News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > News & Articles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th Jun 2011, 08:56 AM   #1
hal
Dictator
 
hal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov. 24th, 1998
Location: ------->
Posts: 21,375
BeyondUnreal Reviews Duke Nukem Forever

Twelve or thirteen years ago, BeyondUnreal's original home was just starting to take off. Around that same time, Duke Nukem Forever switched to the Unreal Engine and began a long and troubled development cycle. Around 2009 Gearbox Software reached out to the floundering 3D Realms and helped shove the final product towards the finish line, acquiring the rights to Duke along the way.

So here we are with game in hand. Good? Bad? Both? The game is selling very well and critics and fans are sharply split. Check out our review for one opinion.



__________________
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Alhanalem
Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
 
Alhanalem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb. 21st, 2002
Location: Ivalice
Posts: 2,220
I think the game was mostly slammed just for not living up to 13 years of hype. It's hardly a bad game, and it makes you laugh. It's not an amazing game, but I don't feel it deserves the panning the press is giving.
__________________


^click here to visit my dragons^ Canya put some bonus points in me drinkin' skill?
http://savage2.s2games.com
^ This is a really unique game, get it.
avatar (c)square enix
Alhanalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2011, 05:43 PM   #3
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill
 
Sir_Brizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb. 3rd, 2000
Location: >:3
Posts: 25,632
I think it was slammed because it's a game that feels, plays, looks and is clearly designed around 2004. Half Life 2 would take the same beating if it were released today. The game mechanics people are used to today are much more streamlined than they were back then and the game just doesn't feel that "good" for 2011.

Now, comparing it to games in 2004, it would have been pretty good...
__________________
64 65 61 74 68 62 6f 6f 67 65 72 73 20 6d 6f 74 68 65 72 20 6f 66 20 63 6f 75 72 73 65

Liandri Archives - A veritable smorgasbord of information about the Unreal series
If Titanic taught me anything, it's to never let go until you're a frozen corpse staring hopelessly into a barren horizon.
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Capt.Toilet
Good news everyone!
 
Capt.Toilet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb. 16th, 2004
Location: Ottawa, KS
Posts: 5,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
I think it was slammed because it's a game that feels, plays, looks and is clearly designed around 2004. Half Life 2 would take the same beating if it were released today. The game mechanics people are used to today are much more streamlined than they were back then and the game just doesn't feel that "good" for 2011.

Now, comparing it to games in 2004, it would have been pretty good...
So why didn't most reviewers do that? Seems to me they just wanted to jump on the bandwagon and give it a piss poor review, which is not right. The game is obviously the version they re started back in 03-04, so review it as such.
__________________
Capt.Toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Twrecks
Spectacularly Lucky
 
Twrecks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar. 6th, 2000
Location: In Luxury
Posts: 2,601
So is this a Pamela Anderson scale? 10 years ago she'd be a 9/10, in 2011 maybe a 5...

Nice way of getting around giving an Unreal game a score
__________________
If you're not having fun, you shouldn't be doing it.
Twrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill
 
Sir_Brizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb. 3rd, 2000
Location: >:3
Posts: 25,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Toilet View Post
So why didn't most reviewers do that? Seems to me they just wanted to jump on the bandwagon and give it a piss poor review, which is not right. The game is obviously the version they re started back in 03-04, so review it as such.
Why? The problem is, gaming has evolved. The old "drag out each level with repetitiveness" bores most people. You can't really pretend like a game came out in 2004 when it came out in 2011.

That said, many current reviewers don't really know what gaming was like pre-2005, especially on PC. Even if they do, it's likely they don't from a critical perspective.

And, of course, part of the problem is that the game has issues even when considered in terms of the 2004 era. I don't think it would have been more than a 7.5 game back then, so time hasn't been kind to it.
__________________
64 65 61 74 68 62 6f 6f 67 65 72 73 20 6d 6f 74 68 65 72 20 6f 66 20 63 6f 75 72 73 65

Liandri Archives - A veritable smorgasbord of information about the Unreal series
If Titanic taught me anything, it's to never let go until you're a frozen corpse staring hopelessly into a barren horizon.
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2011, 07:10 PM   #7
hal
Dictator
 
hal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov. 24th, 1998
Location: ------->
Posts: 21,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrecks View Post
So is this a Pamela Anderson scale? 10 years ago she'd be a 9/10, in 2011 maybe a 5...

