but you're an amazing lover

I drink moosepiss
Big-Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2012, 09:55 AM   #22
BillyBadAss
Strong Cock of The North

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkED View Post
If you really wanted to get serious with this and turn it into a project, you could always do what I'm planning to eventually do; build a mini-ITX system to go in your car. Then, you mount a 7" touchscreen on your dash, install Linux on the system, load it with MP3's, plug the soundcard line-out into your stereo line-in, and voila! Bob's your uncle.

This also opens you up to some nice extras, like cheap GPS (all you need is a GPS antenna and some open-source software) and on-dash DVD playback.
Or you could just by a mount for your smart phone and connect it to your stereo. It does everything you just mentioned here and won't get stolen since you can walk away with it in your pocket.

When Im watching the news and my daughter walks in and choose to ask. Why were all those people on the floor, sleeping, covered in red? I told her, that they were looking for God, but found religion instead.
De La Soul

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. -Raoul Duke
BillyBadAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2012, 01:24 PM   #23
Kyllian
if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
I'm going to do this. I just bought a new car, but I don't get to pick it up till today and I didn't know you could do that.
Just make sure the stereo can do that as some brands have the USB port just so you can plug in an iPod/iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonkey View Post
I've been semi-following those little beasties and I can't help but wonder why they're not using mini-USB ports, tho it wouldn't surprise me if the mini-USB cost more per piece than standard size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azura View Post
Welcome to BuF, home of the bukkake angel O_o...

Last edited by Kyllian; 6th Apr 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Kyllian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2012, 04:26 PM   #24
Al
Witted One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyllian View Post
Just make sure the stereo can do that as some brands have the USB port just so you can plug in an iPod/iPhone
I made sure. Thanks for saving me from buying an expensive mp3 player when all I needed was a flash drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Al View Post
but you're an amazing lover
Likewise!

Last edited by Al; 6th Apr 2012 at 04:27 PM.
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2012, 05:38 PM   #25
Kyllian
if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

Gar. Mine still runs great even though on occasion it won't recognize that the thumbdrive is in it, which is fixed by yanking and reinserting
I don't blame the tech as the deck is 7-8 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azura View Post
Welcome to BuF, home of the bukkake angel O_o...
Kyllian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2012, 06:18 PM   #26
DarkED
The Great Oppression

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonkey View Post
I know about the Raspberry Pi, but I'm not sure it's powerful enough for what I'd want to use it for. For my mini-ITX build I was going to go with a dual Atom board or an AMD Fusion board, which would far exceed anything the Pi can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBadAss View Post
Or you could just by a mount for your smart phone and connect it to your stereo. It does everything you just mentioned here and won't get stolen since you can walk away with it in your pocket.
I already have one, do that, and it works fine. But it's not enough. The screen is too small to be relevant while driving and there's not nearly enough storage. I could buy and mount an iPad instead, but **** that.

Also, all you have to do to keep someone from stealing your CarPC is to use a case made of cold-rolled steel (i.e. they'd have to use a plasma torch to get it out) and mount it with security bolts (the kind that require a special tool to drill out.) Sure, they might still be able to get it out, but the amount of trouble would not make the end result (a mangled, broken bit of hardware) worth it. The touchscreen is a problem, but I've seen steel casings with mounts for those too. The whole point in theft-proofing your car is to make it a lot harder to steal from than the car parked next to it.

Last edited by DarkED; 6th Apr 2012 at 06:24 PM.
DarkED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2012, 02:23 AM   #27
zynthetic
robot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyllian View Post
I like my stereo. Has a USB port built in so just dump music on a thumbdrive and plug it in
This. I've got one of these which also lets passengers waste their phone batteries.