News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Unreal Development > Modeling & Skinning

Old 28th Apr 2010, 11:30 AM   #1
Rajada

Exporting a model

I've tried Wotgreal and I've tried UTPT, but no matter what I do, the mesh (.3D) file that I export always imports as translucent even though it is not translucent in its original format. Is this something that can be overridden or fixed or am I toast?

Rajada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Rajada

So... even some spam replies would make me feel a little less ignored. :P

Old 29th Apr 2010, 08:52 PM   #3
meowcat
nothing new under the sun

Do you mean it imports back into UEd/UT as translucent? If so, you may want to use/test the tool UnrealFX by jmuh to "flag" the triangles to be normal again. I uploaded the file here.
TD Vehicles v125: HMMWV, MI4Hound, Black Hawk & AH-6 Helicopters, Motorcycle, IFAV Jeep, Abrams Tank
Jetpacks for UT2k4!

Last edited by meowcat; 29th Apr 2010 at 08:57 PM.
meowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2010, 09:38 PM   #4
Rajada

Yes, that's exactly what i meant! Sorry if I wasn't so clear, I was confused at the time. :P Thanks, I'll take a look at the program, sounds like a neat thing to have either way.

BUT, now UnrealFX refuses to open it, giving me the generic 'unexpected end of file' error. ><

If I export as 3ds and use 3ds2unr i get the mesh opened in UnrealFX just fine, but i have no idea how to export 'each animation as a separate file' (NOT each frame as a separate file as UTPT allows me to do) and therefore the animations get corrupted (I can still see the animations assuming I change the uc file to import them, but the vertexes jumble around making jagged polygons rather than the model). Oh, I'm using UMake to compile my project directory.

If I just replace the _a.3d (the animations file) with the one from my .3d export (the one that won't open) it has the same effect but also affects the one non-animated frame that works. (This is a character mesh BTW from basically on old Unreal engine game)

Any ideas?

By the way, thanks for responding.

Last edited by Rajada; 30th Apr 2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 30th Apr 2010, 01:40 AM   #5
War_Master

Use Umodel instead. UTPT and WotGreal always mess up the meshes from the .3d format and it was never fixed on neither one.

Theres a Link for UModel on this thread...

2nd post
War_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 01:52 AM   #6
Rajada

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Master View Post
Use Umodel instead. UTPT and WotGreal always mess up the meshes from the .3d format and it was never fixed on neither one.

Theres a Link for UModel on this thread...

2nd post
Okay, something about these 'command prompt' applications never run right on my PC, how the heck do I use it? I can drag a .u file on it but I can't give any of the export commands because I can't type anything, not that he tells you how to export it as .3d anyway.

So confusing.

Last edited by Rajada; 30th Apr 2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 2nd May 2010, 09:42 PM   #7
Rajada

Okay, great, UModel works... it still gives me the same 'inside out' effect on the mesh, but that is easily fixed by UnrealFX (because it will actually open now). However it deleted or hid the pawn's weapon triangle... and I cannot see it in UnrealFX (in wireframe mode it is no longer there and I can't see it in UModel's preview) so I assume its gone. which is bad because I'm pretty sure you need a weapon triangle for a pawn to work (to display a weapon at least). Any ideas on how to fix that? Does UModel just not export the weapon triangle?

EDIT: I counted (in UnrealFX), the poly count on the mesh exported with UModel is one short. Why doesn't it want to export that triangle and is there any way to make it export it?

Last edited by Rajada; 2nd May 2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:09 AM   #8
meowcat
nothing new under the sun

I have sneaking suspicion that the weapon triangle is a "lossy" component that gets removed from the model upon import (and the data from it is used to create a weapon coordinate for the model). If that is the case you may be out of luck
TD Vehicles v125: HMMWV, MI4Hound, Black Hawk & AH-6 Helicopters, Motorcycle, IFAV Jeep, Abrams Tank
Jetpacks for UT2k4!
meowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:36 AM   #9
Rajada

Yes, possibly, but the other exporters did not remove it. There has to be something I can do. Probably, a stupid question, but can one define a weapon coordinate manually?

Last edited by Rajada; 3rd May 2010 at 01:20 AM.

Tags
export, import, mesh, utpt, wotgreal