I don't work with this stuff, but I also have to go with Instagram. You see people post from it on Facebook all the time. Otherwise.. hm.. maybe Facebook apps? My girlfriend pretty much stopped using Facebook on her computer. She's also a Spotify Offine (downloads music to your phone) user, but I'm not quite sure how popular that is. Might not even be available in all countries.

That's really all I can tell you.

bring DeeperShade
.. back to life!
Old 5th Jul 2012, 06:44 AM   #6
Jackal
Crapass

Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2012, 07:40 AM   #7
Gir
Offensive mode!

Pretty good app, that.

bring DeeperShade
.. back to life!
Old 5th Jul 2012, 10:26 AM   #8
BillyBadAss
Strong Cock of The North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
I wonder if she ever had her asshole tongue ****ed.

De La Soul

Old 5th Jul 2012, 11:20 AM   #9
DeathBooger
Sparkle Magic

As far as apps go any free app there is so we can bitch about it like self entitled assholes when it doesn't work quite the way we want it too. We don't buy apps unless some dumb blog says it's neat.
Old 5th Jul 2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Big-Al
amateur de bire

got damn it... wanted to answer this damned thread earlier but i dont even own a smart phone. sure i have some friends who do but what's the damned point.

only use my Nokia 6300 to wake me up in the morning and at the limit to call my Brigi. But that's about it. honest. I have real PCs to use for everything else or a company phone for the business stuff. ... (live in eastern Hungary but "some" have smart phones here)

I drink moosepiss
Big-Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2012, 02:23 PM   #11
Firefly
United Kingdom is not a country.

Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2012, 06:49 PM   #12
Jackal
Crapass

I have 3 - Atrix 4G, an iPhone 3G, BlackBerry 8300.

You want one?
Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2012, 07:43 PM   #13
Jacks:Revenge
╠╣E╚╚O

I hear there's a little service that's becoming popular with the kids.

it's called Tooter. or Twatter. or something like that.
Old 6th Jul 2012, 01:16 AM   #14
Big-Al
amateur de bire

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18105992

I drink moosepiss
Big-Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2012, 03:28 AM   #15
[GU]elmur_fud
I have balls of Depleted Uranium

I see allot of people using price comparison apps and many people in the Local Asian community use some video/voice streaming chat app. I use Go SMS Pro rather then the default chat app as do allot of my family and people I know which is developed in asia.

As for the web and standards compliance or a lack there of... definitely a lack. Beyond that...Most of the websites for local businesses are ugly and look like they were designed in MS frontpage 10 years ago and then updated sparsely. I could take a picture of my ass, make the hairs interactive hyperlinks, and it would look better.
Old 7th Jul 2012, 04:08 AM   #16
cryptophreak
unbalanced

I'll speak as a Web professional about current development trends.

I'd say the largest wave we're presently experiencing is the scramble to serve a great experience across a widening variety of connected devices -- smartphones, tablets, etc. Responsive Web design is the most elegant solution and is continuing to mature and gain ground among the cool crowd. (Open http://www.smashingmagazine.com/ on a desktop operating system and resize the browser horizontally from largest to smallest to see what I mean.) The other popular method is to build mobile-only sites targeting iOS's Mobile Safari and Android's browser, or which fit within a native container e.g. Facebook's app.

I'm surprised to hear talk of XHTML Strict, because that's by no means where the Web finds itself right now. HTML5 and CSS3 have converged to give us a much nicer development toolkit than we previously had. Of course the old stuff is equally as valid as it ever was.

I'll be attending An Event Apart (http://www.aneventapart.com/) next week and might have a bit more to say following that.
cryptophreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bba despises virgins, bba discovers japanese tv, bba discovers japanese tvs