Nice way of getting around giving an Unreal game a score
Not sure if you meant the review, but we started a review or two ago not giving out scores and instead trying to present the positives and negatives.
__________________
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2011, 07:29 PM   #8
N1ghtmare
Sweet Dreams
 
N1ghtmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul. 17th, 2005
Location: Where least expected
Posts: 2,358
I was actually surprised how much running and gunning I was able to do in the game, especially in comparison to other games.

At first I thought it was going to play terribly because the level they put in the demo in my opinion is probably the worst level (in terms of game-play) in the entire game.
__________________
N1ghtmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2011, 07:30 PM   #9
Vaginal Epiphany
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun. 11th, 2010
Posts: 138
Honestly, are you guys serious? This game doesn't even hold a candle to the original Unreal, not to mention anything from 2004. Completely uninspired level design, tedious back-and-forth combat (either between ammo caches in boss fights, or lol, cover) and puzzles so stupidly easy you're wondering why they're in the game in the first place.

Ugh. No matter how you slice it, DNF is a terrible game.
__________________
Vaginal Epiphany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2011, 07:58 PM   #10
[NBK]Rattman
Goo God
 
[NBK]Rattman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb. 22nd, 2005
Posts: 459
I think was a pretty good review and pretty much how i feel about what i have played so far!
__________________
[NBK]Rattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2011, 09:25 PM   #11
hal
Dictator
 
hal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov. 24th, 1998
Location: ------->
Posts: 21,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaginal Epiphany View Post
Honestly, are you guys serious? This game doesn't even hold a candle to the original Unreal, not to mention anything from 2004. Completely uninspired level design, tedious back-and-forth combat (either between ammo caches in boss fights, or lol, cover) and puzzles so stupidly easy you're wondering why they're in the game in the first place.

Ugh. No matter how you slice it, DNF is a terrible game.
I didn't see Duke in your Steam profile and I didn't see anyone say it held a candle to Unreal.

Oh, and Unreal 2 called from 2003/04 and says hi.
__________________
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 12:09 AM   #12
elmuerte
Master of Science
 
elmuerte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan. 25th, 2000
Location: the Netherlands
Posts: 1,936
COD: Black Ops can't hold a candle to the original Unreal either, or the original Dark Forces for that matter.

In fact, DNF is much more interesting and fun to play than COD Blops. And I also enjoyed DNF more than the original Crysis.

Of course, those are all my opinions.
elmuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 02:39 AM   #13
-=WolverinE=-
Registered User
 
-=WolverinE=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr. 16th, 2006
Posts: 227
The reason this game is receiving the negative reviews is that the reviewers are certainly NOT familiar with the game's history. When you play a Duke Nukem game, you HAVE to expect one liners and explicit content. This is what the game was about in the first place and DNF uses the same formula, and that's not a bad thing. Stop comparing the game to your "holy grail", and you might as well enjoy it for what it is - FUN!
-=WolverinE=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 05:22 AM   #14
nELsOn
bSnakeCastShadow = True
 
nELsOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug. 18th, 2005
Location: on a plane
Posts: 1,301
Nice read and a really fair review imo. Basically mentioned everything I noticed while playing, pros as well as cons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirTahngarth View Post
I think the game was mostly slammed just for not living up to 13 years of hype. It's hardly a bad game, and it makes you laugh. It's not an amazing game, but I don't feel it deserves the panning the press is giving.
I agree. It's simply impossible to live up to this kind of hype. I played the whole game in basically two sittings because it was just fun to play.
One thing that definitely bothered me was the lack of blood decals though. Blood and gore is such an essential part of a Duke game imo and there's lot of it in DNF. But I never got any decals, when I stomped monsters or executed them, or parts of them hit walls... A minor detail, maybe, but there's blood on the camera and all, so...
__________________


nelson's portfolio
nELsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 09:53 AM   #15
Capt.Toilet
Good news everyone!
 
