News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games

Old 25th Jun 2012, 02:28 AM   #1
rom138

Using dynamic DNS, I'm connectable, but server name won't resolve in server browser.

The game in question is Killing Floor.

Using dynamic DNS, I add the server to my favorites by it's hostname registered with no-ip.org and the server is connectable, but from the in-game server browser, it does not show any information on the server and replaces the server name with '?'

It's almost as if it won't ping. But when I connect the '?', it does successfully connect.

Is there anything special I need to do, like configure my router to respond to ping? Is this only occurring because I reside on the same network as the server?

As far as I know, all my ports are properly forwarded - the server browser one, particularly.
rom138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2012, 05:19 PM   #2
hal
Dictator

1. Try the official Killing Floor forums
2. Wrong forum - I'm moving to the Games forum.
Old 25th Jun 2012, 10:15 PM   #3
Rambowjo
Das Protoss

No-Ip is basically a second level DNS server. That is probably what is confusing the server browser. Try adding the server by local IP (its IP on the network) and see if it still behaves like that.
Old 25th Jun 2012, 10:58 PM   #4
rom138

Thanks. The official Killing Floor forums are no help, Tripwire has no official support aside from one staff member who barely ever comes around -- for advanced problems they can't answer they simply direct you to UT forums and cite that their game is simply a mod.

I realize the game uses GameSpy as a server browser (at least, I think it still does in it's current incarnation), I was wondering if other UT games do and other people have experienced this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambowjo View Post
No-Ip is basically a second level DNS server. That is probably what is confusing the server browser. Try adding the server by local IP (its IP on the network) and see if it still behaves like that.
It works fine that way, but I want a domain people can easily add without needing an IP -- my dedi is hosted at home, I'd rather not plaster my IP everywhere (yes, I realized the DNS can simply be pinged and the IP resolved, but still).
rom138 is offline   Reply With Quote