Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Mods > Infiltration > Off Topic

Old 10th Apr 2012, 06:13 PM   #1
ant75
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

what the crap is that Inf3.0 announcement about?

Not trying to be an ass here, but where is that announcement coming from ? Is this a late april fools or am i missing something ?
Seriously darkstar, i totally and wholeheartedly support any effort toward making a new game, but do you have sentry studios endorsement for this? If not, it might be a wise thing not to call it "Infiltration".
Do you plan to do this on you own? No offense again, but it might a little ambitious considering the expectations that are behind a new Inf version in the community (and considering that a whole team of coders/mappers/3D artists didn't manage to achieve it...)

And lastly, if you're serious about it, you might wanna take some community feedback before making a game called "Infiltration" and changing some key elements of gameplay (for example adding a class system when it's something that Inf has been trying to avoid all along).

That said, good luck
Old 11th Apr 2012, 10:50 AM   #2
zeep
:(

Just read it too. Roles/classes are not what inf stands for. I certainly wouldn't like that. A for effort but if you're going to change too much don't call it infiltration.
zeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2012, 04:30 PM   #3
Coop-Stogie

the roles/classes remind me of Project Reality. Not bad, but somehow not "Inf", yes
Old 20th Apr 2012, 09:46 AM   #4
tomcat ha

what did i miss something?
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Crowze
Bird Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant75 View Post
do you have sentry studios endorsement for this?
No.

*goes back into hibernation*

Infiltration | Sentry Studios
Crowze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 11:50 PM   #6
Inigo
omayoamo shindaeru

Endorsement~jeez ant I mean really. You guys are always quick to jump on that ****, bunch of angry misers.
To quote the stupid facebook movie, a guy who builds a nice chair doesn't owe money to whomever has built a chair. Now you might argue semantics to show that the case is different here--but really, it's not.

I stand by my earlier suggestion. Call it Impact Theatre.
Old 18th May 2012, 03:11 PM   #7
ant75
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yeah but to call it a chair if it doesn't have any back is stupid, why not call it a stool then. And i'm actually not that angry, i'm pretty happy that someone is developing something. Provided that it doesn't have a class system.

Nice sig btw, i don't remember saying any of this nor do i have any idea of what i meant :P
Old 19th May 2012, 08:34 AM   #8
Inigo
omayoamo shindaeru

lol yes, we were probably having an in depth philosophical discussion as usual.
I updated some stuff in SoldierPlus mutator for INF, but I have to test it online first before I release it. You probably haven't even heard of it :P
Old 19th May 2012, 03:06 PM   #9
ant75
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Still developing for Inf ? Man if you add up all the time you spent coding on UT since Inf has started being a living corpse, my guess if that it would be more than enough to have learned to code on the unreal engine 3 instead. This, is making me an angry miser. So much wasted potential... And don't tell me it's a computer thing, you must have had 3 different computers since the last time you pulled out that excuse!
Old 19th May 2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Psychomorph

Whatever the entire community has pulled off for INF since it became a "living corpse", would be just a small fraction of the effort that would be necessary to develope a new INF on a new engine.

So there is no need to be angry at anything and anybody. Also, if you think making a mod/game is as simple as that, than you might be wrong. I imagine it's a nightmare of work (if it is supposed to be worth anything), but that of course depends on the game you make. A 1st person realism tactical shooter is a nightmare full of work.
Psychomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 05:05 PM   #11
ant75
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I'm not talking about about a full game, i know better than that. I'm talking about a decent terminator mutator on a new engine. But inigo knows what i'm talking about
Old 19th May 2012, 08:46 PM   #12
Psychomorph

I am not even talking about a full game either. Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I think it's not that easy.

Do you mean a simple mutator with a gun and freeaim for a new engine? What use would it be? Noboy wants that.
Psychomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 09:07 AM   #13
Inigo
omayoamo shindaeru

NEF I've had 3 different computers since 2000 A.D.
And when Unreal Engine 3 was made available I was on my second computer which is only a single core. Granted it meets the requirements to run UDK and some UE3 games, it's rather slow to load and use the editor when a lot of objects start to crop up.
Now I'm in Korea teaching English, and the situation is thus that my uncle got me a substandard laptop that is even worse off at running the UDK editor. I mean the thing is choppy when there's absolutely empty space in the viewport. I'm actually disappointed at the optimization standards on that one. I can, however, afford a decent desktop, but it's not really practical given my current lifestyle.
So yeah, it's still a computer thing.

I've looked at some UDK stuff though back home. On the programming side, things seem easier to do. Looks like there's a lot of useful streamlined functionality that allows quick prototyping. The long part is to create all the graphics and ****, and of course to learn and get familiar with the engine.
See with INF, I'm already so comfortable with it I can just pick it up and make something unreal. Also because I'm lazy. Seriously, I recently developed an overly convoluted algorithm to generate an instantaneous beam laser; something that I'm pretty sure hasn't been done yet with the 13-year old engine. I pride myself in that achievement :P
Actually I'm thinking to look back into UT2004 again (this laptop can handle that), for the time being anyway.

A simple mutator with a gun and freeaim is a start. You can build on it and extend it to something more. It's been suggested to start humbly like that. It's like a golden rule for wouldbe game devs: don't set out to make a game. Jeez.

Last edited by Inigo; 21st May 2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: fuck the reason
Inigo is offline   Reply With Quote