News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Unreal Development > Content Releases

Old 5th May 2012, 01:56 PM   #1
xMurphyx

KF-MuskratCastle

DOWNLOAD version B1!

Muskrat Castle is the name of the log cabin on the middle of a lake called Glimmerglass Lake that floating Tom Hutter lives in with his two daughters in James F. Cooper's The Deerslayer. That's the inspiration for this map for Killing Floor.

Except instead of Mingos we're going to be fighting zombies, instead of an old log cabin we have a modernized farmhouse-turned-meeting-center and instead of having it built on wooden posts we have it set on a tiny island.
... but it's still on a lake, for what it's worth. :P

Here are some screenshots:
This image was resized using the screenshot tag.  Click to view the full version

This image was resized using the screenshot tag.  Click to view the full version

I'll release a beta soon.

Last edited by xMurphyx; 6th May 2012 at 10:59 AM.
xMurphyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 02:01 PM   #2
evilmrfrank
Banned

Looks neat, the arches are a really cool touch but the material on them makes them look a little out of place, perhaps something more wooden would look better? The 4th picture reminds me of a COD modern warfare 2 MP map :P

-----------------------
evilmrfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 02:44 PM   #3
xMurphyx

Can I keep them metal but make them non-shiny and maybe a bit darker? I'll try out a few things. Thanks.
Old 5th May 2012, 02:45 PM   #4
Vaskadar
It's time I look back from outer space

Maybe iron with tinges of rust thrown in?
Vaskadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 11:00 AM   #5
xMurphyx

I changed it to brown iron now. Thanks guys.

Also, I updated the OP with a download link to the map! Have fun!

Last edited by xMurphyx; 7th May 2012 at 10:28 AM.
xMurphyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2012, 12:36 AM   #6
Vaskadar

Great map, but a few minor things I noticed. How come the wood beams in the interior have such a lustrous sheen? Shouldn't wood crossbeams not be so shiny? It doesn't really match the texture. Also, would you mind adding another door in between two of the rooms underneath the one large conference/dining room? Getting stuck in those would be a nightmare. It seems that you have a fair amount of movement options for a map of this size, and I feel that the pacing is good.

Excellent map though. I just hope the feedback I provided helps at least a bit.

Last edited by Vaskadar; 11th Jul 2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11th Jul 2012, 05:27 AM   #7
xMurphyx

I need to go over the whole first floor again. I left it as bare as it is because I wanted to get the map out but it's the weak spot, imo. Maybe I'll replace the small room with a shut door and close the big room off with a glass door so you can still look inside but it's not part of the map anymore. Players shouldn't really need the first floor.
I don't know. Haven't thought about the map in a while now.

Do you think I should leave it open and rather add that door you suggested or would you agree that these rooms aren't really needed at all?

(I also need to replace the wall texture on the floor of the atrium. Looks out of place and bugs me. :P)

As for the shiny beams: I made the wood floor shiny to make it look waxed and decided to add the same effect to the beams in an attempt to mimic a bumpmappy looking effect. The shininess hasn't bothered me up to now, but now that you mention it. I gotta tone that down. Thanks!
Old 11th Jul 2012, 05:56 AM   #8
Vaskadar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMurphyx View Post
Do you think I should leave it open and rather add that door you suggested or would you agree that these rooms aren't really needed at all?
I think adding more movement options and making it feel like the map was once inhabited/still is inhabited is pretty important. Maybe you could open up a door between the two rooms and have another doorway that leads to a stairway/balcony? I'm going to have another go at it just to get a better idea of where everything's located in the map.