Capt.Toilet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb. 16th, 2004
Location: Ottawa, KS
Posts: 5,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
Why? The problem is, gaming has evolved. The old "drag out each level with repetitiveness" bores most people. You can't really pretend like a game came out in 2004 when it came out in 2011.

That said, many current reviewers don't really know what gaming was like pre-2005, especially on PC. Even if they do, it's likely they don't from a critical perspective.

And, of course, part of the problem is that the game has issues even when considered in terms of the 2004 era. I don't think it would have been more than a 7.5 game back then, so time hasn't been kind to it.
Ok fair enough, but let me ask you this question. Super Mario Galaxy came out in 2007, got rave reviews, and is based on gameplay from 1996. Why wasn't it panned for having archaic gameplay, yet Duke was.
__________________
Capt.Toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 11:10 AM   #16
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill
 
Sir_Brizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb. 3rd, 2000
Location: >:3
Posts: 25,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Toilet View Post
Ok fair enough, but let me ask you this question. Super Mario Galaxy came out in 2007, got rave reviews, and is based on gameplay from 1996. Why wasn't it panned for having archaic gameplay, yet Duke was.
Because the formula for 3D platformers has pretty much worked since 1996 There haven't been massive changes to that formula really at all since Mario 64. Conversely, FPS games have changed a lot since 1996 both graphically and in terms of gameplay/design.
__________________
64 65 61 74 68 62 6f 6f 67 65 72 73 20 6d 6f 74 68 65 72 20 6f 66 20 63 6f 75 72 73 65

Liandri Archives - A veritable smorgasbord of information about the Unreal series
If Titanic taught me anything, it's to never let go until you're a frozen corpse staring hopelessly into a barren horizon.
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 11:21 AM   #17
ambershee
Nimbusfish Rawks
 
ambershee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr. 18th, 2006
Location: Nomad
Posts: 4,421
Also, because it didn't suck.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00naY View Post
Please send a platypus to Bite_Me. I think it could give some flare to his porno.
ambershee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 11:58 AM   #18
Spiney
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun. 12th, 2010
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
FPS games have changed a lot since 1996 both graphically and in terms of gameplay/design.
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 12:05 PM   #19
hal
Dictator
 
hal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov. 24th, 1998
Location: ------->
Posts: 21,375
Yeah, and that's part of that stupid review. It's a funny, but misleading graphic because most older FPS levels were just as linear, but because of space limitations you ended up doing a lot of backtracking. Go find a key... come back to the door; rinse; repeat. It looks more complex because it folds in over on itself a lot whereas newer games aren't forced to do that so much... you're always seeing something new. Go get an actual modern FPS map and compare it to the old one instead of just using a simple line drawing versus an actual layout.

I agree that I see way too many cutscenes these days though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
__________________
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 01:59 PM   #20
Jacks:Revenge
╠╣E╚╚O
 
Jacks:Revenge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun. 18th, 2006
Location: somewhere; sometime?
Posts: 9,529
that picture is funny because it's true. seeing it again (the Doom map on the left side) really makes me long for the good ole days.
I don't care if you call it "backtracking."

with modern games EVERYTHING is either open-world or a linear cutscene trap which, no matter how glorious or adrenaline packed, still takes you out of the action and makes you feel helpless. even after you get control of your character again, you're left wondering when the next scene will cut into your play. as you walk along it begins to creep into your consciousness, like you're just waiting to step on a land mine.

why can't they design a shooter like they used to?
WELCOME TO GAME. HERE IS BRIEFING:
- COLORED KEYS OPEN COLORED DOORS
- SHOOT ANYTHING THAT MOVES
- FIND THE EXIT OR DIE TRYING

I want big, crazy, puzzle maps with dead ends and hidden rooms and secret powerups and special weapons and hundreds of mindless enemies. I want 10 different guns that I can use at any time. I want a health bar that doesn't regenerate unless you find a health pack such that your success is dependent on speed and accuracy, not finding "cover."

why can't they do this?
you could still have pretty graphics and BLOOM and stuff.
but stop trying to make everything a sandbox or a cutscene trap. why are there only 2 extremes and no middle ground?
__________________
"Aut inveniam viam aut faciam."
Jacks:Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Copyright ©1998 - 2012, BeyondUnreal, Inc.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
Bandwidth provided by AtomicGamer